Coming off Olanzapine

Posted , 94 users are following.

I have been on Olanzapine or over 6 years now from when I was diagnosed Borderline personality traits and all I can say is that I have endured 6 years of living hell. I have been taking 10mg every night for that time and piled on loads of weight, felt lethargic no confidence and started experiencing heart pains. I have had absolutely zero social life in that time and felt unable to think or communicate with other people. I decided just over a month ago to stop the treatment and now am starting to feel much better. I have lost a stone in 2 weeks and look much better ,I am now able to think clearly and have much more energy and motivation to do things. To help me stop the Olanzapine I have avoided alcohol completely (this always put me back to square one in the past). I am finding it difficult to get off to sleep without the aid of the drug but more excercise through the day is helping with this. I will never return to taking this drug again as I feel it has robbed me of 6 years of my life.

11 likes, 335 replies

335 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry other people have had problems. I started two days ago - I am not sure of my diagnosis, I think it might be bipolar II or it might be personality...there is a lot going on with me and the docs never agree what is phsyiological/neurological and what is personality... and neither do I!

I started 10mg at night. Previously I had been in a hellish depression - not getting out of bed, not answering the phone to others. If I tried to sleep at night I would hear loud screams and crashes, I would wake up just as I am falling asleep with horrible anxiety and very unpleasant restless leg syndrome. My nice GP gave me Olanzapine to help me sleep, reduce anxiety, reduce the strength of the urge to withdraw totally.

The first night I fell asleep very quickly and slept for 10 hours. I normally get headaches when I oversleep but I felt ok, if sluggish, and disorganised/clumsy. Before I fell asleep I felt a wonderful calm for about an hour. My restless leg was playing up but there was no way it could keep me awake.

Second night, I took some painkillers for toothache. I also took the Olanz after eating some toast last thing. It took me two hours to get to sleep - they were great, I felt incredibly quiet in my head and just... watching a film. I can't explain how long it's been since I had that quiet sense of normality. Actually I think the painkillers were a bad idea, I had a bright closed eye halluicination before sleeping - it was very beautiful but probably not what the doctor is looking for!

Today, I feel calm. My inner voice still goes nine to the dozen, but my head is usually in one place at one time now. I can concentrate long enough to write without my head racing ahead and confusing all the points I am trying to make.

The most impressive thing is how I feel around other people. I feel anxious and self-concious but that's maybe because, for the first time in memory, I have the intuitive sense of what others are saying with their body language - I don't look at them as a bundle of limbs and parts of faces and words that could mean any one of a hundred things - I can quickly glance at someone and get a feeling for their mood from their body language.

Communicating normally seems a bit easier when I am not trying to analyse and cross reference every single word! At the same time I am still anxious, probably because it's a big change, I almost feel like I am starting from scratch with social skills, an area I had been working on for the last year. I can start to see how I come across to others. What it hasn't stopped, is the mild paranoia. And I did feel pretty low midway through the morning, but it was just thirty minutes, as opposed to all day.

I might even be a bit hypo, lol, because things appear very clear and very solid - the last time this happened I was probably full blown manic.

Anyway, so far so good. What it has

I know someone else who took this for a long time. It helped initially but killed her sex drive and made her put on weight. In the end it probably stopped helping her because she became delusional and suicidal. I remember visiting her at the ward once, half an hour after taking the olanz, and she tried to walk out with a crazy look in her eyes. She now takes aripiprazole, which seems to help more. Like me she also takes 300mg of Venlafaxine, she has tried mirtazipine (worked too well!), sertraline (made her impulsive, just like me), and is now being switched to citalopram because she still lacks motivation. It might be working, she just phoned me up and told me she is fed up with bumming around LOL.

She also takes a lowish dose of Lithium. I guess I will end up on Valproate because of the closed eye / last thing at night hallucinations which are almost like Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. the bangs and screams as I fall asleep are called Exploding Head Syndrome (!!!!), this is a rare condition that I think is also linked to TLE. Bipolar itself like a cousin to TLE, which is why drugs like Valproate are prescribed for both conditions.

The lesson here is that every drug affects people differently. Keep pestering your doctors - don't be afraid to ask - let them know that you don't expect a miracle but you think something else might work better.

• Posted

I have the same problem where doctors disagree and don't know whether this is a matter of physiological/neurological or personality. For me this makes it really hard to know what to do with the path ahead and treatments. It's also made me really unsure of myself as to what in the world is going on with me. This is made particularly hard when I have symptoms right now that I wouldn't normally have and determining whether or not if this is me or zyprexa withdrawal is fun. So for me this not knowing is adverse for me, I don't know whether there is this aspect for you...but how do you mediate not knowing?

