College discrimination

Posted , 12 users are following.

So since my surgery I have been trying to go back to college as i have exams at the end of the month. My college told me they wouldnt even let me come toclass or on the premisses unless I was in a wheelchair. Iv been on the government website and apparently that is against the law. I have now got a wheelchair so that isnt the main problem.

The main problem is I need a room to myself as sitting for more than 10 minutes leaves me in agony that sometimes does reduce me to tears, so having my own room means i can stand up and shake the pains of when needed, also along with shaking of the bum pains from sitting and stiffness from surgery. College will not do this unless I have a letter frommy GPs or surgen. Well my GPs are addament they will not write me a letter as they dont do these types of letter anyone, but they did say they may write me a letter to confirm to college theydont write letters. My surgeons secutery said they can only write me a letter if the college write to them first with my signature on it to, which seems simple enough right? wrong, college are refusing to write me that letter and say I have to obtain it myself when its clear i cannot.

Now the main question is, is this discriminating to my current disabilties and because of recovering from surgery.

Anyone work in a college or school and have any ideas on this? Ill add im from the UK as each country has its own laws and legislations and so on

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Sarah, hope you are recovering well. I think what you are requesting are known as "reasonable adjustments". There's a big section on the disability rights uk site which deals with adjustments for students. There's a link to find the disability advisers at particular colleges and They also give a  student helpline 0800 328 5050. So if you haven't already done so, it may be worth checking this out. Good luck!
    • Posted

Yeah i actually found that site yesterday. I think the issue is because its special arangments for my exams, if the exam board came accross me in a random room and they hadnt heen informed my exam papers could be torn up xx
  • Posted

I am amazed, disgusted, fuming, and yet laughing at the stupid situation they have put you in.

You look around this Country and see all the idle layabouts who don't want to go to College or even to work and yet someone who does, that has overcome all your obstacles so far they keep putting the spanner in the works for you. I don't know actually where you live, or what you need to do and know even less about the education system but if I can be of help at all don't be afraid to ask.

Keep yer chin up love we're all behind you. Love Gillxxxx

• Posted

You are so right. I had the same thought. Anyone my age and in my situation would be using this as a great excuse to miss college and exams. All i want is to go back and they are making it so complicated. Iv missed 2 lessons now and im so upset about it xxxx
    • Posted

Hear hear from me.!!!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

This young lady deserves all the help she can get.

I wish I knew what to suggest but it is many years since I was in education so have no idea.

Just wish her all the luck in the world.

Joyx

• Posted

Hi, Sarah

This is ridiculous! I agree with Michel & Bini. The first step might be to see the disability services office at your college to advocate for you. Perhaps they might be the ones to write the letter for your surgeon to sign? Maybe just the mention of going to your MP might set things in motion. Not a complaint, just an idea you have if you don't get help. Let us know how things go? Hugs to you.

• Posted

I rang and it looks like the college doesnt even have a member of staff who deals with disabled students.

If this phone call doesnt go to plan i will be complaining though xx

• Posted

hello darling, 

good luck - so many good responses here - 

When is your exam? 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Sounds ridiculous?!
    • Posted

It is. College have told me not to get my hopes up about being given my special requirements. So that means the college are going to make md sit and suffer agonising pain for over 2 hours....
    • Posted

Phone your MP Sarah they will help and will probably be quicker than the other routes Love Gillxx
    • Posted

What could the MP actually do? Apparently its college policy that they cannot contact a medical proffessional on behalf of a student xxx
    • Posted

It's surprising how many strings they can pull for you love. To start with they seem to be discrimminating against you.  At this stage so that you can sit your exams anything is better than nothing if the College won't help you. Love Gill xx
    • Posted

Very true. Iv worked all year for this xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.