Colcoscopy?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anyone had colcoscopy? Is it painful? My Gp suggested that she will refer me. I am waiting for an appointment at the moment.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Totally painless. They will give you propofol and the procedure takes about 10 minutes or less. The hardest thing for me, and you will hear most people say, was having to drink the prep the night before, but I've heard it's much easier than it was when I had mine done 7 years ago.

When I had mine done (this was before all the meno nonsense, but maybe not since I had been dealing with a year of diarrhea) I woke up feeling very refreshed. Don't worry, you'll be fine. And then when you find out everything was great you won't have to worry about it for another ten years! yay!!

• Posted

What's the drink for Suzanne? Are we talking about the same thing?! It is not colonoscopy, the one I am having is uterus, cervix etc examined colcoscopy. Do I still need a drink?

• Posted

I turned 50 this year so I'm due for one.. I'm not ready to do it now but perhaps next year. Some drinks are worse than others so research that before hand. That will help drinking that stuff a little more.

• Posted

If you are indeed asking about a colcoscopy (gynecological procedure) it is honestly no worse than a pap smear... You will be fine 😃

• Posted

If you're referring to having your lady bits examined, as I suspect, it's not painful according to my daughter who suffers from dysplasia (pre-cancerous cells on her cervix). She gets this every year and a biopsy to see if she needs the cells removed. If no biopsy it's pretty much just like a pap smear.

Good Luck!!

• Posted

Yes Gigi, that's the one. Thank you for sharing your daughter's experience. All the best to your daughter too

• Posted

Yes definitely research the cleanse first. The stuff they gave me to drink tasted like lemon and I don't do lemon. So it made me sick to my stomach. Not painful and I had a good nap.

• Posted

lol! Sorry about my response but I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I've never had a colcoscopy.

• Posted

I just had one done. No pain whatsoever. Results came back normal. Age-related inflammation. I was super nervous for it, but it was quick and painless. I hope it goes well! xo

• Posted

Thank you Cindy. It is reassuring. I am glad a came clear for you. I am guessing I will have a similar diagnosis too. Did they give you anything for the inflammation?

• Posted

They did not. They said it would likely go away/come back, but that it was nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Don't be worrying yourself its absolutely painless and quick. i had one done in 2017.

like suzanne says its the drink thats the hardest to take which is the day before and you must make sure your near a toilet, i took the day off work.

you'll be fine hun x

• Posted

Hi IC,

I am glad you asked this question... I am due for one in November, and the replies have eased my mind.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

Take care,

Sara

• Posted

Good luck to you too Sarah. I will let you know when I had it done. I am still waiting for an appointment. Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.