Coming off olanzapine.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I have been on 2.5 mg of olanzapine for nearly 5 months. I want off it cos of weight gain. I am on other psychiatric meds. Can i just stop or do i need to taper ?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think if you're on other meds (so can take anything) you can quit Olanzapine. You might need to do a short 2 week taper. If you're on no other meds though, it's hard.

• Posted

If you wanna be safe tho, my formula is 2*how many months you've been on it. 5*2=10. 10 weeks of tapering would be advisable, you'd definitely be off it then.

• Posted

Hi

How would i taper from 2.5 mg ?

Just drop to 1.25 for 10 weeks ?

• Posted

You could disolve the tablets in a beaker, stir it, pour out the difference. You could reduce the dose daily. You might need a milkshake on top, that stuff's bitter.

Or you could also get a pill cutter and cut by 1/8th every week.

• Posted

I find pill cutters can t really do more than cut small pills in half.

Did not know it was dissolvable in water.

• Posted

Get one of these 

oh I can't post images. If you Search "pill cutter"

they have a v that you can place a pill in and you can reliably orient the segments to cut smaller segments out of.

yeah also if you get the orodispersable versions of the pill you can dissolve them. If you've got a beaker with measuring guides you're sorted.

• Posted

Sorry I got the formula mixed up. It's actually 2*years=months. Not weeks.

So you were on it for 5 months. = 5/12 year. So 2*5/12=10/12 Month.

That's 30 days * 5/6 = 25 days. Taper for 25 days. 3-4 weeks.

• Posted

Tapering is pretty obvious to me, but no one does it. You wanna get up to how much dosage makes you feel good. Take it for a week. Then calculate how long you'll be reducing for. Reduce daily by the division of the dose to the reduction span.

• Posted

I think i got that.....pretty complicated.

2.5mg over 25 days is 0.1mg a day.

So it would be better for me to do this rather than drop to 1.25 mg for 25 days. I would need to get my psych to prescribe dissolvable pills for that to work. She already thinks im bonkers for insistingon slow tapers. She tells me to do really fast tapers and i refuse......i learnt the hard way. Im on quite alot of meds atm but what to get the last in out first.

• Posted

Yeah. Like the first 2 weeks you'd be sleeping fine, the last week you would be on less and less. Almost nothing. The last day you'd be on 0.1 mg. if you sleep fine on that dau its like you took nothing. Let us know how it goes. If at any point in the process you can't sleep, go back to last night's dose. You'll need another calculation (start another 25 days from that point) for how to get from that dose to zero. If it drags on, at least you'll be sleeping the whole time. GL.

• Posted

Im on 45mg of mirtazapine so not sure if not sleeping will be a problem.
    • Posted

You could get off mirtazapine one day with this method. Olanzapine is powerful, so the same calculation will give you how long to taper mirtazapine for. Years * 2 = months.
    • Posted

I've gone to a compounding pharmacist who turned the Olanzapine into liquid - I used a syringe to get him to 0.10ml in the last 2 weeks.  Unfortunately, 7 weeks after he stopped completely, he got some really bad withdrawal symptoms - all mentioned online - but the hospital he ended up in said he had relapsed and now he's back on it.  Could not convince one Dr that he had no psychosis until the very first time he tried Seroquel - they said it was impossible.  Let us know how you go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.