• Posted

How much olanzapine do you take? What do you take it for?
  • Posted

Um thats not Olanzapine that's c causing all those effects, I also dont think yocu have borderline personality traits. They tend to hand out that diagnosis the same as ADHD, its an easy resolution to label a patient and medicate them without doing any real work identifying an actual mental illness. I would say that you are more in the Schizo-affective or a mood disorder such as bipolar with social anxiety disorder. Don't continue to see this doctor as they are obviously not out to help you/. I took seroquel first and then they put me on olanzipine the only thing I will say is the waking up I took adderall with the seroquel but my doctor wanted me to try without while starting the olanzipine which if I cant have the adderall Im not continuing to take this medication.
    • Posted

I'm curious whether the post is still up that you were replying to?

btw bpd is an "actual mental illness". I agree it's a label that can be handed out all too easily but I can't see how a small section of writing like this could possibly convey whether someone has an illness complicated as that. Its synonymous to doctors all too easily handing a diag like that out making such a quick sweeping judgement here. Anyway identifying certain problems can take a lot of insight, and we've all met people that are oblivious to certain aspects of themself

• Posted

I've been taking olanzapine for 7 years. i was on high dosage 15mg then 10mg. now am on 5mg due to biopolor disorder.

It is a terrible drug. I put on 9 stone, i am always tired, and my memory is frustratingly bad. This drug reduces dopamine levels in brain which effects thought. I am always slightly constapated and needs loads of sleep to function. I tried to get off it. i went cold turkey and had insomnia and felt sick, had no appitite. i lasted 3 weeks until axiety (induced by withdawal effects) was too much to bear so took half dosage 5mg. I slept that night i took it again 14 hours.

Can someone please help me. Has anyone had simular expreiences to mine but managed to successfully get off the drug? Please tell me how long it took. and how you would reccomend i do it?

• Posted

I was on this lethal stuff for 17 years at 15 mg.  I was huge, tipping the scales at 17 1/2 stone.  I came off in June 2013.  Within 3 months I lost 4 stone.  Total insomnia for months.  But I became human and, at 50, started a new life, involved with things (jobs, relationships) beyond my wildest imaginings.  However, due to the properties of the drug, I had over the years, unknown to me, developed coronary heart disease.  So, in March this year, I had a heart attack, but thankfully survived after emergency op.  DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE TALKED INTO TAKING OLANZAPINE.  My advice?  Join a gym / get a cat / ignore the voices!!!
    • Posted

Hi Adam

I would recommend if you are taking 5mg and have been settled on this for a while to alternate 2.5 mg and 5mg for a few weeks or months before dropping to 2.5mg.  ie take 5mg one night and 2.5 the next.  You can get a cheap pill cutter at the pharmacist. 

This method was recommended to me by the manufacturer.  I am down to alternating 1.25mg and .625mg.  Give your brain as long as you can at each level before dropping.  The brain needs time to adjust and the longer you give it then you can avoid problems.  I used this method when coming off an anti depressant and avoided lots of potential problems.  Good luck

• Posted

crikey andy,

I did not know that was one of the possible side effects of the drug.  I am glad you have come out the other side and living the life you want. I am slowly weaning off this drug.

Cheers Marbel

• Posted

hello mate ive been taken olazapine for two years and using drugs at the same time but of the drugs but why am I getting these weird horriblw thoughys and pictures plz do reply ill end up killing me self I want to quit olazapine so bad thats not the point thought the point is im gettttting these thoughts which are disgusting thoughts plz do get back to me .... peace brother
    • Posted

Milad, how are you brother. First thing! Hang in there my friend!! Second thing. Those thoughts you are having are part of it. I know you probably don't thinks so because you never had those kind of thoughts before but thats part of being on this drug. Thirdly. Stop with the other drugs...if you mean you are taking recreational drugs. When you have these thoughts that are upsetting you you need to accept that you are having them and then focus on something else then move on. You could look at it like a smoker who is giving up cigarettes, they have urges to smoke, then the urge passes then they move on with the day without having a cigarette. Also, just remember, they are only thoughts, here one second gone the next. It's just a thought, that's all. Don't make it anything more than that. If you want to make something out of a thought think something positive and go do it, ie a run. Iv been on this stuff for 10 years and I'm almost off it. It's taken a lot of effort and hard work. I had and still have the same thoughts but there is a way through.  There are three basic changes you can make for developing your new better self. Change of THINKING and TALK. Change of BEHAVIOUR. Change of RELATIONSHIPS. It's a process and sometimes slow but you need to make changes. Stay safe brother and get well.

