Cold turkey from xanax... feel awful

Posted , 10 users are following.

Its now day 4 since i stopped taking xanax. I’ve done this cold turkey (which i know is not ideal). 

I took prescribed xanax for 2 months (once per day @ 0.5mg) topped up by non presecribed xanax to sleep (1.5 - 2 per day) for 2 months. 

I feel sick, vision is blurred, so tired and look terrible. Heart is beating really fast.

Im on day 4 of detox. How long will i feel like this?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Cold turkey off Xanax is more than 'not ideal' - it can be dangerous and you could end up in the ER with seizures even if you have omnly been taking it for 4 months. These drugs are not to be taken lightly because they alter your brain chemistry. If it were me, i would go back on to your dose, stabilize and taper the Xanax more gradually.

• Posted

Totally agree any dr who advises a fast taper is clearly a risk to patients. Ashton Manual is considered the official guide to tapering. 
  • Posted

How are you feeling now? I've beencold turkey off zop for 36 hours now and feel like crap. Feelings of unreality, shakiness and sweating on my hands and feet. I was only on it for 3 weeks 7.5mg....I feel like hell. Never knew this could happen. Hope you're better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.