Coming off sertraline - advice needed

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice or relate to my post… I have been taking Sertraline for almost three years now and prior to this was on citalopram for 2 years. Apart from the odd bouts of depression and anxiety I am a fit and healthy 28 year old woman. I have decided that I would like to go it alone and come off sertraline and I feel as though now is a good time in my life to do so. My doctor has supported my decision also. I was on a 50mg daily dose so, as advised by my doctor, I began taking one tablet every other day (1 day on, 1 day off). I have been doing this for just over six weeks now and have not found it to be too bad although have felt a lot more tired than usual. Last week I began to reduce my dose further and started to do 2 days off followed by one day with a 50mg tablet. Since doing this I now feel like I am beginning to stumble. I feel ridiculously emotional and find myself in tears over very trivial things. I also lack energy, motivation and have lost interest in hobbies ect. I am finding this very worrying. Has anyone been here? Do these side effects go away? Is it possible to come off sertraline? If anyone has any advice or words of wisdom they would really be appreciated.

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Rachael

I take100 mg and am also thinking on going off this medication. I take it because I'm somewhat hyper and need to focus more.  I think it has helped but I find myself very emotional and crying a lot. I also have had insomnia for years. Time to get off of it!!  I'm going to call my dr tomorrow and ask him how I go about it.  Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Rachel and all,

Just wanted to share my experiences. My road to sertraline has been a very interesting one. Long story short, I had a physical condition (back/ribs) that slowly but surely became a mental condition (via anxiety). This happened 4 years ago. However, over the past 2 years, I’ve felt great (being consistently on 50mg to manage mentally) in conjunction with Pilates and physio to manage my physical pain. And I know I’ve felt great because I did so many things that I thought would be impossible (i.e. travel around Europe, move out of home, change jobs, get a girlfriend, etc.)

Approximately 3 weeks ago, I decided to “test the waters” and see if I could taper off, because like most people I don’t want to “depend” on medication for my life. I decided to go 50mg followed by nothing, and alternate from there. I did this for approximately 16 days. Simply put, this was a terrible decision. The first give away was my stomach – it started cramping and bloating. I tried to push through with some Gaviscon, but with minimal effect. The next side effect was I “noticed” my back/rib pain much more – something that one of the GPs I visited called “hypervigilance” and then from there it went downhill – sweaty palms, hot rushes to my neck, chronic fatigue, jaw pain, etc.

Now I find myself typing this in my hotel room, rather than enjoying my holiday. I decided to go back to 50mg a day, and am just praying I can be back to “myself” in a few weeks. Next year, I’m going to try to taper off again, but this time will take it very slow (i.e. 50mg, 50mg, 25mg, 50mg, 50mg, 25mg) and do that for a few months. Then I’ll do 50mg, 25mg, 25mg, 50mg, 25mg, 25mg for another few months.

I hope this doesn’t sound too sadistic, but I’m somewhat glad that others are experiencing similar things – just makes me know that I’m not alone. Having said that, I pray for each and every one of you that you reach full recovery!

All the best,

Josh. 

• Posted

That's a bad way to taper. 25mg for a month followed 12 for a month(you can get 25mg pills). Then MAYBE every other day. I have recently quartered tabs for 6mg(kind of hard to do). After a month on 6 mg I am now going every other day. Doing pretty good (no brain zaps or crying spells). Doctors don't believe its withdrawal, but it is! In the past I went from 25 to 0 it was Horrible! Your symptoms plus zaps, dizziness, no sleep or appetite. You can do this, go slower ear healthy, force your self to exercise, some kind of meditation or prayer and eat flax seeds or oil (I believe flax has helped me tremendously this time around). Oh, and try Tim Collins anxiety podcast, lots of stuff about excepting anxiety and not fighting it-- something I was doing the opposite of.

God Bless!!!