• Posted

mate another thng brother is that can somethink or someone see what ya thinking scared to sh*t cuz there horrible thoughts :'( plz do reply asap thanks hope its goin well for u! much love peace 
    • Posted

You are not the only one. I take this very same drug, and get images in my head that I did not think was imaginable. Along with disturbing dreams that I have woken up in the middle of the night from them and then was unable to go back to sleep. My theory is that since the drug makes you dull and not able to think clearly, your mind goes wild, which is followed by involuntary mental images and thoughts. You should have no reason to kill yourself, it happens to everyone, some just get it worse than others, television doesn't help with that either, example: horror movies, killer movies, rapist movies. My advice is as long as you do not make what you see in your mind reality, in any way do not try and imatate what you see in your mind, then you and everyone else we be safe, and just pass off all of those thoughts as a day-mare. Do not kill yourself over it, I made an account JUST so I could respond to your post, just know that there are people out there that know what you are going through and  still care enough to tell you not to end your life. I hope I I have helped you even a little bit. smile
    • Posted

I've had the same worry, but in all reality, NO one but YOU can get in your head. You alone have to suffer through it, but when there is darkness there will always come the sun. These thoughts will not last forever, and you will pull through. You are going through what they call a symptom of schizophrenia where you think everyone can hear your thoughts, which is maddening, I know, but once you snap back to reality, you'll think back and realize how far fetched it all was. I know what its like to loose complete sense on reality and forget what its like to be normal, don't be scared, it happens. I cannot for sure tell you if it is the drug...for I myself did not loose sense on reality until AFTER they put me on psychotropic drugs, so I don't know if its me...or the drugs...but judging how people are individual and very different in what they experience with mental illnesses, but the fact that the same things are happening to many who are taking drugs like this, it very well could be the drug.
    • Posted

thx brother means alot and helped me out alot and im not alone made me feel amazing true bro thank u!!!!!!!!! 
    • Posted

Hi Andy,

Congrats on your withdrawal and very very happy you`ve overcomed the heart attack.

I`ve been on Zyprexa for 6 years as well and quit about 4 months now.You would really help me if you could please answer a few questions for me:

1.How long you are off Zyprexa?

1.Do you stil have insomnia? If you do,what do you take to sleep at night?

2.Has Zyprexa left you with peripheral neuropathy or have you experienced burning and numbess in your feet (especially at night),contracted muscles and unexplained pains in your body during the withdrawal process?

I look forward to your reply and anyone how quit and would like to share his experience with me please please e-mail me at lodmini@yahoo.it

Many thanks and STAY OFF ZYPREXA!!! NEVER TOUCH IT OR QUIT NOW !!! IT WILL KILL YOU!!

• Posted

Hi Aura

I have been thinking about your experiences.  I would suggest if you can ring the drug company and explain the symptoms you are having.  They should have a team (prob of 1!) that looks into side effects and hopefully withdrawal syndrome problems.  They may be able to give you  some assurance that this does happen. Usually they like to hear these things through the GP s and psychiatrists but you may be lucky enough to talk to someone. Unfortunately there is probably an under reporting to the drug company so they may not have heard of these problems, though sleep problems tend to be common on this forum when reducing.  Maybe worth a try.

If you have a supportive GP that will take you seriously then let them know what is going on. Get them to report it to the drug company!.the doctor may want to check out some other possibilities too?.

Try the herb Zizyphus for the sleep problems.  You can take some 3 times a day for a week or two or I think others just use it before sleep?.  A herbalist may be able to help with dosages and time frames. Three of us on this forum have found it brilliant when reducing doses and in general. Others on this forum may have other things they use for insomnia.  I sometimes use 1/2 zopiclone.

Also I have found a DVD collection called energy healing by Dr Ann Marie Chiasson useful.  There are some tapping exercises  that help with neuropathy.  I can't use the toe tapping one at the moment (useful for sleep also) as I have a bad back at this moment but they are so simple and effective that they are well worth a try.  I got the DVD set  from the local library. I use the heart centred meditation too at night in bed before sleep. Both brilliant for anxiety as well.

Also I have some literature about withdrawal syndrome from anti depressants and 1/4 of those people who had withdrawal syndrome effects lasted more that 12 weeks so take heart this may resolve soon. They don't mention neuropathy but it is a different drug for a differrent purpose.

I rang the drug company once or twice about problems dropping doses and someone did try to ring me from Australia to gather info but I could not hear their numbers on the answerphone. The times I talked to them in NZ they were very helpful including giving me tips on how to reduce the meds. I did strike one person who said they only talk to shrinks but why not be cheeky?.  We are the ones taking these things, why should there be gate keepers!.

Good luck

Strength to you!  Marbel

• Posted

ho marbel, hope all well. i have been attending a weekly mental health group here in sydney which has been helpful. they have groups in nz as well so thought i would share. the group and program is called Grow and it is based on the AA model of recovery, 12 steps. google Grow and mental health, should come up.

colin

• Posted

Hi sack nice to hear from you.

I have just walked in the house from an amazing holiday in the catlins in the south island.  We did lots of walking in the bush which was excellent for my back.  We saw sea lions up close on the beach, and stayed for ages in a hide to watch the yellow eyed penguins come home.  Also lots of native birds in the pristine coastal forest there.

Thanks, you have mentioned GROW before, thank you. 

I have been dropping one of my 1.25 m doses by a quarter once a week for the last month and am about to do that twice a week.  This is really dropping by minute increments. I am still taking .625 every second day.

