Coming off olanzapine.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I have been on 2.5 mg of olanzapine for nearly 5 months. I want off it cos of weight gain. I am on other psychiatric meds. Can i just stop or do i need to taper ?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Sarah  I was taking Olanzapine 5mg  for over 10 years about five weeks ago  I decided to investigate this drug and was horrified with what I found. Since being on this drug  I have suffered a stroke which has caused me brain damage   septic shock (I was very close to death and in intensive care for over 5 weeks)  I have developed diabetes  I have lost my mobility   I cannot pass urine and have to cathetise  All these symptons are the result of taking Olanzapine   I am now suing medical profession  for prescribing the drug.  I am reducing  to 2.5mg per day I have tried to reduce it to every other day but have very bad side effects  This drug has made mentally and physically disabled and I am claiming attendance allowance at the higher rate  Perhaps because you have only been on this medication for a relatively  short time you may be able to take 2.5mg every other day and hopefully have less withdrawal symptons  but you need to see your doctor for advice..  I am glad that you want to come of drug  and urge any one else who is reading this to seriously consider with- drawing . (the withdrawal symptons I have at present are panic attacks stomach cramps. shallow breathing, sleepless nights. I feel a mental and physical wreck! Please keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on  kind regards from Margaret
  • Posted

I am also on 2.5 mg of Olanzapine and also 100mg of Epilim

I teied to come off the Olanzapine cold turkey (because it was such a minimal dose) BUT it ws just too difficult .

Olanzapine is addictive and when you try to quit, you do get withdrawal symptoms.

For these reasons, my advice is to taper off gradually, preferably under medical supervision.

But please note that that is jsut MY advice: there are others on this forum who are way more experienced than I am.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.