coming off mirtazapine 15 mg

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi I am wanting advise on the best way to come off of mirtazapine 15mg. I have been on them for 6-8 months and i have been worse on them that before I started taking them. I know all about the withdrawal etc I just want advise on weather to lower the dosage or go cold turkey. I am prepared for the worst but determined to beat them. I have 3 children and I am so tired and never want to do anything I need to get off these things 

3 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi guys

yep went down to 7.5 and sloppily I also had chest pains, but didn't panic as knew it could be slight withdrawal. I also didn't sleep quite as well, and dreams were quite vivid and bit nightmarish. This morning I do feel a little bit less groggy, and have a bit more emotion and desire to do a few things, but feel a little but only a little bit shaky, but defo notice a difference

• Posted

Well done Mark! i dropped my dose as well and i didn't fall asleep as easy but did manage it in the end, had a few wierd dreams feel ok this morning with a bit more energy and desire to do things, don't try and rush things, small steps at first. Try and occupy your mind with other things and try to be positive! Very hard somethimes i know...
  • Posted

Yep you are spot on Liam. I don't feel to bad mentally today, I suppose could be something to do with the fact that done something positive bout situation. Early days so have to expect May have odd bad day, although I may be lucky and I and you guys hopefully wont
    • Posted

I did my first night on 7.5mg last night. I took a little longer to get to sleep than usual but woke up feeling less groggy and tired than normal. I have had a bit more life in me today and so far no withdrawal symptoms going to stick at 7.5mg for a week them half it again for a week and then stop hopefully if all goes to plan.
  • Posted

That's great Liz, I'm the same, took while to get to sleep and had some unpleasant dreams, but have to expect some disorder, but feel lot better than thought would, which is a surprise, to feel so different so quickly. But then again when started on them the effects were quite quick, with only few side effects, just groggy and as time went on no motivation, so hopefully with luck won't get too many withdrawal symptoms.

like you Liz, reckon will stay on these at 7.5 for a bit b4 come off. Let us know how you are getting on

• Posted

How we all doing?
    • Posted

Hi Mark, how are you doing coming off the mirtz? I've taken my last dose the night just gone, i'll be starting venlafaxine tonight..... fingers crossed! Hope everyong is doing ok. 
  • Posted

Hi

had no problem at all other than quite difficult sleeping, but have lot more energy than before, and in a week or so will come off them alltogather

• Posted

I am comming  off this drug I highly reccommend tappering I was only on it for a month and a half but the withdrawls can be HELL I was on 15mg and did half dose for 3 weeks then quarter dose I am on my second day off this and I am still having severe stomache cramps and headaches Its not easy but doable

Good luck

• Posted

A little over a month ago I reduced from 15mg to 7.5mg. I was doing great for a while, but I think it may have been due to the excitement of focusing on my goal of reducing my dose. Now the excitement has worn off. I'm still taking 7.5mg each evening. I'm afraid to reduce it more because I'm feeling a lot of anxiety, mood swings & even some paranoia spells. Anybody else experience anything like this? If so, how long? It's been over a month for me so far.

• Posted

A little over a month ago I reduced from 15mg to 7.5mg. I was doing great for a while, but I think it may have been due to the excitement of focusing on my goal of reducing my dose. Now the excitement has worn off. I'm still taking 7.5mg each evening. I'm afraid to reduce it more because I'm feeling a lot of anxiety, mood swings & even some paranoia spells. Anybody else experience anything like this? If so, how long? It's been over a month for me so far.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm currently on 45mg and dropping down to 30mg as of tomorrow. I will do that for a month and then drop down again to 15mg all under the guidance of my doctor.

I started out 18 months ago on 15mg - lasted 2 weeks and increased to 30mg - gave that a month and then up to the 45mg where I have been since.

I'm in a great mood but have decided to come off my medication as I'm no longer under the same stressors - happy in my current job etc.

The main reason however is because my husband and I will be trying for a baby soon.

I am a little nervous about coming off them but I think because I know there will be side effects I know to not let that impact whether I stay on them or not. If I do it gradually over a couple of months the impact should be lesser.

I've heard that some people even cut their 15mg into quarters before phasing it out entirely. Perhaps that's something you can try?

Have you spoken with your doctor? Mine has recommended I continue with an exercise regime and also make an appointment with my psychologist to track how I'm going. Might be worth something to give that a try.

• Posted

Did you manage to get off this? I need some advice
    • Posted

I did manage to come off it yes without tapering off but it was really difficult. Depression got worse again so am now taking citalopram with the duloxetine.
  • Posted

I was on 60mg duplicating and 15 mg mirtazapine with weight gain and vivid dreams. Came off the mirt after speaking to gp a month ago. Sleep was horrendous for couple of weeks, waking every hour and awake for up to half hour each time but it has settled down now and am nearly back to my normal, albeit interrupted, sleep pattern. Have never slept well. Have lost five pounds in weight. Still feeling nauseous at times. Vivid dreams gone thankfully. Drinking more than I should but can deal with that after. Perhaps taking duloxetine has helped with withdrawal side effects. Found it hard to concentrate but mood ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.