I did notice while I was on holiday that I have a real fear of heights and some of the coastal walks were a bit of a challenge and I was walking as far from the edge as I could. Most of my usual life i feel pretty in control!.

Hope you are well Colin.  What sort of things do you talk about?.

Peace Marbel

I

• Posted

Hi marbel, wow sounds great! Back to nature eh. We are over there at Xmas for 3 weeks tripping around South Island. I had a bit of a wobble last week and had to back up to 2.5mg from 1.25 and .625 two days a week. I dropped back to 1.25 last night but will have to take it easy again to get back to where I was. Was pretty frightening, hearing voices etc. I had two weeks on my own with my 2.5 year old daughter as my wife was oseas working. Was going fine but last two days got a bit too much and I fell apart. I take my hat off to single parents, that's a hard row to hoe! Plus I had let my fitness slip so it was a recipe for disaster. Still got back on track quickly which is good and actually feel pretty good now, gained some insight into my fears etc as well so not all bad I guess.

In the meetings we follow a set program each week. Discussion, experiences, problem solving and learning/teachings. We also share how we  became to be Ill, what led us to grow and how we are doing as we recover. I have been going for about 8 weeks and last Monday was my first time giving testimony, where you tell your story/journey. It was very difficult be open an honest about what I had done, what had happened to me etc as I had not even admitted it to myself and here I was telling the group. But I gained strength from hearing the testimonies of the other members during the previous weeks. Believe me, my story paled in comparison to what some of these people have been through and endured. I was brought to tears by some. So it was a very empowering moment as I opened to the group who listened without judging. It put things into perspective and context for me as well as I listened to what I was saying I realised how I had come to be who I was.

So that's what we do at Grow marbel. The program was created by mental health sufferers in Sydney in 1957 who got together and created the program to recovery. I hope you are well, have your feet up and are enjoying the relaxation that time away in nature has brought to you.

Colin

• Posted

Hi colin

sorry it has taken me so long to send this to you.  I have lost my reply twice this week and have also been away at my mums for a few days.

I hope you are feeling ok on 1.25 or 2.5 it does not matter which level you are on as long as you are not having those uncomfortable symptoms.

My pharmacist did recommend when i had problems reducing the anti depressant to stay at the higher level for three months before reducing again.

Yes young children are super demanding.  I have done quite A bit of nannying and am always grateful to be able to hand them back at the end of the day!.

Congrats for sharing with your grow group what you have experienced.  I am happy for you that is was so empowering.   Maybe one day i hope more of society understands our experiences better too. I am pretty careful who I share with but your group sounds awesome.

Marbel xx

• Posted

Hi:

How did you manage to get through the total insomnia for so long.  I go 1 night with insomnia and I go balistic.  I can't imagine.  I am on 15 mg of olanzapine and 200 mg of doxepin and I barely sleep even on that so insomnia night after night must be HORRIBLE. I can't imagine.  It is so counter intuitive that we need to stop the drugs to recapture a normal sleep pattern.  I think that the drugs disrupt normal sleep.  I also just came of klonopin and temazepam as well so this could explain my difficulties right now.  I also have screaming tinnitis since going on the olanzapine.  My prayers go out to you. Stay strong.

Kendall

• Posted

hi marbel, thanks for the reply. just wanted to share something. I have been taking this stuff for 10 years at 6 oclock on the dot every night. Most days i wake like i have a hangover, drowsy, grumpy etc then battle through the day. I have pretty much delt with daily symptoms of over analysing things, thinking people are talking about me etc etc All me me me stuff. This has been on a minor scale as to what happens when im off the meds and experiencing psychosis but the same kind of things, just to a lesser extent. Anyway, the other day i went and got my new script as i was out of meds. Got home and read the label....take 3 times a day! I thought "why have i been taking these at night?" So i started taking them at 7am instead. The change was instantaneous. My day was more relaxed, clearer thinking, more focused, better concentration. And then that night i had the best nights sleep in years, went straight to sleep and woke up like i had never been on meds, full of energy and ready to go. that was nearly a week ago and every day/night has been the same so far. I cant believe i was taking them at night and feeling so bad for so long when i should have been taking them during the day all along. Do you take day or night marbel? its only early yet but i also dropped from 2.5 to 1.25 when i started the day regime with a hiccup. I think because i have been dealing with these day to day occurances with little in my system during the day i am so much better equipped now at the lower dose during the daytime. And if you think about it the meds are doing "what" while you sleep. When im awake i see and feel the benefits. Anyway, just thought i would share and ask if you are a day or night taker?

regards,

colin

• Posted

Hi Colin

wow that is a good finding. I do take mine at night.  I have been doing a jump around routine at the moment with levels and finding i am really irritable so hesitant about changing times at the moment.  I take 1.25 every four days, about .9 every four days and then .625 every second day.  Prob does not make sense but trying to get to the point where taking .9 and .625 alternating.  Aiming for the new year. I am going to get some scales so can take accurate dosages.

