Coming off mirtazapine

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. Been taking 15mg at night for about six weeks and I've decided that anti-depressants just aren't for me. I'm looking for advice on how to taper off without having withdrawl symptoms. Thanks in advance. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi...

I'm on a withdrawal plan now for Mirt... I've been on 30mg for just over 18 months, but my dr advised the following....

Week 1 .... Alternate nights between 30 & 15

Week 2 .... 15 every night 

Week 3 .... Alternate nights between 15 & 0

I'm on week 2 now, but just gona see how things go, as I've seen people on here who have incorporated 7.5 and even 3.75.... Which I'm very conscious of... If I feel I need to go onto these amounts i will do... As I want to do this properly...

I'm also taking Green Tea 2-3 times a day because of its anti oxidant properties and it's ability to have a positive effect on metabolism... As things I've read on here seem to indicate Mirt slows your metabolism ... I add a teaspoon of honey to each mug... 1. To make it taste better 2. Honey keeps your liver working at optimum levels n helps your body process the toxins which may have built up

Has anybody else got info on successful withdrawals??

• Posted

Hi: this stuff should not be given to anybody.

Anyway, I'm about to diminish the dose from 15mg.

Not to have withdrawal symptoms, a few days ago I came across "the road back" website, where they explain you how to do it correctly.

Basically you have to taper off every 2 weeks.

• Posted

Hello

Take the time you need to taper off.

I did it too fast, and still suffer withdrawal symptoms...

Had been on 30mg for 2 years and went on 15 for one month, than nothing.

I would advice to do the withdrawal untill very small amounts.

good luck!

• Posted

Hi

I we on 15mg for 4 months and have tapered by 2 weeks of 7.5 and then 10 days of 3.5 and apart from a few problems getting to sleep, had no withdrawal effects as yet, and been off for totally for ten days now

• Posted

Incredible, you must have a very strong body mark01943, if you have no side effects within 14 days...You are safe! can you write back to let us know? mark01943, How did you feel during the 4 months under Mirtaxapin?
    • Posted

It's interesting because I went from 15mg, to 7.5mg and then 3.75mg and then 0mg a day apart from each other. I got withdrawals for around 2 weeks and even then those withdrawals were mostly feeling like I had a flu and feeling low/crying all the time. I feel fantastic now though!

• Posted

Although I must add the only issue I have is sleeping, but I use sleeping tablets (Diphenhydramine) which aren't really for long time use, but they help me very gently get to sleep.

• Posted

Incredible, you must have a very strong body mark01943, if you have no side effects within 14 days...You are safe! can you write back to let us know?
  • Posted

Hi manuel

No honestly, other than trouble sleeping nothing coming off, did it quite slowly, and was on low dose, but didn't really have many side effects when on it.

Well for first month I felt better, almost straight away, sleep was good etc, then as time went on I started to lack ANY motivation at all, and always very tired, couldn't be bothered to do anything, and I am a very active person, so that in itself got me down. Sleep continued to be ok during this as it wasn't good before.

Now that I am off I feel more alive if that makes sense, and while on it, don't realise how much out of it emotionally you are

• Posted

This is great!

You give me hope!

On the website The Road Back , it's explain ed that you have to tsper it off slowly...10 per cent every. 2 weeks...

• Posted

IMHO I would avoid tapering by alternating doses.  I know it works for some people but Mirtazapine has a short half life of 20-40 hours depending on the persons metabolism.  By alternating does you are therefore introducing quite big fluctuations in the amount of drug in your system from day to day.  Personally I think it's better just to step down the dose very gradually but take the same dose each day between drops.  Yes it involves splitting pills but overall I think it's safer.

Myself I've recently stepped down from 45 to 37.5mg for a week and am now on a week of 30mg.  So far no real problems and certainly feel like I have more energy than when I was on 45mg (only for 4 weeks mind).

As I say just my opinion but if you read the MIND pages on coming off ADs they also recommend not alteranting doses (the only exception is Flouxetine which has a long half life).  Unfortunately I think lots of GPs are unaware of half lifes of the drugs they prescribe.

• Posted

I do not dare imagine how you felt drowsy when you were on 45! I'm following the advices contained in the website The road back and I'm supplementing with Omega 3 to protect my brain from possible brain zaps (very bad experience) + Vitamin E : these two elements have to be combined. Yes GPs are totally unaware and I'm shocked they do not inform us about side effects...or about the withdrawal process. Unbelievable.
    • Posted

Hi

I'm currently on Mirt withdrawal too...

Wishing you the very best thru this very awful time .,, x

What's this brain "zap" thing your talkin about please?

• Posted

Brain zaps are short electric schocks you esxperience...I did...Not nice at all.

After 3 months on Mirt I'm now exepriencing a burning sensation on my skin especially legs and arms, burning+ pins and needles...Then when I take my 15 mg dose, after a while I feel waves of heat and cold on my body...Then I have the burning sensation. I'm starting to lower the dose next week. Has anybody had the same experience?

• Posted

hi @manuelmanuel i know its been a while i hope youre well i am goin thru withdrawal right now and experiencing the burning sensation all over my body plus tinnitus would u recall how long your w/d lasted? need words of encouragement

• Posted

Hi jen35333,

From what I've read and from my own experiences, the time it takes to withdraw varies considerably between different people. I does eventually go, though. It may not seem like it sometimes, but it will disappear. Some symptoms linger longer than others.

Most antidepressants have some sort of withdrawal period but I think many people find Mirtazapine particularly bad.

I'm on Venlafaxine these days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.