Coming off citalopram. :(

Posted , 299 users are following.

I've been on 20mg citalopram now for just over a year. I decided to come off about 3 weeks ago as I had

started to feel so much better, which I put down to a combination of counselling and the drug which really did do wonders for my depression. I actually hadn't realised quite how bad it was till I started taking citalopram and I felt normal!

I've come off it properly, one every 2 days, then half every 2, then quarter every 2/3 days. The whole process took about 3/4 months. Now I'm on nothing. The physical withdrawl hasn't been too bad. I've been dizzy and kinda sick for the first week or so and that's starting to go now. However I've been feeling awful emotionally. I feel just as bad as I did before I started the medication, worse even! I feel incompetent at my job and I've even started wondering if it's right for me, I'm a teacher and I've always loved my job. I'm becoming paranoid about my relationship and tearful at the slightest thing.

I feel very depressed and unstable if that makes sense. I almost feel suicidal. Is this normal?? I really need some reassurance that I won't need to be on this for the rest of my life. sad

23 likes, 1894 replies

1894 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all,

I've been on citilopram for about 5 years and take it for severe PMT. Due to complete lack of sex drive amongst other side affects I decided to stop taking it a couple of months ago. My doctor told me to cut down exactly how you have all described which initially went well. I am now in my second week of taking nothing and have never felt worse in my life.

I am suffering from nausea, dizziness, bouts of tearfulness, fatigue and loads more symptoms that I'm struggling to cope with on a day to day basis.

If soemone was to say that I had a wek to go of feeling like this I could cope but if its going to persist for months then I'm not sure what to do.

• Posted

Sam,

I have experienced the equivalent male symtoms which crept up onme.

The worst was lack of sexual performance which was worse then needing to be on Citaloram. I have droped from 40 to 15mg in 12 weeks and am starting to cope with the side effects: sickness has reduced and I not feeling so anxious but unfortunately my tinnitus caused by the medication still persists and the other thing has still not improved which makes me desperate.

i was not aware of the effect of this drug and had I known I would never have taken it willingly!!

in summary stick with the determination to come off and fight the side effects and treat yourself to something you consider extravagant i.e. spa day, massage, holiday and take alcohol in moderation.

hope all goes well with you.

stay intouch if you need to discuss.

• Posted

i am 57 years old, and I think what i'm feeling is that the western world has speeded up so terribly, and I think a lof of how we live and what we are supposed to achieve and how we move around in cities surrounded by total strangers and the anonymity will all naturally lead to anxiety. I sometimes think we are the natural ones as we have reacted to this insane way of living in a natural way, whilst those who just carry on regardess are totally mad! 

I also think we expect things to happen too fast. Sam67, I'd say stick at it, keep breathing, look up Pema Chodron and maybe think to yourself 2 weeks is not much time at all if you've been on this stuff for five years?????

• Posted

I will read the books or at least read what it's about.  I'm a Reiki Master so I need to get back into practicing it on myself. 

I live in a big city and, sometimes, wish I was away from this rat race.  I love when I go to cunny climes where people are laid back.  If I could afford to go away every 2 months to the sun, I'm sure it would help me.

By the way, MarkA, I'm older than you!

• Posted

crikey, an elder and a reiki master; then you already must know everything i'm talking about. the cities are not natural. we are naturally afraid of them
    • Posted

Yes, but I have faallen away from practicing it.

I'm happy when I am by the sea and with animals as they don't let you down like humans do; humans are selfish.

Fortunately, I can be at Loch Lomond in half an hour so that is an escape from the city.

• Posted

My doc. told me to come off withing 2 weeks which was bad advice.  After about 3/4 weeks, the withdrawal effects disappeared and I fel great then, wham!  Depression, suicidal thought, and rivers of tears have been with my almost every day since.

I feel terrible as I have terrible anxiety, palpitations and don't sleep well.

The pills had a lot of down sides too and I'm trying to weigh them up.

If you don't feel, in any way, unwell, keep on the pills until you do.  There is no race.

• Posted

I spoke to my doc yesterday and he said people like me are advised to stay on them for life. But it's also a big decision on my part but he is worried that I will trigger an episode if I drop my dose. I would be able to cope with withdrawal if that's all I have to cope with. With these I do have side effects like weight gain, no sex drive and very uncaring quite cold actually. 

I did drop my dose for nearly a week and for the 1st few days I was great then Sunday I started to feel worthless and then very low yesterday. I upped my dose again this morning and all that has gone away apart from a feeling of dread of being on these for life. 