Thanks for your advice and really pleased this is working so well for you.  I will give it some serious thought.

Cheers marbel

• Posted

Hi Sack and Dhrti 

I am writing to wish you a happy new year and thank you for helping me through the year. My reduction is going ok and i using a blade to cut the doses that are hard to cut with the pill cutter. All the best friends and to anyone else reading this forum.

Marbel

• Posted

Dude same here i've been taking zyprexa for 7 years also at fisrt it was okay because my last doctor got me all drugged up from 10 anti depressants a day with seroquel and other mood stabalizers plus valium at night then i had my 3rd opinion from my neuropsych he reduced all my meds and weede me off seroquel, valium and other mood stabalizers which is good now im down to 1mg rivotril plus 5mg zyprexa once every night this helps me sleep and counter act all the depressive and psychotic thoughts the problem was the weight gain even though i workout a lot and change my diet to oatmeal, tuna, wheatbread, brownrice and high protein food i still gain weight but before when i used zyprexa and worked out like crazy and changed my lifestyle to a healthy one i lost 39 pounds in 3 months that was when i was 25-28 yrsold now im 30 yrs old it seems that it has messed up my metabolism no matter how much i workout or diet i still gaines weight, can i lower my dose from 5mg to 2.5mg would this help in weight loss? And less feeling of slugishness like the person thay commentes above he said he was already on a .05 mg zyprexa is there such a dose? I know the lowest is 2.5mg and can we use fat burners like lcarnatine to counteract the weight gain, actually i have no problem with zyprexa coz it works for me the problem is the rapid weight gain, its like im working out so hard and dieting at the gym and it seems depressing and foolish coz there's no progress except that time when my age was 25-29 yrs old... Anw does anyone know another AP drug that would do the same thing as zyprexa does without the rapid weight gain thanks by the way i have bipolar II, that's why i'm taking zyprexa, what can be a substitute for zyprexa or what can i do to reduce weight gain and other health risks like diabetes thanks guys
    • Posted

Hi marbel, same here i've been taking zyprexa for 7 years also at fisrt it was okay because my last doctor got me all drugged up from 10 anti depressants a day with seroquel and other mood stabalizers plus valium at night then i had my 3rd opinion from my neuropsych he reduced all my meds and weede me off seroquel, valium and other mood stabalizers which is good now im down to 1mg rivotril plus 5mg zyprexa once every night this helps me sleep and counter act all the depressive and psychotic thoughts the problem was the weight gain even though i workout a lot and change my diet to oatmeal, tuna, wheatbread, brownrice and high protein food i still gain weight but before when i used zyprexa and worked out like crazy and changed my lifestyle to a healthy one i lost 39 pounds in 3 months that was when i was 25-28 yrsold now im 30 yrs old it seems that it has messed up my metabolism no matter how much i workout or diet i still gaines weight, can i lower my dose from 5mg to 2.5mg would this help in weight loss? And less feeling of slugishness like the person thay commentes above he said he was already on a .05 mg zyprexa is there such a dose? I know the lowest is 2.5mg and can we use fat burners like lcarnatine to counteract the weight gain, actually i have no problem with zyprexa coz it works for me the problem is the rapid weight gain, its like im working out so hard and dieting at the gym and it seems depressing and foolish coz there's no progress except that time when my age was 25-29 yrs old... Anw does anyone know another AP drug that would do the same thing as zyprexa does without the rapid weight gain thanks by the way i have bipolar II, that's why i'm taking zyprexa, what can be a substitute for zyprexa or what can i do to reduce weight gain and other health risks like diabetes thanks guys
    • Posted

hi Michael

I have been taking olanzapine for psychosis and have been mainly taking 2.5 mg as I could not tolerate 5mg. (headaches, dizzyness, nausea at 5mg).  The best way to drop to 2.5mg is to alternate 5mg one day and then take 2.5 mg the next, then 5mg the next day and so on for a while like six to eight weeks or longer until decide to take  2.5 mg every day.  I learnt this process from the drug company and pharmacist and have used it very successfully. Doing this alternating of doses for 6-8 weeks allows the brain to adjust to the lower levels and hopefully stops any nasties happening like anxiety or sleeplessness associated with dropping doses rapidly.

Good luck with your weight loss. I have read  for all people weight gain can be associated with 'medications' (also alcohol and fats I think) as the liver has to process them and this effects weight gain... also this is a known side effect of olanzapine.  So I guess you may have to discuss with someone like your neuropsych if it is worth reducing to 2.5mg (overtime!) if 5 mg is working well for you. I put on a marginal amount of weight on this drug at 2.5 mg but nothing worrysome.

Sorry I don't know a replacement for zyprexa.  See your GP, psychiatrist or pharmacist?..  Also a pharmacist may be able to tell you if you can take fat burners with olanzapine and can probably also tell you why you are having problems with your metabolism and suggests ways to reduce weight gain.  Any way these are the types of questions I ask my pharmacist as she is awesome!

