Coming off HRT

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been on HRT for three years.Doctor as  suggested I come off it because I am coming up to sixty, There was no mention of tappering off slowly so I went cold turkey. It been four weeks now and I am suffering terrible stomach cramps.

Has anyone else experience this.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There is some debate as to whether it makes any difference and I did taper my HRT off gradually but still ended up having dreadful menopausal symptoms so much so my GP has prescribed me it again. You don't say whether you want to stop taking it but have you read the recently updated NICE Guidelines (that's if you're in the UK). They do say, if I remember rightly women should take HRT for longer however it's your choice.
    • Posted

I have no ovaries and I'm still on Estraderm patches 50 and I am 72 in October and really had a terrible time when I tried to cut down to 25 micrograms a couple of years ago. I had no choice but to return to the size 50 patch an I'm very well thank you. In 2016 no women should have to suffer through the lack of estrogen, no man would let's be honest.

btw had the hrt implants and then the patches for 34 years.

• Posted

I also don't have ovaries and agree we shouldn't have to suffer and I'm so pleased NICE have produced the new guidelines that hopefully all doctors will follow. I've been taking HRT since 1991 with only a short break last year. I intend to continue taking it for some time yet. 
    • Posted

Wow I didn't know you had to be on them that long my doctor said as I'd had a hysterectomy six months ago I wouldn't need it but I told her that when I forgot a few times I felt terrible
    • Posted

If you have had your ovaries removed too, you most certainly need HRT. Read what the conclusions are from studies by Yale University Medical school and from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School on the use of HRT and the effects on women having no ovaries, most enlightening.

A New Zealand study has stated that women going through a natural menopause still produce 50 -60% of estrogen 10 -15 years after their periods have stopped, this this in general as all women are not the same.

• Posted

Yes, I had a lot of stomach (period like pains) .. and had a lot of spotting.. Do you want to come off HRT?
    • Posted

Hi Pat

I  have  been off the HRT for a month now, The last three weeks have been terrible, constant stomach cramps and period like pain.Are you on HRT and how long before the stomach pain subsided.

• Posted

Hi Jennyann, I went through exactly what you're going through now. I was told by my OBGYN to go down to .05 mg Estradiol (he wanted me to stop all together, but I said no). I started tappering down in Feb. 2014 and by Aug. 2014 I was in full blown panic attacks. I literally felt I was losing my mind. By that time I was so low in estrogen that when two different doctors tried to help me by upping my doseage it was a roller coaster. After 1 yr 8 months I feel I'm about 85% back on track. I had a full hysterectomy in 1998, I just turned 68 and I'll never/ever get off estrogen pills again. If they cause this or that then so be it - I'll take my chances because I now know what my life is like not taking them and I'll never go through that hell again. My poor husband - he is definitely a saint for putting up with me.
    • Posted

Have you ever thought about using the patches? The transdermal route is much safer than taking pills as they by pass the digestive system and go directly to where it's needed.

• Posted

I have thought about the patches, but my sister is on them and she tells me how they fall off and she's now on anti-depressants, which I feel could be part of her hormone problem. I also have a close friend that was on the patch and was having so much fatigue that she went to her doctor, he took some blood and discovered she was very low on estrogen - she's now on the pill. But...... you never know what's the best for us. We poor women sad
    • Posted

That's a pity, been great for me and never had problems about them coming off. There are different sizes too if one size doesn't work try a higher one. Years ago when I started the patches they started you off with 50 mgs  which were no good so I was on 100mg for years thenI dropped to 50mg which I'm on now. I have found that 25mg is too low for me. Different patches I suppose but Estroderm MX is good for me. I thank god every day for the advances in medical science, probably wouldn't be here today without HRT.

• Posted

I feel exactly like you on hormones. I've been dealing since August 2014 trying to get regulated again. If that first OBGYN had just left well enough alone I would have had all this time feeling like I did back then - wonderful! But, I've already decided that if one day my beloved estradiol isn't good for me, then I'll try the patch and I've also written down the one you're using as my starting point. I thank you jean.
  • Posted

Hi Jennyann, I have been on HRT for years. I stopped about 6 months ago and went through hell. I am back on it again and my body is still regulating itelf but.. I am still getting montly cycle period pains and spotting. I feel much better than I did. I never want to stop taking HRT again and have told my GP my quality of life without it is unacceptable. It is hard to answer your question regarding how long it goes on for as we are all different.. Would you consider using it agai?. If you are stopping because your GP has recommended you do so, then as others have said please read the new NICE guidelines as the benefits in many cases outweigh the risks (I actually got my GP to admit to this!).  Some women are lucky and sail through, others like us get a raw deal.. Have you spoken to your GP about the problems you are having?
  • Posted

I was forced to come off HRT two years ago and I have not felt good since  - I feel I have aged 10 since , and I look it.  Most Doctors are watching their backs and to hell with the patient.  We don't seem to have any rights as patients .  I never had  need to bother the Dr all the years I was taking HRT.   Now I attend hospital for six monthly checks and am taking hight blood pressure tabs along with Vit D and a sedative.  The NHS  could save a fortune if they would just keep letting us have the hormones. When I was first given HRT The Dr explained I was replacing something I had lost.  So what is the point of depriving us of this benefit to our health.

