coming off mirtazapine 15 mg

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi I am wanting advise on the best way to come off of mirtazapine 15mg. I have been on them for 6-8 months and i have been worse on them that before I started taking them. I know all about the withdrawal etc I just want advise on weather to lower the dosage or go cold turkey. I am prepared for the worst but determined to beat them. I have 3 children and I am so tired and never want to do anything I need to get off these things 

3 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did anybody experience with losing weight when tapering off mirtz
  • Posted

Hi I'm I am IMRT for only 5 weeks now I'm down to 15 mg from 30 only for 5 days now at 15 mg looking to go to 7.5 mg and then get off completely do you know how long I should take the 7.5 before I stop altogether and I also want to go on that 5-HTP not sure how long you have to be off of the Mirt before I can start that 5-HTP hope you can help thanks

• Posted

I've been a year on mirtazipine 45mg and I was ok on it but put on huge ammount of weight..because I still had anxiety my psycholigist decide to take me off them and start sertraline. I've had to reduce mirtazipine over a period of 2 weeks and started sertraline 3 days ago. Well I can only say the effects have been a nightmare absolutely not logical my behaviour. I had overwhelming fears and anxiety worsening through the night...I lay in my bed daytime feeling a total overwhelming feeling of despair and anxiety. I was warned by my health care team this would happen but once I've tapered up on the new med I'd start to feel better. So please don't go cold turkey don't just stop mirtazipine get off it by reducing it down gradually because the consequences of doing that could mean you will have a very bad time emotionally, it's so extreme that I've been totally irrational in my thoughts and behaviour. My saving grace is that I've been able to recognise these withdrawal effects and was prewarned by my health team. Hope you get on ok.x

• Posted

My pdoc told me to continue with low dose mirtazapine and start low dose sertraline. It was hell. Terrible anxiety and nausea, managed three weeks and had to give up, back to mirtazapine. Its not great but less anxiety.  Dont put all effects down to mirtazapine, it may be thenstart up sertraline.
  • Posted

Hey guys I was on 30mg of mirtz for over a year and then decided to come off it, I started taking 15mg and told my doctor how great i felt and wanted to come off them. He told me to go for it..

6 days its been since I came off it all together and I'm a complete mess. I'm emotional, when I'm happy I'm overly happy but one little thing can trigger me into a blubbering mess. I cant leave the house cause of how scared I am, I literally cant eat anything without it upsetting my stomach, and I cannot sleep! Its 03.13 right now and I'm wide awake.

I'm so scared of going back onto it up to 15mg again because I love it when I'm happy but I hate the other parts sad.

I'm thinking of maybe going to get a second opinion by a psychiatrist..

• Posted

Thats a very good idea, an expert in the field may be able to guide you better as to the best way to do this.  I have read on here that the best way is to use liquid and go slowly, my gp refused liquid but a psych might give it.

all the advice is not to go up a dose again, it makes it worse coming down.  I am doing slow taper by cutting it with pill cutter.

wishing you good luck with it.

• Posted

I had originally been on 30mg of Mirtazapine, (I started on the tablets about 18 months ago now) but after a few months the dosage was increased to 4mg. Things were pretty bad at that time for me. However, psychologically, things began to ease off and because the 2.5 stone weight increase (in just 9 months - no, I wasn't pregnant, lol) due to the Mirtazapine, I decided to come off them.

I researched the side effects and the best way to come off them, and with the blessing of my doctor, I am making progress. Although it's going to take time to come off them completely, after having read the horror stories of those that came off too quickly on various forums that I came across, I'd rather err on the side of caution. I occasionally have the odd night of disturbed sleep, and sometimes I get really bad aching in my legs when I go to bed. I find that a hot water bottle between my calves helps though.

Anyway, whilst trawling the internet, I came upon a website that gives charts that you can download and use to make the decreasing of Mirtazapine easier to keep a record of. I printed a copy and I used different colour highlight pens for the various doses, and have kept my charts in a clear poly pocket pinned to the wall in my kitchen by the kettle. I'm finding it really helps me, visually and psychologically.

I have gone from 45mg to 37.5mg and about to start on 30mg per night. Personally, I have reduced one week earlier each time to the lower dose. But that's my own choice.

You can find the charts here http://www.citap.org.uk/SSRI-Tables.pdf and scroll down to pages 10 and 11 for Mirtazapine. (The website creator sadly passed away, but although the actual site is closed/unmanned, it is still accessible)

I hope this can be useful to you all.

P.S. I hope the link is allowed. Perhaps a moderator could check it first if needs be? If the link isn't clickable, just copy/paste it into your browser.

• Posted

I'm the same I've become so lazy , I only went on them because I was going through a bad patch and though they would help me , can u confirm if u came of them and if u are feeling any better

• Posted

Just been reading everyone’s posts for re assurance with my taper . 

Seems your all on a different journey with Mirtazapine . 

I’m feeling re assured that I can do it too thanks to all the lovely posts . 

I wish you all love and luck on your taper and a pat on the back coz this tapering isn’t easy . 

Keep your posts and updates so it will help me and others on our difficult journeys 

Hugs to everyone x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.