Coming off Mirtazapine after 3 weeks

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Guys,

I've been on Mirtazapine for 3 weeks (2 weeks at 15mg, 1 week at 30mg). I've decided to come off them as they are making me feel terribly fatigued and giving me jumpy legs when in bed at night. I was planning on cutting back down to 15mg for one week, and then perhaps another week at 7.5mg and then just stopping. Do you think that would be the best plan of action to minimise any withdrawal symptoms? Or should I look at coming off them more quickly? 

Also I was wondering if i'm still likely to experience increased sedative effects at the lower doses even after being on a higher dose?

Any advice much appreciated! 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi kris

i can't help you much as I was took of mirtazapine overnight but I do know that mirtazapine gets into your system pretty fast so mayb you would be best asking GP which is best way to get if them...

Each GP seems to have different ways of bringing people if them

kaz

• Posted

Thanks Kaz,

My GP told me to go down to 15mg for one week, and then just stop, but I have some concerns about doing that, although acknowledge that I've only been on them a relativly short time.

Kris

• Edited

Kris

my GP done same with me I was on 45 mg brought down to 30mg for a wk then down to 15 mg for wk then stop..

im of them 13wks today 

other say their docs believe in tapering down but my doc also my physc wouldn't hear tell of it they said to jump of at 15mg and also they both said no withdrawls which is a pile of crap cos I had every withdrawl going..

you wont know until you try it as everybody reacts differently hopefully your one of the people won't who get hit with withdrawls 

meassage me anytime if if there is anything I can help you with il try my best

good luck

kaz

• Posted

Thanks again Kaz, how long were you on them for before coming off? 
    • Posted

I was on mirtazapine around 16 months but I know for sure after 2wks theyr fully in your system, well that's what my physc told me 

kaz

• Edited

Well I guess I better prepare for a rocky ride then Kaz! Wish I had never started them now sad 
    • Posted

You never know mayb your one of the lucky ones who will be fine getting of them as I see a few people can do it easy enuff .. but I definitely wasn't one of them ..

have you just joined the site or have you been on it for a while ?

kaz

• Posted

I joined the site today Kaz, but I've been reading a lot of posts over the last few weeks. 

• Posted

I will send you a private message now 

kaz

• Edited

I have only been on mirtazapine for two weeks. mostly 7.5 a couple of days at 15. my doctor told me I could just stop, no worries. should I cut the little 7.5 in half and take that for a few days. want to get it out of my system. I have terrible anxiety and emotional bluntness. I feel terrible on the mirtazapine so not sure if I will feel worse off of it.

• Edited

it's been 15 days off and I was only on it for 2 weeks. still experiencing insomnia and debilitating anxiety. how long will this last? should I go on citalopram or something similar. so hard to deal with the anxiety. as soon as I wake up and lasts most of the day.

• Posted

I've recently cross tapered from Mirtazapine to Nortriptyline. Had horrendous levels of anxiety the last couple of weeks since I went up in dose, but I'm just starting to feel better now.

The same happened when I tried Escitalopram. It made my anxiety a thousand times worse. So bad I had panic attacks as I was falling asleep in bed so came off it cold turkey and immediately felt a lot better.

Perhaps you should try a different med. Escitalopram seems to be very good if you can make it though the first 6 - 8 weeks.

• Posted

Hey Kris, i think your plan sounds good. Maybe a bit rapid, but listen to your body throughout the process. And yes you will see sedating effects at the lower dosage, even more so than at 30mg. Good luck. I think you should due well due to the short duration of exposure to mirt.
  • Edited

Hey Kris, i think your plan sounds good. Maybe a bit rapid, but listen to your body throughout the process. And yes you will see sedating effects at the lower dosage, even more so than at 30mg. Good luck. I think you should due well due to the short duration of exposure to mirt.
    • Posted

Thanks Gretel,

Do you think the sedating effects will just be more prominent on the evening I take them, or am I likely to feel more sedated the next day on 3.75mg than I did on 30mg?

Kris

• Posted

Hey Kris, when I tapered I felt sedation night and day
    • Posted

Kris, I tapered to 7.5mg week. Then I skipped nites, 7.5mg one nite then no mirt the next for a week. Then I stopped. Just an idea. From reading on here, sometimes people have difficulty tapering off the lower doses. Read alot of posts, even ones from a year ago. They are really helpful and we are all different.
    • Posted

Thanks Gretel. Maybe I'll give that a try.

• Edited

I honestly don't think it matters how long you've been on this drug to be honest as I was on it 4 years and 2 years with hardly any withdrawal this time I was on it a week and I'm still struggling it depends on many factors, only 20 percent of people get withdrawals and I was in that group twice, if the drug makes you sleep/eat more it's in your system so it's luck of the draw, but which I'd tapered well actually wish I'd never gone on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.