Coming off cocodomol 30/500 and ibuprofen & codeine 12.8mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have found a UK based online Dr that is willing to prescribe me codeiene phosphate tablets. My idea is to taper the dose myself  and replace the cocodomol 30/500 and Nurofen plus with these instead and come off them gradually. I can't go cold turkey, I've tried and the withdrawals are the most significant problem. My dr did this once before so I am going to follow the same tapering process. When I am down to 0mg I will ask my gp for a non opioid based strong pain killer for my 6 herniated spinal discs. It's going to cost overall far less than I am spending on packets of Nurofen plus. Feeling very determined to do this for good his time.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Latchy. Make sure he is a "proper doctor". You can go on the GMC website and put in his name and it will tell you if he's the real thing or not. Some of these online doctors have been known to have been suspended. Good luck
    • Posted

Already done, thanks Matron. Checked out the pharmacy number as well
    • Posted

That's good Latchy. Should have known better and known you were on the ball. Hope you didn't mind me mentioning it 
  • Posted

Hi, I managed to get off co-codamol by cutting them down- very slowly.

I too tried cold turkey, and the side effects were horrendous.  

So I cut my 30/500 tablets in half (bought a cheap pill cutter from my chemist) and bought 12/500 and 8/500 to do the same, so that I didn't have too much of a jump.  the whole thing took 3 months to get to zero. (I spread the doses out over the day as I had done before i started to cut down, and tried to go a bit longer before taking my next dose - Advice - Distract youself, if you are able to, do something (I'm disabled with a balance problem and other disabilities so I could'nt go to clean a cupboard out or jog around the block !)

It took another 4 weeks for my craving to stop after I got down to zero - I had been on 8 x 30/500 co-codamols a day for about 12 years.

When I was taking just half a 30/500 tablet, or half a 12/500 or half a 4/500 or a combination, I found it better to top up with half of a paracetamol - taking me up to 500mg - it helped me.  this may sound obsessive but I used an A4 writing pad to write down everything I took (now I can get it into a diary) then I could see "ah, I've been on 4 x 12/500's a day (one at a time) for a week now, lets try 3 x 12/500 and 1 x 8/500 a day, putting the lower dose one in the middle of the day.

My problem now is that I'm in pain for my sciatica and pounding backache which stops me sleeping every night.

About a month ago, I decided to come clean with my doctor and told her everything. The problem is, codeine is about the best thing for the problems I have.

She suggested that I could try taking the co-codamols for a maximum of three days at a time, when I really needed them, which I have done, The most so far I have taken in a day (24 hours) this time is 2 x 30/500 and 2 x 8/500 ( in various doses - 1 x 30/500 before bed and the others cut up in various amounts depending on the pain)

I have taken them for three days only at a time, then not taken any for at least two days after - I can see how easy it would be to slip back into full doses every day as I'm getting headaches the day after stopping them, (not as bad as before though) It's as if my body remembers the drug.

I have found that if I take a Beechams powder (Aspirin) they can take the edge off my pain on days that I don't take any co-codamol or I Take ibuprofen (cheap ones are just as good as branded - they all have the same ingredients, I've checked with a pharmacist, but don't take aspirin with ibuprofen) or paracetamol on it's own.

Most of us on here are only trying to get rid of pain, I never knew about the addictive side of codeine, the boxes of 30/500 never had any warning of addiction on the leaflet when i first started taking them - they do now.

Good news is that my bowels are much better, I hadn't realised that I had been constipated for the past 12 years! 

It makes you wonder what damage I've done to my health

You will hit rough patches, just carry on.

My apologies if you know all of the above, I'm just trying to help - GP's basically just don't want to know.

Best of luck 

xXxXxX

Wen

• Posted

Thanks for the info. I will start cutting down on Friday. I'll have my sedatives to help as I'm going to the Drs on Thursday. I'm still going to buy the codeine phosphates when I get paid,  as there is no paracetomol in those. Like you I am disabled with my spine. So I am limited as to what I can do to distract me.
    • Posted

I've run out of co/codomol 30/500 today so swallowing solpadeine max and ibuprofen and codeine to match the dose of the 30/500s. Can't wait to get my prescriptions tomorrow from the gp.
    • Posted

Take care Latchy. Is tomorrow's prescription from the online GP?
    • Posted

No it's my own Dr Matron. Hope he doesn't post date the prescriptions for Saturday. Since I am having to use extra diazepam today for anxiety and won't have enough left until Saturday. I'll just have to tell him I had a few bad days over xmas and had to take some extra diazepam for anxiety and panic attacks. I get so anxious about going to the Drs. Yet my Dr is great. I don't know why, but it happens every 6 weeks when I'm due to go. If ever he takes my blood pressure it's through the roof. Yet it's normal at home! Just wish he'd put everything on repeat, but I suppose he wants to monitor my consumption of diazepam (separate long story)
    • Posted

I'm getting terrible headaches today. Must be starting to withdraw since my dose of Nurofen plus with the solpadeine max leaves me about 10mg short of my regular Cocodomol 30/500. I hate this drug so much. Be glad to get off it and onto another non opioid strong painkiller. I've still got a box of 100 Tramadol in my drawer and am tempted to take a couple. I was on those for 6months. I didn't really get any pain relief from those. But when I stopped them suddenly I had no withdrawals at all. Yet I have read that others go through hell coming off them. Never had problems with dihydrocodeine either. I don't understand why the codeine is so awful to come off. Maybe because I've been on it since 2005 and took 8 a day every day.
    • Posted

Codeine is such an evil drug Latchy, I know. I take it for my Rheumatoid arthritis but I know if the doctors ever try to stop it I'm in big trouble. I don't take the cocodamol but I'm prescribed paracetamol separately. Like you I've had Tramadol without any problems stopping. Today is going to be hard for you so take care.
    • Posted

Codeine is truly evil Matron. I don't know how I am ever going to come off it! Just had something to eat and my headache has eased a little. Bring on bed time.
    • Posted

Pleased your headache is a little better. Just take things easy and get through today.
    • Posted

Thank you I will. My headache is coming back big time. Can't wait for my next dose in half an hour. 
    • Posted

I'd say the worse thing for me today is my anxiety and feeling sick and dizzy. Thank god I've got diazepam in stock. Might lie down to take my mind off it. Can't believe the withdrawals can come on so quickly.
    • Posted

Today has just been pure hell. Even reducing by 10mg per dose I'm having terrible withdrawal symptoms. I just hope I can sleep tonight and don't get night sweats. I wouldn't recommend this drug to anyone. It controls every aspect of your life. 
    • Posted

Have been thinking about you this afternoon. Just hope you manage to get some rest tonight. You're right about codeine taking over your life. It so easy to get drawn in because doctors prescribe it repeatedly because it's cheap and it keeps the drugs bill low therefore keeping health service managers happy! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.