Coming off blood thinners

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

So today I'm coming off blood thinners but I'm very anxious about doing so. Can anyone give me some tips please

Thanks

James

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was So thankful to get off the Coumadin!! Hated to be on that "rat poison ". But, on the other side of that, the blood thinners saved my life. Was on the Coumadin 6 months, got off it this past April. I'm still on the daily asprin but, it's for my heart stents. I'm told it acts differently then the ones used to treat our blood clots. Now that I'm off the Coumadin, I make sure I don't sit longer than an hour at a time. (Im a secretary and work 12 hour shifts) I get up and move. Stretch ing out my legs, my arms, my torso. My clots, they never found the source. If I get any more clots, I'll be on blood thinners the rest of my life, so I try to keep my blood circulating .

• Posted

I wouldn't come off because July 2017 I had a pe blood clot after 6 months my doctor took me off after numerous tests he couldn't find any thing that cause it. I was off for two months and had another pe blood clot, so I'm back on Elliquis and feel worse than the first time I had one. If you do, make sure you ask your doctor about taking an aspirin or eat blood thinner foods.

• Posted

I'm not sure if I asked anyone. But do yous guys have a blood clotting disorder that you clotted just a few months after coming off?

• Posted

I tested negative for genetic clotting disorders. My provider suspects a clotting disorder of some type, but she can't test for them because Im on blood thinners.

• Posted

Sorry James... I reclotted after less then 3 months off Coumadin. What I learned and I'm passing this information to you.... If you have any doubts (and you aren't in a medical emergency..needing your local Emergency Department ) but you're not feeling right, or it's harder to breath and not responding to asthma medication ...ask your provider to work you up for blood clots again. I asked my provider if she could order a d-dimer. She did. Results were elevated. A stat chest CT with contrast showed more clots in both lungs. Be your own advocate. It's your life that's on the line.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.