cold turkey mirtazipine

Posted , 9 users are following.

Dear All

I thought my thread may be of interest to those few individuals who have been advised by medical professionals to abruptly stop mirtazipine without tapering. (Cold turkey) last night I did not take any mirt and was expecting some horrible WD symptoms today. I spent time stressing 'when is it going to hit me'! Corresponded several times today with Si (forum member). Who is further through WD cold turkey, to get reassurance and information on what to expect. (Big thank you to Si)

Day 1. Apart from a little tired I feel completely normal. Hooray! I understand it can take a few days before WD kick in. my plan is to do a spring clean, just in case I have a few days down. Interestingly I have had no tears or rages today. (Something I have been getting over the past two weeks)

I know my thread will be of little interest to most, but trying to aim my thread to those individuals who are asked to quit abruptly for medical reasons. Will try and update throughout my WD to hopefully help and reassure others. In turn this also helps me on my journey.

I can honestly say i loved mirt for bringing back me! It feels like a sad but necessary parting of the ways!

Wishing health and joy in abundance to you all ♥♥

God bless x

1 like, 119 replies

119 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine

sorry to hear about your granddaughter and hope she's on the mend now and soon the docs know what's going off with her. This sounds like a lot of stress for you and probably like me it's brought on a nervous breakdown and not depression. Hope those links I sent you helped to explain the differences. I forgot to mention the leg problems you can get on withdrawal. Mine drove me mad for about half hour every night after I laid down. All I wanted to do was shake them violently to try and relieve the strange restlessness. Hope you've had a good day today and stick with it. Only reach for the diazepam in extreme cases or you may get dependant on it more as a stick to lean on than a drug if you know what I mean. 

• Posted

that leg irritation is called "Restless Leg Syndrome"  Simon, you can get it on or wd off the Mirt ... eating sugar seems to make it worst.  I feel it's like a mozzie bite in as much as, if you kick your legs about it just gets worse - like if you scratch a mozzie bite it just gets worse.

!

• Posted

Hi Calmer 

the suger certainly does explain it as was was eating a bar of chocolate before I went to bed at the time I was getting the restless legs. 

Its day17 off the mirt for me and been a good day. Hope it continues. But it's a wild ride going cold turkey. 

• Posted

Thank you si.

yes they are back from hospital now and my granddaughter appears well. I have been looking up 'conversion disorder' for my grand daughter as a friend mentioned it her episodes sound similar. I did read your links and found them extremely interesting.

How is your day going? ♥

• Posted

Very interesting. ..I'm always stuffing my face with Cadbury! ♥
    • Posted

Windows and waves, but knowing the waves will be followed by windows helps biggrin
    • Posted

Thats good news about them being back home.

Yestreday was a good day, but today not so good.  Been up most of the night sweating so bad I had to change the sheets and negative thoughts have come back.  I took a Diazepam to try and calm me down but they just dont seem to be working for me.  I'm supposed to be going to the states in March and I keep thinking I cant do it I cant go.  This is how I was in September.  I had strange dreams about the Pirates of the Carabean box sets that woke me in a bit of a flap. No idea why. I think today is going to be a hard one after a good day yesterday.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you've had a bad night with the WD Si.  

Did you think of trying Phenergen (over the counter) for sleep aid at all?  Some people take Temazapam,(prescription) but I understand if you're through with the drugs.  

What you need most of all is sleep, but the damn WD's worst sympton is insomnia ...  ggrrrrr for you !!!

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

I have had it with just about all drugs. It actualy scares me to try anything else now.  I have a customer coming on Saturday who does hypnotherapy, I'm not even sure if I want to try that again!

• Posted

Hi Si. I take temazepam through sheer desparation. I have always been a poor sleeper, even as a baby, but I had almost four years of blissful sleeping with mirtazapine. However, it pooped out on me and I stopped sleeping again and was then plunged into the most terrible depression and anxiety, as bad as it was before I went on it. That is why I am now coming off the mirt. But as I say, I have terrible insomnia and had to beg the doctors to let me have temazepam again. I work from home running a horse livery yard, so can never lie in. I work 24/7/365 and have done that non stop for over ten years. The past couple of years, I have become a taxi driver for my son who works as a chef and so I also have to be up and alert enough at around 11 pm four nights a week. So I lieterally have seven hours in bed as my only chance to get any sleep. There is no lying in bed at weekends to catch up etc. So anyway, back to my point; the temazepam has been my saviour. Sadly, I am now becoming tolerant of that too and the insomnia is returning. I have added herbal sleeping pills to the mix and this has allowed me to cut my dose of temazepam down to 5mg. I hope they keep working, but they are worth a try for you. I tried phenegan but it stopped me breathing! A rare but very dangerous side effect. I hope you get some sleep tonight.
    • Posted

