Cognitive behavior therapy

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was just officially diagnosed with fibromyalgia three days ago, although I believe I've had it for quite a while. My rheumatologist told me that there are no medications that help fibromyalgia. He told me that I have to take control of fibromyalgia or it will take control of me. I was told to start cognitive behavior therapy to help with dealing with my pain. He told me that most people with this condition have had an abusive childhood (but not all people) which would explain why I have this chronic illness now! I'm curious to know if anybody has tried this kind of therapy and it has helped? How many of you have had an abusive past (if you're willing to share)? Thank you in advance :-)

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a very abusive childhood, did nt realise that this would cause problems in later life. I have never been offered CBT, what doe this involve please?
    • Posted

It's more practical with homework assigments wink sort of psychotherapy.
    • Posted

It stands for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and it's based on talking and modifying the way we think and act about whatever your in therapy about. As it means revisiting events in can be a difficult therapy. I personally found it really helpful once I stuck with it.
  • Posted

I was dignoses with FM about 3 wks ago and they say trumamatic add vents can trigger of the pain and other symptoms but the condition is genetic and you can be a carrier for yrs before symptoms I too have been refred for behavioral therapy but there are pain killers that they prescribe for FM suffers such amitrtptalyn which im on and so I've ready many others . I wish you all the best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.