Well done Michael for coming off all those other drugs.  Are you still in contact with your neuro psych?. and good luck with reducing your weight.

Marbel

• Posted

Hey marbel, micheal and everyone else. Just to let you know I have gone fully onto meds at 7.00am rather than at night at 6.00pm. started this about 8 weeks ago, maybe less. At the time I was taking 2.5mg every day. now in just this short time I am on .625 every day with no issues at all. sleeping like a baby every night as well. I have a few "moments" but have gotten through relatively easily. When I fel a little uneasy i take the extra .625mg. I beleive because I am awake and functioning with the lower dose fresh in my system I am able to work out when I "may" need to take a little extra to ease things. So far this has happened only twice which I feel is great as I have sliced down from 2.5mg to .625 pretty quickly with no issues. My psych said a few months back that I could come off them and to have the meds on me "in case" I needed them. The day thing is definetly working for me, more energy, clearer thinking etc. Might be worth considering or trying??
    • Posted

Hey sack

that sounds great.  thank you for the advice.  I hope your holiday break went well for you.

Marbel

• Posted

Hi Sack

well I fell into psychotic thoughts these last two weeks with delusions about the relationship between me and someone. Oh well I thad no real insight though the last four days I did increase my meds to 1.25 in the morning Colin as you suggested and that did bring me back to reality.  So thank you for that advice.  I am now taking 1.25 in the morning and 1.25 at night and hoping to get to a lower maintenance dose sometime.  Honestly i did not see that coming and lost sleep, weight pretty quickly.  I went to my mums last week which helped but home now.  Hard on my partner when you say you feel connected to someone else even though it is a delusion.  My mother and friend said not to tell details but that was not going to work for me as I would have felt deceitful. I have been happily in my relationship for 15 years and would not change a thing!.  I think was too low dose at .625 and .9 alternating and got very happy and busy over January.  I did feel more excited about life and myself on the lower meds. bum bum

Peace to you all Marbel

• Posted

Hi Marbel, Just keep going. Here is an insight I have gained from being on day meds, might help you along a bit. When I start to spiral it is actually more noticible, to me. When this happens I take a little extra. This usually helps me get through. Then I can get back to where I was quickly and keep moving forward. The best advice my psych gave me when we talked about coming off meds was "just have them with you when you need them" This seems to work as my viewpoint now with the meds now is not "oh, Im stuck on these things" but rather "ok, Im doing my best to get clean, but there will be hurdles and when I get to those hurdles I need to get over them". I have been doing .625mg for a few weeks now and the last few days I went without any, purely because I forgot here and there and also as I was feeling ok. Yesterday and day before I went to a dark emotional place, relationship was suffering etc. Somehow I got through this time though. Today, I woke feeling fine but took the meds as a safety net.

I guess you and I are similar in some respects, it sounds like you have a good, kind heart and any disruption to your feeling contented or trying to do your best sends you into a spin. This is how it is for me anyway...

My thought for the day is "we are so concerned with what goes in our mouths and how it will end up making us look ie:fast foods make us look fat and feel ugly. But for some reason we are less concerned about what we see, hear and smell. Sight, smell and hearing feed us on a mental level and if we are mentally unwell it will not matter what we eat". 

So from here on I am going to try and feed my sight, my hearing and my smell senses with things that will feed me well, not poison me.

Take care Marbel.

Colin

• Posted

thanks Sack appreciatedbiggrin
    • Posted

hi marbel, just thought i would update you on progress since going on day meds. Last two weeks I have been 2 days no meds - 1 day .625 - 4 days no meds - 1 day .625 - 4 days no meds - 1 day 1.25 now onto 2nd day with no meds again. Insight gained: anything stressfull sets me off. Yesterday we got some bad news to do with a dispute we are in, tonight woke at 1am stressing about it...so next day or so will need to be vigilant but am aware of signs and will counter with keeping busy and away from stress. Also went onto sleep hygeine program which is going to bed at same time every night and getting up at same time every morning. Theory behind this is the body resets itself into a routine of when it sleeps and when it wakes, makes you calmer and morefocused. Makes sense, i had done this everyday of my life up until about 7-8 years before issues arose. Hope you are well.

Colin

• Posted

Hi Andy, I've got a question for you. I live in Canada and we weigh ourselves in either pounds or kilo's. What is the equivalent of a stone... say in kilo's?

• Posted

Dunno if someone's already answered your question, but 1 stone=14 lb. Therefore 1 stone=14x0.454kg (approx. 6.4kg).
    • Posted

Thank you Lilly,

Presently I weigh 14.6 stones. My diabetes doctor still wants me to loose weight. Having diabetes relies on people being fit and trim. I'm also going to start walking around the long block around my apartment a couple times a day. They say walking is the best exercise for diabetics. I'd also like to mention that my psychiatrist has reduced my Olanzapine by 1/2. I feel more awake during the daytime. Slowly but surely I will be off this medication. I also got a hold of a great e-cigarette. No nicotine. Only strawberry vapor. What a difference. I've cut back my regular cigarette usage from 20/day to 10/day... getting better all the time. What I do is smoke 1/2 the cigarette them put it out for later. If only I could cut out the caffeine in my diet. That ruins my sleep patern. I'm a coffeeholic. Almost a pot of coffee per day. Terrible HUH?