Hi si

I am really hoping your day is going to get better. This illness is the worst i have ever known in my 55 years! It can seem relentless and endless! There is certainly an end but because we tend to feel so ill, we find it impossible to believe. You will certainly be going to the states, as you will be feeling a whole lot better by then. If after a full six weeks you find yourself still being tortured. Please go back to your gp, it may be this med is not going to be effective for you. The right med can make a tremendous difference. This may be the right med for you and your symptoms could be the body accepting it instead of rejecting it. Six weeks your gut instinct and ease up of side effects. .will tell you.

sweating part is horrid but it does pass, along with tremors, dizziness, nausea etc.

The tears will also dry up and god willing this med will be good to you.

please update when you can.

god bless ♥

• Posted

Ugh, I had those sweats in Effexor withdrawal; wake with the sheets wet top and bottom, rivulets of sweat running down by body, and then freezing to death, trying to roll out of the wet area!  No fun!  And the weird dreams coming out of nowhere, had that happen early this morning.  I woke at about 4 AM and just couldn't get back to sleep.  When I finally did an hour or so later, I had weird stress dreams.  So, I empathize, Si. 

Your turn around was pretty quick, so hopefully, tomorrow you will wake in another window :-)

• Posted

Hi ♥

Day 5

Woke up with all round malaise and irritability. Stomach anxiety if that's possible! Trying to keep occupied replying to posts. Not bloody helping lol!

Taken diazepam reluctantly!

Hope the day in front of you all turns out to be a good one ♥ ♥

• Posted

Yes stomach problems are often the main withdrawal symptom of mirtazapine. I hope it gets better for you soon. Remember, if it gets really bad, you may be better reinstating a tiny amount of mirtazapine such as the 1.875mg (one eighth of a 15mg pill) I am on. It may be enough to settle you down a bit without the unwanted side effects. But if you can stand it, just keep going with the cold turkey x
    • Posted

Thanks evergreen

the irritability and uncomfortable weird feeling in my stomach is the most annoying aspect as it stops my get up an go! Going to stick with it for now! I have a follow up call from my doctor booked for Monday. Hoping I'm better by then. If not, I may give It one more week!

Wishing you a great day ahead calmer ♥ god bless x

• Posted

Meant to say god bless evergreen! ...not with it today sorry ♥
    • Posted

God bless you too Lorraine, hope your tum gets better soon.   Do you have nausea also?  

x

• Posted

Hi calmer

spent my day in bed and have now taken two diazepam today. Only way to explain it is like nothingness! Not happy, not sad but everything is an effort! Guess I do feel depressed if I'm honest! Appetite gone but crave kiddy sweets!

Thanks for being here and sorry for the downer! ♥how is your day going?

Much love xx

• Posted

Oh Lorraine you poor thing! Have those kiddie sweets, your body probably needs to raise its sugar level. And God bless to you too x
    • Posted

Thank you evergreen

glad today is coming to an end! Tomorrow is a brand new day!

I cannot thank you enough for your support xx

• Posted

I have the stomach anxiety too - try some chamomile tea to help calm it.

I'm down to 1.5mg - my last dose before that was 1.75mg & just that slight change has made me go into very bad withdrawals.

• Posted

Hi Mel

thank you I will give the chamomile a try. As you may see the insomnia is also in play! its now 2.30am (UK) and sleep is eluding me! Taking a Diazepam and hope iwill catch a couple of hours zzz's ! Sorry to hear you also have stomach anxiety, it's so unpleasant. I have spent all day waiting for sleep...and now I'm wondering if I will even get any lol.

What time is it with you? I truly hope your symptoms leave you quickly, to give you a well deserved good day♥

Thank you again for your post

god bless xx

• Posted

I've been awake since 2am too and it's now 4:15. I'm watching the snow outside. I bet you've not cut down on the coffee have you? I eat two cream eggs and the sugar rush is keeping me awake. Search for sleep hygiene for tips and I also find camomile tea helps.
    • Posted

Mirt' & sugar seem to have a bad reaction for me too, it's documented somewhere but hey ... we live & learn, it switches on the RLS, restless leg syndrome too I think.  

Sorry Lorraine & Si, the sleep issue is the worst for wd ... it is awful.  If you manage to have a nap afternoons it helps, although I understand the anx' may be max at that time, but worth a try.

Hope the good days increase soon and the bad days become fewer x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.