Cofused with wording on Mri

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I'm new here and wonder if anyone can help. To cut a long story short I have been suffering with back pain for some time. A while ago I was sent for full Mri. When I went to G.p for results he told me everything had come back clear and was absolutely fine. This was some time ago and have recently hurt my back while moving a sofa. It got me thinking about my previous Mri and got my results out. I am confused by the wording as it says " Not significant"  Does anyone know if this means there was some found but not enough to cause worry. Sorry If this is confusing!!! I am a healthcare asst and have worked in current job for 20 years. It is very physical and every day id full of manual handling. Although I have pain in many areas my most current problem is low back pain, pain down right leg, ankle upper and underneath foot  ant big toe. I also have tingling in lower back and burning stinging feeling. Walking for more than 5 minutes makes right leg feel dead although I don't loose any strength.

The report says...

No significant spinal or foraminal stenosis is seen.

No significant disc protusion seen.

Bulging of cervical, dorsal and L5'S1 disc noted.

No significant facet joint osteoarthrosis is seen.

I think the wording "no significant" is confusing me!

As I said this mri was taken a while ago.

Due to new problems I have had another Mri and am awaiting results for that.

Soryy for such a long winded story. Any advice would be gratefully accepted

Many Thanks, Anna

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you have been in your job for 20 years am guessing you have some wear.and tear as anyone doing lots of manual handling will have but not significant suggests it is not felt to be severe in terms of structurally signigicant

It sounds now like you have classic sciatica so probably need a course of physio or osteopath to reduce symptoms and advice on future prevention

A belt might help with support

U

• Posted

your quick response. That makes sense!!!!  As I said that was an old report. 8 weeks ago while moving a sofa at home something popped in lower back. It brought tears to my eyes and I couldn't move for about 10 minutes!! I as stuck like a statue!!! I was very stiff and over the next few days all of the other symptoms started appearing. If I walk to long leg goes dead (not numb) sitting causes tingling in lower back. Sweeping and mopping is fine at the time but hours later will be in agony. Hoping to get new results back quickly. Been off work for 8 weeks and want to get back as quickly as possible. Thanks again for the quick response.

• Posted

Are you having any treatment ?

I have similar probs and sometimes wear a belt for support . I also use heat patches which are quite helpful

• Posted

Ye as the previous reply suggests because of your job unfortunately this will be seen as normal, I would take your posture very seriously and think a lot more when doing heavy work, I'm sure with physio and maybe swimming or other gentle exercises and core strengthening you should be able to get back on track, I would definitely take this as a bit of a warning, prevention is better than cure, you do not want to end up having an opp, as you will see from this forum it does not end well for most of us, there are a lot of alternative treatments you could try to help with your symptoms, good luck 😊

• Posted

Lots of pain & Caroline thank you. I have had no treatment so far just painkillers. G.p is suspecting a herniated disc. Mr was last week so should get results quickly. I have just had a shock as I have looked at date on the previous Mri and it was actually 7 years ago!!! Isn't believe it was that long ago! Never had treatment because was told everything was fine. Hope I haven't caused to much damage since then!!

• Posted

Chiropractic treatment is really good, look into it 😊

• Posted

No a chiropractor will help align your spine taking any pressure off nerves and discs, you will most likely have to seek out one yourself as this treatment is not on the NHS, have a look into it but make sure you get a good one😊

• Posted

Thank you. I am seeing an osteopath at the moment Ill see how I get on with that. Re chiropractor  how do I know if any good
    • Posted

Do some research and ask around, even ask your doc, it's best to go to someone that has been recommended, however chiro treatment has come on so much in the last 10 years, good luck😊

• Posted

If your GP is right you will be certainly looking benefit from the help of physio or osteopathy.  In my area ( assuming you are in England) you can get about 6 sessions of osteopathy on the NHS.

NHS physio here you only get 20 min appointment and mainly exercise advice you probably   need some manipulation and advice on core strengthening and maybe a belt if doing lots of manual handing

Heat pads may be helpful in the short run

• Posted

Just a quick update! Got results today, no herniation but bulging discs at L4 L5 S1. Been referred for physio but will take your advice and look into osteopath's. Apparently no compression seen so I don't quite understand why I am in so much pain!!! It has been so bad today it has actually made me feel sick!. Anyway I think I have got off very lightly and hope to be pain free and back to work as soon as possible. Thanks for your advice when I needed it and good luck yourselves smile

• Posted

Sound so like good news but frustrating as still no answer to your pain, faucet joints could be a cause? Good luck 😊

• Posted

Try and make sure you get some actual hands on treatment as well as exercises, I just got exercises thats why I am seeing osteopath
    • Posted

I work for the bus and am being referred for physio through work ( occy health) as it will be quicker than gp waiting list. I think they will do hands on work as I'm sure they would like me back smile. Thanks you.

• Posted

The nhs not the bus!!!!!
    • Posted

I did wonder as in an earlier post you said you did a lot of manual handling so when you said you worked for the bus I thought maybe you had stroppy customers.   I think you would have to go via GP for osteopathy,  if its available in your area  , our CCG are looking to stop funding it.  In the short run a belt might help just gives you a bit of stability and prevents more damage while you recover and build up strength to prevent a reoccurance  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.