Coming off HRT

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been on HRT for three years.Doctor as  suggested I come off it because I am coming up to sixty, There was no mention of tappering off slowly so I went cold turkey. It been four weeks now and I am suffering terrible stomach cramps.

Has anyone else experience this.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've just googled them interesting reading
    • Posted

The guidelines are interesting and very easy to read. It's basically good common sense advice that takes away any concerns doctors and patients may have had about HRT. At long last common sense has prevailed!
    • Posted

My post was removed but all I said was the guidelines took away any concerns doctors and patients may have had regarding HRT. The guidelines are easy as well.
    • Posted

Does it say anywhere that you can take HRT for life or do they recommend a cut-off point.
    • Posted

The recommendation is that you take it for a defined a out of time depending on your age but I know women take it in their 70's and 80's. I'm almost 63 and apart from a short break last year I've taken it since 1991 following a hysterectomy and bilateral oophorectomy. I intend to continue as long as possible because I firmly believe that if you are well and there's no contraindications or family history of concern then why not?
    • Posted

It just says if a woman wants to stop it to do it gradually and that gradually reducing it limits the recurring sytoms my own personal experience I still need it
    • Posted

I reduced it gradually last year but immediately started to have menopausal symptoms. There is some doctors looking into whether there is a need to reduce HRT gradually, there is some thought that it doesn't actually make any difference.
    • Posted

Well I suppose it's different for each woman when I got the menopause back in 2012 I took it for a year then stopped then when I had a hysterectomy last year in Nov I suffered bad hot flushes and started on it again in n feb
    • Posted

Everyone is different I agree and women sail through the menopause without any symptoms whatsoever as well. I'm just so grateful there is something out there that can relieve those symptoms because it can be a horrible miserable time
  • Posted

That's good as I didn't know there was one on hrt although I have a good doctor it's nice to know what they're talking about

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.