BobbyG

• Posted

Your right there my doctor tried to say I didn't need it six months after hysterectomy but I told her I did and still take it thankfully
    • Posted

Roberta that's awful for you. Can't you change your GP? Not all of them are dinosaurs (although I've met a few!) Get yourself armed with the new guidelines from NICE and talk to your GP. If I had to I Would buy it online!! Talk to your GP if you don't get anywhere change your doctor if you can .
    • Posted

Pat I have tried three Doctors and it's the same story "YOU DON"T NEED IT AT YOUR AGE" ( I"m in my 70"s) despite having all the menopausal symptoms.  I just was so well when I was taking HRT and so awful when I stopped
    • Posted

I just don't understand the mentality of these 'doctors' ?? It's a fact that some women still have menopause symptoms well into their 70's I makes me wonder whether there are financial reasons behind this. There are online pharmacies that supply HRT. It not cheap but if you can afford it then it's worth looking into. I get so angry with the attitude of these doctors.
    • Posted

She should definitely change doctors and get some hrt that's awful to be treated like that
    • Posted

I just wonder if there is any research into the effects of hormones on the physical and psycological nature of our bodies.  I remember going through pubity and having fainting spells - also , all my life I had mygraine headaches just before a period.  No-one ever linked these with hormones.  In Medievil times women were locked away in asylums when they were only  having mental issues as a result of the  menopause.. If men were subject to these issues you can bet it would have been addressed  long before now.
    • Posted

roberta are you in the UK? If you are go to see your doctor with a copy of the updated NICE Guidelines. That's what I did when my HRT was taken off repeat prescription and I had dreadful menopausal symptoms. As it happened once I told my GP just how bad my symptoms were she offered to put me back in HRT again.
    • Posted

Just google NICE Guidelines HRT and you'll come across them. They aren't too lengthy so easy to print 
    • Posted

Many thanks - Will do.  But why - as middle aged women- are we ignored to this extent?  WE REALLY NEED A VOICE.
    • Posted

I absolutely agree and it's our body so why should we suffer these awful symptoms when there's something that can alleviate them so easily.
    • Posted

Yes I agree I've been on a gel and although I've improved the m symptoms I got bad dizzy spells so now trying a tablet to see if it stops them if not I can go back to the gel as on the whole I feel so much better
    • Posted

Roberta, reading your story was like reading my own, including the two years ago. I too needed Vit D because cutting my hormones down to almost zero caused problems with my bones in my spine and I started having terrible panic attacks and anxiety, causing my blood pressure to spike to 204/110. I had to start taking Xanax when I had the anxiety attacks. I'm almost back to where I was in the beginning, before the doctor tried cutting me way back on hormones. Blood pressure is almost back and rarely take the Xanax. I'll never quit hormones again - learned my lesson.
    • Posted

Judy, it is so good to have someone confirm my eperience.   When speaking to the medical fraternity I'm made to feel that I'm exagerating and just not worth the the time it takes to listen.  I lost my husband three years ago and I just feel  I've lost any spark I might have had . 
    • Posted

Roberta, never give up.. keep going. You WILL get listened to. I think most of us that post here have had pretty bad experiences and so empathise greatly with your situation. When my GP told me had to stop HRT 7 months ago I reluctantly did so. Very bad time. When I saw him last month I was determined I would not leave without my HRT. I would even have signed a disclaimer! Don't take no for an answer.. would it be possible for you to change to a different surgery? or try anothet Doctor at your Practise?
    • Posted

Roberta, as I was trying to get readjusted to my hormones, my doctor said it should take 2 weeks to 3 months - HA! When you get so low in estrogen as I was, it takes at least 6 - 9 months. I go in for my annual on July 22nd and you can bet I'll have my own experience written down for other patients to read. I'm 68 now and I don't intend to live my golden years in misery. Dang doctors! You hang in there hon, it will get better. We just have to get firm with them that we tried it their way and it sure didn't work.
    • Posted

Yes rehearse and rehearse what you have to say to them I do  and blind them with science. Read lots of information from around the world on recent research in favour of HRT. No one knows your body like yourself, in the same position male and female doctors would not suffer like thousands of women do at this present time. It really makes my blood boil, HRT is truly a life saver, get the gloves on ladies

• Posted

Pat,  Like you I offered to sign a disclaimer and was brushed off with a condecending smile - it has been an eye upener just to make contact with other sufferers.  Do you think any Doctors access this website? I doubt it, but they need to be made aware of the effects of their ignorance concerning HRT.
    • Posted

Roberta, The NICE guidelines are the ones that GP's follow. If you arm yourself with all the facts that are now available for menopause (google the NICE guidelines for HRT 2015 and download if poss or get someone to download for you. Take the guidelines to your GP and show him. If he is shows reluctance then call another surgery and ask if you can enrol there and what their policies are regarding HRT. Are you in the UK?
    • Posted

I've mentioned the NICE Guidelines so many times on this forum but GP's are only advised to follow them and being independent practitioners some choose to ignore them but any decent GP (like mine fortunately) will use them. Mine followed them completely even to the advice and explaining the risks which I already knew. If it was advice from the Department of Health or NICE given to a nurse we would have abide by them. I think a lot of the "old school" GP's don't like being told what to do even when it benefits the patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.