Colonoscopy fear- hel

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am due to have a colonoscopy on Saturday and I'm sat here feeling like I want to cancel the fear I feel is immense I've heard good and bad things and like always you cling on to the bad I'm also full of cold and on my period so tripley fed any words of encouragement? 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No need to fear the procedure as you should be given a sedative which should knock you out for most of the procedure so you are unlikely to be aware of it. There are people who do not respond to the sedatives but very few. It can be uncomfortable but hopefully you will not be that conscious during the procedure or at least most of it so it will pass quickly. The consultant may ask you to move position towards the end of the procedure but it should be nearly over by then and this can wake you up from the effects of the sedative. Anyway you will feel an immense sense of relief when it is finally over and you have been medically checked over and hopefully reassured. Don't worry about it no need 

• Posted

Thank you Louise I am going to opt to have sedation so hopefully this will make it easier to take thank you for your reply 
  • Posted

Stephanie you need to call your physician's office and let them know that you're menstruating they may cancel the procedure to begin with. Not everyone response to the sedative therefore you could be awake during the entire thing and everything I've heard from everybody  unsedated was that it is extremely painful and very very uncomfortable but again I would think the ministration part would have more to do with it then anything else

• Posted

Thank you- I did call them and they said it would be fine to go ahead whilst having my period as I did think that may change things. 
  • Posted

Hi, I was very scared too. I opted for no sedation as hate feeling out of control.  The Dr took great care, and told me when he was putting more air in etc. There were only 3 times when I felt it was a bit painful and only lasted for seconds.  I was told that the sedation doesn't stop you feeling the pain, it only stops you remembering afterwards. I could have had gas and air but it wasn't that bad.  

I did find the Moviprep to be worse than the procedure,  only because it tasted vile and had to drink so much in one go.  

I hope that it goes well for you. 

Let us know how you get on. 

😊

• Posted

Thank you Amanda that's reassuring I have to start the prep this afternoon so just trying to relax and chill out this morning. 

• Posted

You can probably have it in two lots then.. I started mine at 5pm and had to drink both lots  before bed. Are you having some tom morning?  You will have read about having ice with it and drinking through a straw.  I didn't manage the last glass... but it worked anyway so don't worry too much if you cannot drink the last bit.  I did feel a bit shaky at one point,  but not for long.  Good luck ??

• Posted

On the card it said to take the 1st one at 5pm then the 2nd around 8pm it doesn't say about the morning just to stop drinking fluids 2 hours before my appointment is at 9.45. I'm got some apple nice as someone said its easier to drink with that and some lemon and lime jelly just to keep my energy levels up. 

• Posted

I suffer from health anxiety and ALWAYS cling to the bad. I agreed to the colonoscopy only because I had so much anxiety worrying what could be wrong with me. I'm so glad that I did! The colonoscopy was seriously no big deal and I would do it again with no fear or hesitation. Promise!

• Posted

Thank you that's reassuring I am on anxiety medication which I normally take at night I wonder if taking it in the morning would help I should have asked oh well I'm currently 2 glasses down of the prep 😷 OMG can they not make something which isn't so hard to do 

• Posted

Lol...I know! Be sure to post a follow up to let us know how well you did. Curious also to know what anxiety med you take. I definitely need one, but afraid of side effects. ( go figure!)
    • Posted

I take amitrypline only 10mg they help me sleep also as I have major problems sleeping. I've managed to get all the prep Down which was hard going in so tired but still up and down the soreness is terrible even with sudocrem. Will post how it went 2mora X 

• Posted

Hope you are ok. It's so vile and agree it shouldn't be 😩 . I did read on one site they took tablets, sounds a better option.  I was retching at the end.  Hope it all goes well tom and they find nothing wrong. ??

• Posted

I found the last 2 glasses hard to get down I was pacing up and down the kitchen but it's done now! I'm so tired still going on and off and the soreness is bad 😢 I've had no pain or cramping though and no real eruptions it's just been a steady night I've been about 20 odd times tho and it's like a yellow my clear water now so I'm hoping I've done a good prep... Will post when it's all over X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.