Cold turkey from xanax... feel awful

Posted , 10 users are following.

Its now day 4 since i stopped taking xanax. I’ve done this cold turkey (which i know is not ideal). 

I took prescribed xanax for 2 months (once per day @ 0.5mg) topped up by non presecribed xanax to sleep (1.5 - 2 per day) for 2 months. 

I feel sick, vision is blurred, so tired and look terrible. Heart is beating really fast.

Im on day 4 of detox. How long will i feel like this?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi John,

Even though you were only on it for a couple of months, you should still taper off.

I suggest that you take a small amount, maybe .5mg for a week or two, and then reduce it to every other day for a week, and so on.

By going cold turkey you are suffering unnecessarily and potentially doing yourself harm.

Best wishes.

• Posted

A case of correcting two mistakes, self pescribing and cold turkey. I would imagine it will take a while for you to get over this staying cold turkey, if you can. You should see a doctor. I take diazepam with an anti depressant. Started on 10mg 4 months ago, now down to 3.75mg, done decreases as and when i felt i could, myself. Felt no side effects so far, just felt slightly better each time. I took it on a regular dose basis, to prevent anxiety and sleep, rather than as and when needed it. Did it this way, as it prevented anxiety building up, and it was roughly what i would take on an as and when needed basis. If it was me, id go back on at least half of your old dose, possibly full amount, get yourself okay, then very slowly decrease, as and when you feel you can. I dont know your medical condition or age, it could be dangerous going cold turkey. See your doctor is best.
  • Posted

I spoke with an emergency dr over the phone and she said that I should take around 250mg or less per day going forward. Ideally I should taper with Diazepam but she said that as i've already gone a number of days without that I could withdraw faster.She also directed me to the Ashton Manual. 

• Posted

How much Xanax are you taking? 250 mgms???????? I am unable to believe that any dr would advise you to taper fast. Incredible. I would seek another opinion.
  • Posted

Hi John

I wanted to send you a message of encouragement and to try to uplift you. It's rough and so scary weaning down from benzo''s. You'll be ok, it might not feel like that right now but, round the corner you'll find a little rainbow waiting for you. Fingers and everything else that can cross is crossed for you. Stay strong and brave. Lollipop

• Posted

Have you got off diazepam on a slow taper, if so can you advise?
    • Posted

Hello Ann

I was never on diazepam. I am on Zoplicone

• Posted

Sorry, my mistake.  Did you manage to get off zopiclone slowly

• Posted

Lol, @ everthing that can stay crossed.

You're a good counsellor.

I hope John gets over this fast, ive had my fair share of horror...

• Posted

I've been on 15mg for 10 years with with NO, repeat NO signs of intolerance. Had to change surgery because of location and a hell bent Dr. Doolittle

who has persisted in weaning down. They reduced the dose by a whopping 70%. The reason why it was prescribed in the first place has now come back with avengance, and has bitten me real hard in the you know what ! Whats the point in that, it's counter productive ! Nothing alternative was suggested, just..wham..bam..take that on your chops patient !! I fully understand that they are addictive, and the ramifications that brings with it, however.. I remain a zillion % tolerant. I have addressed this with them and explained what the reduction is doing to me and they just look at me as if I should be with Wallace & Gromit eating Wensley dale cheese on the moon !! I've gone way past me whits end with this malarkey and still I sit with a bitten you know what.. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Grrrrrr sad

• Posted

Completely agree with what you are saying. 15mg is such a small dose as well. Been on it 4 months, down to 5mg now, and never felt urge to take more than i need. Try asking to see a pysc, to get their approval. Gps will defer to a pysc. A pysc may appreciate your situation better.
    • Posted

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. I struggle to understand the zopiclone hate campaign. My understanding of addiction is that you need more of what you took in the first place. Tolerance is all together different in every shape, way and form and milligram. I'm off to find Wallace and Gromit smile

• Posted

I hope you start to feel better soon. Take care.x
    • Posted

Can I ask you how long u have been taking zoplicone for? Thanks.
    • Posted

I think there is a difference between addiction and dependence. 
    • Posted

Hi My I ask you what you mean by Dr Doolittle? LOL

ut

• Posted

I guess everyone will have a different take on addiction, dependence and tolerance. My take is that physical dependence in and of itself does not constitute addiction, but it often accompanies addiction. The distinction can be difficult to discern. You have to be in it to know it. 10 years is how long I've been tolerant on Zopiclone. That's a long time to have never needed any more mg than what was originally prescribed.

• Posted

P.S. If it ain't broke why on earth would you fix it. Only a Dr.Doolittle would try and fix something that isn't broken. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.