• Posted

Hi Adam I am currently taking 2.5mg every 2 days as I am also struggling with same effects you describe. My psychiatrist tells me its not addictive and I'm frustrated and believe it is but am determined to try to get off this. Jo
    • Posted

Hi Michael2345,

I started olanzapine a month ago.  At first 2.5mg, second abd third weeks up to 5mg. Fourth week I asked the Dr. to go down again, and so I did.

I would go from sleepeless, extra happy, (maniac) nights to extra oversleeping, gained weight, had constipation, bloating, water retention, shock on fingertips, memory blocks here and there, tooth infection, kidney pain on awaking, headache, and likely more.

However, I did notice some improvements in my life.  I felt normal for the first time in a long time.

Even down to 2.5mg, I still had side-effects piling up, so decided to go down to 1.25 (using a pill cutter), every other day. May try even less.

This has been great...

If this works, why are people taking such high doses?

Weight started going down, feeling as normal as I ever felt, more able to follow through my plans, better self control (even for eating! - taking Garcinia, as herbal tea, though), more normal sleeping and waking time, 'lack' of intrusive thoughts.

I also use homeopathy, an herbal tea combination, and due to olanzapine at this small dose, was able to come back to hatha yoga practice (using a 'health and yoga' book which I have for decades). With all this, but without olanzapine, I have had good moments, but was still losing it. Insanity (schizoaffective) was gaining space. With olanzapine at minimal doses but being backed by these alt. treatments, I am beginning to have hope in life.

First step is sincerity of intentions.  Faith in what you have faith, and follow what it clearly directs you to do.

• Posted

Hi Marbel,

How have you been doing? Which dose of olanzapine are you at now. Last time you said you would be going down to 1.25mg and .625 alternatively. How was it going on? Are you successful coming off it already? Hope to hear positive news from you.

• Posted

hi niemtin

unfortunately I had some bad early warning signs ie losing sleep and not eating well in January due to stressful situation so am back on 2.5mg and looks like that will be forever as been on them 20 years so brain has changed for good.  Also doctor put me on clonazepam (anti anxity meds)for sleep in june which ended up causing anxiety and then psychiatrist said to try citalopram (anti depressant to help with the anxiety)which I used to be on.  took me a year and a half to come off that. I told him that I got anxiety getting on to citalopram.  In the end i persisted and sure enough more anxiety from the citalopram so I reduced it and got more anxiety so I am now also stuck on a benzo that I should never have been put on. (clonazepam .5 in morning and .375 in afternoon) I have been offered a medical inpatient detox to change from clonazepam to valium but I am so over the drug reactions I am going to ween myself off the benzo over a long time starting next year Hopefully by that time I will have also dropped the 2.5 mg of citalopram I am on.  Honestly the doctors caused more problems than they helped me this year. I was happy to take the 2.5 mg of olanzapine but am well p*ssed I am stuck on the benzo and citalopram again!.  Hope all is better with you

Marbel

• Posted

Hi Andy,

I'm glad to hear that you successfully came off Olanzapine after such a long time of using it. How have you been recently? How is the heart disease, do you feel comfortable with it now? I've been on and off Olanzapine for 15 years and your situation gives me hope to continue the coming off. Sadly, I could not bear the insomnia for just only 1 night. Can you tell your story of overcoming insomnia for months, how do you handle it?

• Posted

Hi ive just been reading your posts as my son has been suffering very similar things.and just been diagnosed. He has been on olanzipine a week. How are you doing now? I hope things have improved for.you
    • Posted

Hi Julie. I feel very saddened that your son is on this horrific drug.

i reckon I lost two years of the last three due to swallowing it. My work ethic has evaporated along with any interests.

No golf, no cycling, no social life and unable to even relax with a beer. 

The depression was such that I felt nothing, just getting out of bed and breathing.

Do the research then demand an alternative med, as this one should be labelled "physchos only"

Dont be weak.

• Posted

Oh, and I am doing fine having weaned myself off; thanks for asking
    • Posted

'If this works, why are people taking such high doses?'

I ask myself this as well. I have weaned myself off over years and only take .625 most days but I still find that stopping all together difficult. I could do it as I do not fear psychosis anymore but I function better on this small dose. I find the anxiety and feelings of foreboding return every time I stop. So if such a small dose has an effect then why put people on such high doses.

I also agree that a healthy life style and diet works wonders as well. A little of everything does you good. A mediterranean diet works well for me. I am normal weight and very good energy levels for my age.

• Posted

.625 is not considered a therapeutic dose and probably does nothing at all for you; perhaps there's a placebo effect going on with you and your slight anxieties are best ignored.

