Coming off Amitriptyline cold turkey

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have spent 4 month trying to ween off, now its cold turkey. stopped taking

amtrip last night. already feel slightly better, but heighten anxiety..Scala of 1-10

cheers Secretsan 

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Are they proper meds? I always worry about just stopping antidepressants , you should chat with your GP , tell them what you are doing 
    • Posted

No they are not proper meds thank the heavans. But it works for me, i have used and done this before. When i started taking the amtrip it was for anxjity and most of the  most of the circumstances have changed so the anxiety has gone, apart from the meds that are still in mysystem. I feel much clearer, my brian fog is going and my reaction have quickend. My energy is back, and the headachs are mild, I drink more water..  The amtrip did work for a time, and i was glad of it. It just stop helping me. I would stair in to space just like i do in my bouts of deep depression. i thank you all for your feedback.  ps sorry about my spelling.
  • Posted

Hi just reading all your comments about amitriptyline and coming off them , I've been taking them for about 7 years now 75mg at night , I've never felt spaced out on them so they must affect people differently . Does any one have any more side affects with them x
    • Posted

Just slowed me right down , and made me really short tempered . But got rid of the pain and helped me sleep 
    • Posted

I'm on them went from 25 mgs to 50 for fybromayagia.....now I I am having wierd feelings like creepy crawy things under my skin and it's driving me nuts! But with Fybromayagia I don't know if it's that are the meds! If you look up Fybro it's almost every dang symptom in the medical books! I stay confused and never know what to think and my Dr. Says it's Fybro! I think there's something else!

• Posted

Hi Pep's 4days in and didn't sleep until 1am last night, but thats all good as i went through the night until seven.Yhhhhh. On the 1-10 scala i feel a 4..so am happy with that. Cheers all i hope u have a good day. I will give it a go. off the choose to change @ the Doc's I see the shrink to day JUST IN TIME. dear i say "I feel good" siad as Jamse brown world say it. I'm showing my age now. have a good one san
    • Posted

Hi All, day  5..........bad headach through the night had to wake up and take

2 250 naprxoen, i never take 2 normaly. Anyway feel very flowty and in a cloud not a fog. I have a shrink for sixweeks, so hopefuly i will come out the other side with some clarrity? Pam39536 hear you on the short tempered, that was mondy. thanks Ange spaced out yp that it to-day.

• Posted

HI all,

well 6 days in and still doing well energy coming back had 5 hours #' the gym..Yh!

So glad i came off the amtrip....it was right for me, I'm still taking 15 to 20 mls when i work out. of L-G....and acidophilus. and chromium picolinate to manage my sugars. 7 days 2moro........

• Posted

Another side effect maybe . I had a croaky throat nearly all the time I was on it ..anyone else have this?
    • Posted

HI Pam, No didn't have that..dry mouth all the time. The other thing i have notice my fat on my arms and leg's were the fat is most dosn't hurt any more when i squez it. That's new. I didn't take amtrip 4 pain just depression.

i'm still sleeping well enough. I'm up past 12 @night, and up by 7am if i don't shut the curtains. I hope all is well with you next week for your knee op.  xsan

• Posted

Yes, I had really dry mouth . Didn't notice any sort of numbness . Good luck to you too 
    • Posted

Hi, I had the really dry mouth and also noticed pain in my arms and thighs. I also had numbness in my left arm which is much improved since coming off. Only down side - pain in head/ face is worse.
    • Posted

Yes, they do seem  to work on the nerve pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.