coming off Mirtazapine update

Posted , 5 users are following.

having followed the cita withdrawal method, I am planning on taking my final 2mg tablet tonight.  My sleep pattern has improved a little but I am still getting 1 or  2 completely sleepless nights a week. On the sleepless nights I have random song lyrics playing over in my head! I'd really like to know how long this is likely to last. If anyone has had any similar withdrawal symptoms, please share? Please note I have never, ever had a sleepless night before starting mirtazapine!

Thanks

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are those your only symptoms? Your sleep will improve as the drug leaves your system. Did you do a slow taper with the CITA protocol or did you dose drop every week? Also, how long were you on Mirt.? And how the heck did you get 2mg tabs?

Hope that is all the wd you get. And that your sleep improves rapidly.

• Posted

Hi Kathy,

I started taking 15mg in April last year. I started reducing really slowly from December and that is when the withdrawals kicked in.

I followed the cita protocol in March so I dropped a 2mg crum each week 7,6,5 etc taking me to the 7th week this week and my last crum. Yeah...I reduced the dose really slowly, yet the withdrawals still hit me hard :-/

I also get mild dizzy spells but not very often.

• Posted

With the help of a pill cutter, I managed to split the 15 mg into 8 pieces (just over 2mg each)
    • Posted

Repetitive thoughts and songs - something I never experienced before mirtazapine.

I feel like my emotions are coming back slowly - I no longer feel like such a zombie.

I feel very low most of the time but that's mainly due to insomnia.

Did you have any symptoms like this?

• Posted

Sometimes, but I am not off the drug yet. Did you experience nausea and dizziness?

It's very good that your emotions are coming back. Always a good sign.

• Posted

I do get a bit of nausea but that's of ten on the nights I'm not sleeping.
  • Posted

I'm on 7.5 coming off 15mg been on 45mg from las 2 yrs.. & im in agony feel sick stomach spasms can't eat feel so weak.. Minds racing can't see no hope as I feel in limbo..paranoia & all negative & never felt so alone 😢
    • Posted

dear jellbellkell you have done so brilliantly coming down from 45 mg so just keep telling yourself this .. you are most ddfinitely on your own ..i have been on 30 mg for 15 years and i just cant reduce it ..i have tried 6 times and even struggle reducing to 22mg the way the reduction makes me feel terrifies me so i have given up ...

• Posted

my apologies that should of said not on your own x
    • Posted

Did you use the CITA protocol? Or just weaning slowly. There is a huge difference between tapering down and skipping one dose a week?
    • Posted

I saw my dr & went of her advice & it made me really ill.. That's when I come on here few month bk.. & got really good advice of tapering off slower as the way the Dr said to come off it was too quick!!

Was it you I spoke to?? As your name looks familiar.. Anyway got level on 15mg then have cut it to 7.5 this pass week & im in agony again 😢

• Posted

Feel for you ..You only feel alone because no one can truly walk in your shoes. But believe me ...on here you are not alone. If you was to put us all in the same room as you, you'd surely see that you're not alone in the sense of being with people who are struggling too ..or have struggled and are fighting their own battles with poor mental health/depression/anxietywithdrawal (whatever it is). Because of that we hear you ..feel for you and can empathise. Jellbellkell keep going ...hopefully that light at the end of the tunnel will shine bright for you!

Wishing you a peaceful and restful night/day...

Regards Karl

• Posted

Such kind words Karl thank you :,)

I'm having a better day today.. It's just when you feel locked in it's hard snap out of it!! Anxiety, paranoia, all over negative.. My stomach felt in knots so struggle to eat during the day.. I take my tab at 8pm at night & that's when I get hungry 😩

so wish I did my research on mirt before taking it!!..

Anyway times a healer and need to keep positive & determined get better!!

May I add I'm from UK as I've seen a few posts that sound over the pond USA? Interesting to see where you all live?

Kelly xx

• Posted

Ooo god yes!! When I came off 45 to 30 it was horrendous then again at 15 to 7.5

I just find it makes me eat more @ night 😩😩 struggle to switch off till early hours.. 😱😵

How are you getting on?

Kelly xx

• Posted

Wow 15 yrs?? That's a long time!! So sad that you can't come off them but you do what makes you better..

I've been on that many anti-D's since I was 17 I'm now 36 😁 & decided I want to come off them altogether!! My choice.. Looking forward to being in control off my emotions doing it my way, instead of not knowing, feeling numb through being medicated..

I'm into natural therapys yoga meditation reiki etc.. It's all foggy at present but I'm still in process off getting mirt out of my system!!..

So sorry to hear how tough it is for you!! ((Hugs))

Kelly xx

• Posted

thankyou for lovely response Kelly ..you sound like you are doin brilliant ...really positive and healthy !! well done ..id love to know if anyone else struggles with just initial reduction from 30mg to 22.5 i feel like a failure but if heard other people found it hard them it would encourage me to try again as these tabs do absolutely nothing for me im just constantly worn out on them x
    • Posted

Instead of dropping straight down to 22.5, why not drop one 30mg dose per week, take 22.5, then drop 2 doses the next week or 2, etc. This lets your body and brain adjust better. It's the CITA method and seems to work for a lot of people.

• Posted

thankyou so much Kathy i think that is my way forward i just think i shoukd be strong and beable to do this but after 15 yrs of this tab its most definitely part of me !! its so encouragin to hear you all are coping with it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.