Love and light 

• Posted

Hello Kirsty, I was on Cit for nearly 9 years, 20mg, and am now on 10mg and ready to go down to 5mg. The side effects you mention, weight gain, no sex drive and very uncaring/cold is exactly what I had too, and I was tired of it. I needed to feel again !! I can not argue with what your doctor says as afterall he knows best for you personally. My doctor is quite the opposite and helps me getting rid of this medication.

The withdrawals do include that you can wake up feeling worthless and low, but may I suggest to take it as a withdrawal. Take one day at the time smile 

I feel 100% better even being on a lower dosis. I too had to go through withdrawals as so many others here and just like you. I do not mean to tell you what to do but just show you my experience and perhaps it might help you in some way. 

I tried twice to get off them, this time I am succeeding because I am taking my time and do not lower my dosis until I am withdrawal free. 

All the best to you Kirsty (main reason for writing you is because you wrote "being on these for life" ...) with good guidance and taking one day at the time and knowing what to expect is 1/3 of the battle. But again, I dont downplay what your doctor says because after all I am not a doctor lol.... Wishing you all the best smile

• Posted

Thank you Maria for writing. 

I to am tired of not feeling anything. I will take everyday as it comes and take my time in this.  

• Posted

Hiya Kirsty

I am very surprised to hear you doctor saying you should stay on them for life and I'm rather curious as to what he/she means by people like you. My experience has been that most gps do not want you to use these drugs for life. I think it is worth making an appointment with other gps in your surgery if you have not done so already. My experience has been, that once I try all the doctors I can usually tell which ones really care and have a positive attitude toward depression and anxiety as a real condition. And I would say again and echo what others are saying. Life is long, it pays sometimes to be patient and keep with a thing through the pain and waiting, cos this result is often the steadiest, in my experience. The mornings are the worst times I believe. Someone once said to me, 'get a routine so you know what is next, each day. tea, breakfast, shower, dress, out and about.' someone else once said 'get vertical, get your boots on, get out the door and speak to someone, even if it's only a waiter or a shopkeeper.' My experience was I HAD to get out of bed at 8am when the alarm went off, sit up, on with clothes, move, eat, drink tea, say prayers, go out out out anywhere, out. Even now I dare not lie in as I'm afraid of the emptiness. The day can seem so long and empty, but I had to move into it and take it one breath at a time. That was and is my experience, which may be of no use at all to you, but there it is. good luck.

• Posted

Hiya mark 

To be honest I'm a little surprised and also concerned by the "stay on them for life" that the doctor told me. I find morning are the worst for me to and can press snooze on my alarm for hours if I'm in that mood. I have battles with the company I work for to get a routine so that I know where I am from day to day and week to week. I do get up and out and that is the best thing to do as I would sit in the house all the time.  I try to meditate as often as I can but sometimes find it hard to clear my mind.

You speak very wise words mark and I to have had similar experiences. Good luck and thank you

• Posted

Dear Markanthony, you seem like a wise chap to me, with plenty of insight. I've been on citalopram 20 mg for a couple of years.  Going cold turkey to come off it was a mistake in my case.  Perhaps I am predisposed to 'melancholia' following a nasty bout of diagnosed clinical depression, following a bereavement.  A spot of counselling has help me gain some insight, and I attempt to press the 'pause button' when I feel my thoughts spin on a downward spiral.  I think exercise is good, and I am a keen horse rider. Something about the countryside, fresh air, and bonding with a beautiful horse, non-judgemental experience, and just living in that particular moment.  I agree that getting a little routine established, can kickstart the day.  A few close friends have caught me when I was low, and their friendship and loving support  is beyond price.  I think that managing low and high moods, melancholy, anhedonia or whatever the mot de jour, can contribute to anxiety.  Just thinking that the idea of mindfulness is a gentle path to follow.  Best wishes to you.

• Posted

I started counseling/therapy for anxiety and it was my therapist who suggested that I go on Celexa. She said that "because of my personality" I might have to be on it forever. I agree with everyone here who said that we seem to expect life to be all kittens and rainbows, and if it doesn't turn out that way, here, take a med.
  • Posted

Hey guys. Hang in there. That's me off the devil drug that is citalopram. I feel loads better since my last post in December. The brain fog has gone, but still got a while to go with the weight it caused. It can be done. Stick in there and my thoughts are with you all. Cheers, John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.