Coming off sertraline - advice needed

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice or relate to my post… I have been taking Sertraline for almost three years now and prior to this was on citalopram for 2 years. Apart from the odd bouts of depression and anxiety I am a fit and healthy 28 year old woman. I have decided that I would like to go it alone and come off sertraline and I feel as though now is a good time in my life to do so. My doctor has supported my decision also. I was on a 50mg daily dose so, as advised by my doctor, I began taking one tablet every other day (1 day on, 1 day off). I have been doing this for just over six weeks now and have not found it to be too bad although have felt a lot more tired than usual. Last week I began to reduce my dose further and started to do 2 days off followed by one day with a 50mg tablet. Since doing this I now feel like I am beginning to stumble. I feel ridiculously emotional and find myself in tears over very trivial things. I also lack energy, motivation and have lost interest in hobbies ect. I am finding this very worrying. Has anyone been here? Do these side effects go away? Is it possible to come off sertraline? If anyone has any advice or words of wisdom they would really be appreciated.

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, I can only share what I am going through right now but the symptoms you describe, feeeling apathetic, tired, lack of motivation, lost interest in hobbies ect are all the things I attribute to taking sertraline......for the first few months I seriously thought this was a wonder drug for me, it stopped my anxiety and for the first time in years I could think properly. However the side effects , particulary apathy and not being bothered to do things is not me, I am at a loss what to do and plan to go to the docs, good luck with your struggle, I know this probably won't help but I think this drugs side effects are confusing x
    • Posted

I had exactly the same side effects as you! I was so glad to get relief from the anxiety and panic attacks that I didn't really notice my lack of motivation or inability to enjoy myself. Today I had a long chat with my gp and I'm going to be changing to mirtazapine. Firstly I have to lower my sertraline to 50mg from 150mg so I can cross taper x

• Posted

I'm trying to wean off 50mg of Zoloft. I'm seeing a counselor, who I know plans to do this, but I'm not seeing him again for a few more weeks, so I'm trying to get a head start. I've gained nearly 50 pounds in the last year and a half, and basically feel worse than I remember when I started taking it. At my last appointment, he told me to begin taking Fish oil. He said that studies have shown fish oil to be as effective as Zoloft, without the negatives. Since he didn't give me a wean off schedule yet, I'm just here to see what others have done and their experiences. I've only taken 1 pill, every other day, for the last week. I feel great, BUT, it's only been a week. I'm also trying to remember to take the fish oil everyday. I just wanted to put this out there for those that are really wanting to get off Zoloft, and avoid the potential viscious cycle of getting off and on this medication. I'm not going to say how much he suggested to take, because I don't want to sound as if I'm advertising something, but DO ask your GP or PCM about the fish oil as an option.
    • Posted

Could you tell me more about the fish oil... I've never heard of it being used as an antidepressant before. I have been thinking about coming off Zoloft so any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
  • Posted

Hello, so I oringally started this thread over a year ago. I got pretty close to coming off setraline but then went through a rough patch and had to go back to my original 50mg dose. I understand this is usual and happens to many people. However, I'm trying to give it another shot now. I have always taken 50mg so to begin my taper I have been taking 50mg one day and then 25mg the next. I have been doing this for about three weeks now. At first it was fine and I had no problems. However, I am starting to feel more anxious and stressed out as the days go on. I also feel extremley tired and lack energy and motivation. I don't want to blame these symptoms purely on trying to taper off sertaline as I have just taken on a new role at work and am not enjoying it too much so this may also be contributing to how I am feeling. I think I will stick with the 50/25mg combination a bit longer and then my next progression will be 25mg daily. I am going to take it very slowly though to help minimise possible side affects. I wish it had been made clearer to me by doctors just how difficult it can be to taper off this drug. Good luck to all out there going through something similar :-)
    • Posted

How are you doing. I was on 50mg for four years. This is my first week doing 25mg. And I'm feeling more depressed than when I started on the meds. I'm dizzy, anxious, tired and feel horrible. Did you feel this? My husband doesn't understand and I guess I just need to please talk to someone going thru the same changes. Thanks

• Posted

Listen almost all medication like this takes time. Zoloft for me to really start to even out took 2 weeks and I became much better after 3 weeks. It will get better.
    • Posted

I'm trying to come off setraline 25 mg dose.ive only been on it for 6 weeks. I was advised to take it one day and skip a day.do this for a week and then stop it.

• Posted

Keep your doze even per day. Do not go 1 day off and 1 day on. Cut the tablet in half once a day.
  • Posted

Yes it very much did. 
    • Posted

Good question. I've been on them for 3-4 years now and feel that I want to try and cope without medication. I'm 29 and will want to have children in the near future and know that sertraline poses risks in pregnancy. Also I have recently been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease which may lead to me needing to take medication to control it. If I can manage without sertraline (who knows only time will tell) I'd like to think thats one less drug I need to put into my body unnecessarily.
    • Posted

Hi, just wondering how you got on in the end? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Hope it worked out for you.
    • Posted

Hi there, I'm still going with the taper have almost got down to 25mg a day but have been really struggling the last few weeks 😢 no motivation and very emotional. How are you doing? Xx
    • Posted

Hi Rachael, I hope it's been going well for you. My fiancé has very recently started taking Sertraline, and we're going through the initial symptoms now. I'm a little worried now he's started that he won't be able to come off them ever, so I'd love to hear any updates from you or what you've found to work best, just in the event that he wants to stop taking them. How has it been going?

I'm also wondering if, in your three years of taking Sertraline, you ever felt comfortable enough to drink alcohol while on it. We are getting married in two months and he wants to be able to have a few drinks on his bachelor/stag do, as well as at the wedding. I think he will be able to limit himself very carefully in the event he does, and we are planning to have a couple drinks at home in a month, once the initial side effects have (hopefully) subsided, so we can see how it goes slowly and safely. Any advice?

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for your message. I hope you're fiancé is doing ok?

I'm slowly starting to see some light I think with the withdrawal. The last 6 weeks have been a bit up and down but I think I'm stable at 25mg now. I will probably stay at this dose for another month before making my next reduction by 10% (although not sure how that will work as I've already half a 50mg tablet to get 25mg and that's pretty small and might be tricky to break in half??)

With regards to alcohol I have still been able to drink on sertraline (I'm not a massive drinker though). I might have 1-2 glasses of wine with a meal once a week or something. A couple of times that I have had too much to drink I've not noticed too much difference from when I wasn't taking the sertraline, I've maybe been a bit more emotional but that's it. I'd say just go slow with it and don't over do it.

I hope that's helpful. Wishing you and your fiancée all the best 😊 x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.