Coming off Amitriptyline cold turkey

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have spent 4 month trying to ween off, now its cold turkey. stopped taking

amtrip last night. already feel slightly better, but heighten anxiety..Scala of 1-10

cheers Secretsan 

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Back in 2008, after 10 years playing the guinea pig for the pharmaceutical companies, I went cold turkey off of an assortment of mood altering, life ruining meds.  It was very hard and I had many awful withdrawal effects but I stuck with it and got off of everything.  Before I ever went to a doctor for depression, which I believe was really just grief and should not have been medicated, I'd never had anxiety or insomnia.  Months after that cold turkey quit, I still couldn't sleep and was worried I'd lose my job.  I went against my better judgment and started taking amitryptiline and started sleeping like a baby again.  You all know what a relief it is to finally sleep.  I've tried to get off of it many times and always break down after a few days.  It's been 5 days since I had any and last night was the first night of anything approximating normal sleep.  I'm in California so I am able to go to a medical marijuana dispensary and I found a granola bar for sleep with herbs that I think really helped.  I'm also doing a juice cleanse to hasten the drugs departure from my system and get my body in touch with it's natural processes again.  My heart aches for all of you trying to regain your health.  We have to believe it can get better!!!
  • Posted

Did anyone ever fin a successful over the counter medication to help? I took Amatriptaline 25 mg tabs for the last 12 years as a migraine preventative and had to quit cold turkey. I'm miserable. I'm having awful, vivid dreams but oddly awake every hour. I'm anxious. I feel like I'm going crazy. Please help me!

• Posted

I believe the drug is diffrent with different people.I have been on it for over a year! I was to busy working and could not go to Dr. to get refills so I had to go cold turkey for a month but did not have side effects except insomnia witch I had to begin with! It is prescribed for my fybromayagia now that I went from 25 mgs to 50 Iam havenig sensory problems with my nerves are it could be the Fybro that's causing this feels like creepy crawly feelings under my skin! But did not happen untill I got put on 50 mg! But the answer of your question after taken it for over a year and having to go cold turkey there were no withdraws with me!

• Posted

I am on amitriptiline for 2 moths but it doesnt really help me to sleep can I stop it cold turkey as it is a low dose of 25mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.