Colonoscopy: MoviPrep Help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy on Tuesday. I was provided with MoviPrep as my prep. The last time I used this I struggled to drink it and made me feel extremely ill. Has anyone any tips on how I can deal with the taste? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I do sympathise...I had a colonoscopy last week and was given awful tasting Kleenprep....which I think is similar to Moviprep. In all my previous colonoscopies I was given Picolax which I was ok with ..mainly because you take that in a small glass of water ..then drink clear water separately. My advice would be the following....

1. I was told i could put some light coloured cordial in the solution..maybe you could do the same.

2. Drink and sip the solution slowly.. don`t gulp it down!

3. Drink it through a straw so as to bypass the gag reflex in your throat.

4. As a last resort there is an anti sickness tablet that has come off preccription and is now available over the counter in the UK...its called Buccastem M. A tablet is placed on your gum and it slowly dissolves. My GP and pharmacist said that this would not conflict with the Kleenprep or any sedatives and it seemed to work for me...although I did NOT take it on the day of my procedure. NOTE!: Please check with your GP or Pharmacist about Buccastem as I don`t know if you are taking any other regular medication.

5. I was given 4 sachets of Kleenprep. In the manufacturers instruction leaflet it said there was no need to take the 4th sachet if my stools were watery and semi/ clear...mine were so I didn`t take it and my consultant said he got a really good view..so play it "by ear".. good luck!!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help! smile 
    • Posted

No probs! ...I got the all clear last week, for the next 2 years,...hope you do too. Consultant did my colonoscopy...didn`t hurt a bit!. He couldn`t find his pen when he`d finished... so I thought he might have to go back in again to find it !!!!!!

Regards!

• Posted

Im glad to hear you got on good! Oh wow, that must have been a panicky moment for you! haha.. I'm getting it done tomorrow so i'll update you then! smile 

• Posted

Yes! (1)Try and get the orange version which is less sickly than the lemon one. (2)Make it up the day before and put it in the fridge. It’s much easier when it’s freezing cold. (3) Don’t get panicky and try and down it all as if you were in the Olympics (even water would make you feel sick if you did this). Take it steadily and have a glass of cold water (I use sparkling) to sip at in between. It’s not a race, so take it steadily. The last lot is a bit much for everyone so take it very steadily. To be honest, it doesn’t matter much if you can’t quite finish it. Half the problem with the prep is physical and half is psychological. Moviprep is bulky because it replaces your lost salts and electrolytes so actually you feel much less bad globally. I think having it cold is crucial (no one would like to drink a sweet drink like lemonade or orangeaid WARM) and not panicking. There’s nothing to panic about. The precise instructions don’t matter as long as you get it down. It’s the volume that is the problem: we have all drunk similar tasting drinks as kids, so just take it cold and steady and don’t worry if the last dose isn’t quite completed.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your help! Im going to make sure to chill it this time. Last time I was panicking so much I was just trying to down it. Hopefully this time it goes a lot better smile 
  • Posted

I agree with the others - drink very cold and through a straw... it is vile and I had to drink it all the night before- I couldn’t finish the last 250 mls- not for a million pounds- sounds ridiculous now- but I would have vomited it all back up. Made me feel very shaky... toilet wise ok- nothing too urgent.  Good luck 
    • Posted

Thank you! Definitely going to invest in some straws tomorrow! 
  • Posted

I found a prep posted back in about 2002 , by an RN. Good intake less and less for a week, and ducolox. Anyway my gastro approved it. He thought I may dislike being hungry. It's probably too late now, but Gosh, I am next in line. I get so the prep bring me to black out phase. I cannot keep fluids down😥. I think every one has great advice here. Will stay tuned. My first prep 20 years ago, we had one glass of mixture, and we were cleaned out. They pulled that from the market. I dunno, I hate it for us, but I just did the cologuard test where you send in still sample, and they test it. I got positive results so I need colonoscopy anyway. Wishing you the BEST.

• Posted

Sorry have not figured out how to edit my post, fix typos.
  • Posted

Hi. Add it to milk ? Ive been using ut fir 2 days and you're right , the taste is disgusting. Try milk though. It helps it go down . Best to try it in one go than try it am & PM .

• Posted

I don’t think you are supposed to take ANY milk 24 hrs prior to the test - in my instructions it was clear that you could only have clear liquids and tea and coffee had to be “black” so I’d check that.
    • Posted

Hi. Yes . I should have made clear. Add the sachets to milk after the procedure . Not before. I had an anal polyp for biopsie purpose removed ,and a very large hemmoroid tied . This was on Thursday 23rd of March. Felt okayish until Sat ( obviously PK injection worn off. ) I'm in absolute agony. Pain with a vengeance. Drinking Movicol & now having to take Acupan pain killer meds as Ibrobrufen & paracetamol was not touching the pain. I've had a BM on day 3 and thought I was going to literally die from the pain. I've gone back to bed Sunday as it was horrendous pain & I couldn't do anything. It's Wednesday and still I'm in bed as only able to walk about for a bit . GP has now given me Diazepam as a muscle relaxer . When will this horrendous pain go ? Took painkillers today just to knock me out ... been eating fibre - no hot meals , drinking water like my life depends on it and still excruciating BM & pain. The dog thinks I'm dying due to me moaning and groaning with The pain. I feel like my Bottom is sewn up ... worst thing I've ever experienced and can't believe the agony I'm in. ...

• Posted

For sure no milk, all clear liquids. I am praying when my time comes, I can have orange gatorade

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.