I fear nothing, least of all psychiatrists and see them as a last resort; someone I can look to for comfort and nurture that are badly missing from my life. Do you have this essential care from a partner?

if you do put the meds where they belong; the pharmacy's incinerator

• Posted

I do not think that it is placebo effect and I have tried several times and I feel it consistently causes the same effect. I will continue to try as I would like to be meds free but I like my quality of life as well. Who says it is not a theraputic dose the same people who said it is no problems to stop the medications. I do not trust them and can only go on my experiences.
    • Posted

Fair comment, 

.625 seems commonly taken in the states, but our md's in the uk seem to think of 5 mg as the minimum and 2.5 is regarded as a maintenance dose.

as long as you are happy I think you're probably doing the right thing; each of us humans is totally unique and the drug is a one fits all chemical cosh.

I can't buy into that

• Posted

No, drugs affect people in different ways as we can see from this forum. I am quite scientific with my approach to reduction and have my ups and downs but I continue to strive to continue working as it is good for me. So as long as I can do this and I feel healthy I am happy.

My health is good so I do not worry too much about this. I was started at 5mgs and have never had any side effects but I hate the effect it has on me when I reduce or stop the drug. If I had side effects I would have stopped the medication and put up with the effect as I did with Reboxatine that caused, increased heart rate , palpitations, gut problems. It is the effect it has on me psychologically that worries me. I hate to be dependant on anything.

• Posted

Hello Chrissy64573

Need advise.

My brother is off from zyprexa since 6/27/16. And now he is having thoughts that we donate money we can't leave the house. And he doesn't know why he has this thought. I need your advise. Do those thought go away?

• Posted

Hello Chrissy,

How are you doing? I was wondering if you were able to come off zyprexa and back to "normal"

• Posted

I've been ardently told by a psych that Zyprexa is a drug to come off supervised with a psychiatrist, and reduced in increments over time to minimise withdrawal symptoms which sometimes can't help be avoided. 

• Posted

Zyprexa is notorious for weight gain. I put on stacks. I had one psych say while I was on it that trying to lose weight will be a losing battle :s My diag is in dispute but one explanation is bipolar, like yourself and I had two psychs recommend abilify as an alternative to zyprexa. Hope that can b of some help.
    • Posted

Hello ive been on zyprexa for over 12 years mostly on 15mg can you offer me some advice as to how long you should wait after youve gone down and should i do 15 mg to 10 then alternated like you were saying any help would be greatly aprreciated thankyou
    • Posted

Hi Sack, could you pass on the details of this place you went to in Sydney?  Thank you.
    • Posted

3. Cold Turkey vs. Tapering

Did you quit cold turkey or did you conduct a gradual taper? Antipsychotics like Zyprexa are very serious drugs and the withdrawal effects can be debilitating. It is always recommended to conduct a very gradual taper to allow your body to slowly adjust to functioning without the drug over a period of time. In general the tapering period should be influenced by your current dose as well as how long you took the drug.

If you were on this particular drug for an extended period of time, it is recommended to taper at a rate of 10% per month. By slowly reducing your dose, you will give your neurotransmitters some time to accommodate and adjust to changes in the amount of the drug you ingest. If you are very sensitive to even minor reductions in dose, you can request a liquid compound that will allow you to reduce your dose by fractions of milligrams.

4. Personal Factors

Individual factors play a huge role in determining the difficulty of withdrawal. Some people naturally are very sensitive to changes in dosage and may have a much more difficult time withdrawing. Additionally some people have much more social support than others which helps them cope with their experience coming off of the drug.  People taking other medications or transitioning to another antipsychotic may not even notice much of a withdrawal compared to individuals who were only taking Zyprexa. Some individuals have better dietary habits, sleeping patterns, exercise habits, less stressful jobs, etc. – all these factors can play a role in influencing withdrawal. Therefore it is recommended to not compare yourself to that of other people when withdrawing.

Good luck - It took my 4 weeks to get over most of the ugly side effects: suicidal, depression, anxiety, insomnia (mod), hot and cold temp, unwell, and this lasted for days on end not off and on.  I slow tapered until 1.25mgs then I came off, first week was okay but the 2nd and third week was terrible, the fourth was hard but bearable.  I am on the road of recovery and am not ever going back if I can help it!!

Take it slow but don't give up. smile

• Posted

Hi I hope someone could help my sister has 3rd Time relapse now she is on 10mg actually she is k just talking extra starts extrem explains everything just understand won’t sleep for long about 5 hours when she takes her meds and that’s it but she goes gym and normal things she does cooking all sorts just very talkative wat to do is that normal it’s been over 2 weeks she taking 10 mg 
    • Posted

No one can hear your thoughts I hope you won’t go through hell like I did,all the trips that happen in your head nothing is real it’s all just tricks,I don’t know if you ever heard a saying if you can rule your mind you can rule the world 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.