College discrimination

Posted , 12 users are following.

So since my surgery I have been trying to go back to college as i have exams at the end of the month. My college told me they wouldnt even let me come toclass or on the premisses unless I was in a wheelchair. Iv been on the government website and apparently that is against the law. I have now got a wheelchair so that isnt the main problem.

The main problem is I need a room to myself as sitting for more than 10 minutes leaves me in agony that sometimes does reduce me to tears, so having my own room means i can stand up and shake the pains of when needed, also along with shaking of the bum pains from sitting and stiffness from surgery. College will not do this unless I have a letter frommy GPs or surgen. Well my GPs are addament they will not write me a letter as they dont do these types of letter anyone, but they did say they may write me a letter to confirm to college theydont write letters. My surgeons secutery said they can only write me a letter if the college write to them first with my signature on it to, which seems simple enough right? wrong, college are refusing to write me that letter and say I have to obtain it myself when its clear i cannot.

Now the main question is, is this discriminating to my current disabilties and because of recovering from surgery.

Anyone work in a college or school and have any ideas on this? Ill add im from the UK as each country has its own laws and legislations and so on

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

At this point, I think the consensus is correctly that you should phone your MP and get him/her involved and I agree. It seems a drastic step, but it isn't - not for the issues involved here (your success and the principle of equal rights). It is the school's job to figure out how to do this so that the exam board is happy. Your MP should break the beyond stupid battle about who should write a letter first (school or doctor), although I have to believe there is a standard form for this (perhaps the student helpline could help with this element).

It IS ridiculous that you have been put in this position - a senseless bureacratic battle gone mad without consideration for the most important person in this situation: a young woman determined to complete her education despite multiple health challenges. It is almost enough for a book or movie.

Initially I expressed caution about going to the newspapers (and I remain cautious about this) but this boondoggle has to be resolved and it would be good for your MP to see how ridiculous the two offices are behaving.

Good luck Sarah ... I mean that very seriously . Of course I want you to get this accomodation, but you are also a symbol for equality as well.

Xxx

• Posted

I totally understand you but id be concerned that doing this would cause more harm than good.

My dad is a SEN teacher in a secondary school so if things still go bad ill get him to speak to college because he knows what hes talking about as he makes these requirements for exams for his kids.

I had a phone meeting with the head of exams in college today and was told "not to get my hopes up for special arrangements to be made if i cannot provide evidence"

Personally i believe one look at me is evidence enough.

Although your point on this making a good book or film is true 😂 xx

• Posted

Oh Sarah - this so much drivel! I simply cannot believe it.

I'm not sure why you are resisting going to your MP (I would in a flash). But you have to be comfortable with the route you take. But dont lose sight of your goal - to complete your exams successfully without risking even more pain or damage. I have worked with several federal and provincial members of parliament here (helping recent immigrants, sorting out paperwork for others) and it is amazing how they can cut through red tape when warranted - because they know the buttons to push and push back firmly against this type of silliness).

So please don't discount it if you are not successful with the head of exams.

Goodness me but you are strong - I would be so angry, that I would be spitting (isn't that a lovely image).

With one of Renée's lely big warm hugs.

• Posted

Im handing in some evidence tonight. If i get knocked back after that I really may have to take drastic mesures. Although id be nervous incase my MP just says the same thing as the college

Aww thankyou xx

• Posted

He won't Sarah he will help and push buttons as Linda says.

Love Gill xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.