Coming off Amitriptyline cold turkey

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have spent 4 month trying to ween off, now its cold turkey. stopped taking

amtrip last night. already feel slightly better, but heighten anxiety..Scala of 1-10

cheers Secretsan 

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

11-days to day, yesterday was a very flu.. day yes like a cold coming. This is just the toxins NOT leaving my body. The reason for coming off amitriptyline..Is partly, they stopped working and craving carb's and have gained over 3 stone in less then a year. Had very little energy, & V  LOW MOOD.

I left NZ 2012 my hart rate was 50 bets A minuet. My blood pressure was 88/74. yes its always been low so is my mother and her mothers and her mother lived to be 90 back in 1930-40tys she also had 13 children. 

I was at the gym yesterday! A year ago and after being here a year, (a stressful year.) My BP had gone too 117/89 yes normal for other people and even GOOD. FOR me high. And as of yesterday its higher still. Whic brings me back to the other reason i had to come off AMTIP....when i took my PSYLLIUM HUSK IT WOULD REMOVE....the amtip...form my systum. So last year i cut it down.....and have found my health suffering. So as of yesterday i have added it back in high does. I was taken 5ml of psy-husk 2-3 a-day. It weighs very light as its the husk, not powder.  I have up it to 5g 3 times a day, my (flu) or cold has gone.

As well as some of the toxic discomfort i had around my joints.

My mood is all so back up as it had been very teary.

cheers san

• Posted

I Dont Know If Im Doing This Right sad

Hi All I've Been On Amitriptyline For 6 Yrs 75mgs I Had To Come Off Them To Start A New Antidepressants But Im Doing It Over 3 Days ... I Had 3 On Moday 2 Yesterday And Then 1 Tonight Then None... I Have Fuzzy Head All Day And Very Light Headed  

• Posted

It seems very quick to come off, especially after 6 years . I was on them for 3 months and came  straight off, but I had an upset tummy and really bad headache for 2 weeks .can you take a low dose with your new tablets  for a short while ? 
    • Posted

I would do it much slower than this. My Dr told me to reduce by 10 mg every 6 days and even that was quite difficult. Xx

• Posted

Thanks for getting bak to me I've got fibromyalgia and taught the pain was bad but my brain refuses to work lol will go bak to see doc 👍😃
    • Posted

Thanks for getting bak to me I've got fibromyalgia and taught the pain was bad but my brain refuses to work lol will go bak to see doc 👍😃
    • Posted

I'm so confused with withdrawals and fibro fog don't know if I'm coming or going will visit doc again Ty for ur message 👍😄
    • Posted

I'm so confused with withdrawals and fibro fog don't know if I'm coming or going will visit doc again Ty for ur message 👍😄
    • Posted

Hi . I know you posted a few years ago but I was wondering if you could help me. I have been on Amitripiline ( small dose 5-10 mg) for only 3 months also and I'm slowly weening it. How did you do it and did you have any withdrawal issues. My tummy hurts periodically when I dropped it from 4 mg to 2.5. On and off insomnia. I'm wondering how long this will last ?

• Posted

I have started to come off my Amitriptyline after being on this for about 10 years, I have been on 150-100-50 mg but in the last 2 months I have gone down to 25mg and now I am going down to 20 then 10 then in 2-3 weeks I will finish them altogether. I was given another med named Lustral to take 50mg daily but I will try my best to stop altogether so fingers crossed.
  • Posted

Hiya, I am 3 weeks into going cold turkey with amitrip, suffering insomnia for last 2 weeks or so, but i'm battling it best i can, how you getting on now????
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing this secretsan. It has been 7 months since your post, how is it all going for you? I have decided to quit amitryptanol cold turkey- starting tonight. I have just come out of rehab, come off everything except the amtrip. I saw your posts and it seemed that while it was difficult, you managed to push through the withdrawals?
  • Posted

I started taking Amitriptyline 5 months ago. Am going to come off it now as it is making my mouth all dry. Not very nice. Can i come off it cold turkey?
    • Posted

Hi hannah. I just want to let you know that quit taking nortriptyline (cold turkey) 2 weeks ago after having taken it for 6 weeks at 20mg...I had the went through a nightmare coming off of this drug! It's been 2 weeks since I stopped taking the drug and i am still having really bad heart palpitations, insomnia, feverish temperature and headaches and shortness of breath. I'd suggest you taper it off.
    • Posted

Yes last week I had the most awful week as I went 4 days without them- my parents were away so i was home alone. and I was on 100mg a day as recommended by my Pschotherapist.

eventually went to see my doctor and am now taking 50mg each evening.

you are right they are awful drugs!

I am going to pursue a completely herbal route. Have you heard of Patrick Holford? He is a very good author so I am taking food supplements instead.

i called 111 and they suggested i go to A and E but there was nobody to drive me!

• Posted

Hi hannah. Yes it's better to taper it off. I still have all of the withdrawal symptoms listed above. I do noticed the feverish temperature has significantly decreased. It is however been replaced with a terrible case of dizziness and vertigo. I would describe it more like my head and body is constantly swaying left and right and forward and backwards. Overall, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight to all of this! I ended up going to emerge 3 times for my rapid heart rate. I was given lorazepam and xanax to help calm me down. If you're trying to quit cold turkey again, which i don't suggest, make sure you have someone there to look after you!

I've been wanting to take supplements for awhile. So once I'm done with this withdrawal I'm going to look into taking supplements for my headaches. I've heard good things about magnesium, vitamin d, riboflavin etc. I tend to think that there's always something more natural thati can take instead of loading myself up with drugs.

Btw, i don't know what your reason is for coming amitryptyline, but my reason for coming off the nori is because I was getting frequent heart palpitations and muscle spasms all over my body! And it only decreased the intensity of the headaches and not get rid of them.

Take care all!

• Posted

How long did your withdrawal last? I've been on it for only 2 months (5-10 mg) , trying to taper it this past month and I'm having a hard time. I'm currently at 2.5 mg. Hoping to be completely off by the end of the month. Since I'm tapering im hoping not to get withdrawal symptoms but if I do how long did yours last ? I'm trying not to be scared but I am. ALso , how did you deal w the withdrawals?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.