• Posted

Hi.  I've been on Sertraline 50mg for 30 months.  I wasn't sure it was doing anything for me to be honest but after a fairly long time (a year+ I think) I realised that as a side effect of treatment for mild depression, Sertraline had reduced symptoms of my panic disorder and I realised I just wasn't reaching the previous peaks in panic.  I am, however, fed up with the lethargy, weight gain, the constant ear buzzing and lack of motivation for anything, all of which are depressing!  I decided that I needed to come off and have been researching and slow is very obviously the way to go.  I have reduced down to taking 25mg every day for the past 15 days.  All well but last night woke with stomach cramps and bloating.  Hope they reduce - they kept me off work today. I'll go another 2 weeks on 25g and then plan on halving again.  Hope this works.  This forum has been hugely useful!  So glad I found it.

• Posted

I'm coming off 25mg of setraline. I find the anxiety as a side effect.im taking 25 mg one day and none the following day.ive been advised to do this for a week to come off this medication.

• Posted

Hello. I wanted to add my experience to help everyone out here. I am 33 and have been on Zoloft at 100mg for 6.5 years now. I use it for anxiety. Zoloft has helped me greatly. But the other thing that has helped me even more is my change in outlook on life. I practice the Secret, study Buddhism, do yoga and meditate on a daily basis. I have a very healthy and positive outlook on life. I stay very fit and active. I make sure im outside everyday in the sun. As your body needs vitamin D for many things. I never gained any weight when taking Zoloft. Exercising everyday and eating healthy are very important. If a person has cravings for unhealthy things it's because their bodies are addicted to those things. Every food group should be taken in moderation.

My opinion on the best way to taper off Zoloft is doing it in small increments. But still taking it everyday. Taking it every other day to taper off I've found is not healthy or beneficial. Only do that at the very end when you are almost to 0. I'll use my dose as an example. At 100mg I go to 75mg for atleast 2-3 weeks. Then 50mg for 2-3 weeks. Then 25mg for 2-3weeks. Then 12.5mg for 2-3 weeks. Then 6mg for 2-3 weeks. Then 6mg every other day for 2-3 weeks. Then stop. Some people may need to stay at each increment for more than 3 weeks and that's okay. Do whatever is best for you and what your doctor also thinks is the best for you. Taking a longer time to taper off Zoloft is completely okay. It's better actually. The slower you taper off. The more easily you are allowing your body and mind to acclimate. Without any crazy symptoms or any withdrawal. But also, never try to come off Zoloft unless you are 110% sure you are in a good place in your life and in your heart and mind. And that you predict your life will be stable during the next 6 months. If you know you have life changing events coming up with work, house, moving, finances, events, weddings, pregnancy, etc during your weaning process. Then don't taper off yet, WAIT! It's completely okay to wait till a later time to taper off. Especially if you know you feel good while being on Zoloft. Now of course we can't predict what could happen within those 6 months. But I'm saying that if you aren't scheduling any life changing events and you feel 110% happy and healthy and you are wanting to wean off Zoloft. I say go for it. Not being dependent on a medication is a wonderful feeling. A few things that will help while tapering off Zoloft or once you are off Zoloft. Taking fish oil everyday. Taking valerian root. Adding a Himalayan salt lamp to your home and air purifying plants. Anything to get rid of all the negative energy and bad ju ju in the house. A final note before I'm done with my overly long post, which I apologize for. I just have so much knowledge to share. Is this....thinking positive thoughts will emit positive energy which will cause positive things to happen. Thinking negative thoughts will emit negative energy which will cause negative things to happen. So stay positive and do whatever you have to do to live a happy life. Remember you only get one life on this earth in that body. So why not make it a happy one. Thank you for reading.

My name is Jonathan. Anyone has any questions comments or concerns feel free to ask. I'd be happy to share.

Peace love and happiness to everyone.

• Posted

Hello,

I was wondering, how about if your down to 6mg and have been taking that for a couple of months, what would be the best way to wean off? My doctor said take it every other day for one week and stop but that seems too fast IMO...

• Posted

Hi Jonathan, that was very encouraging. I've started my process of weaning off sertraline. I learnt very quickly that spacing 1 or even 2 days between I was not coping well and have just began two days ago to take half instead.. I have noticed a lethargy in myself and have found myself become emotional than usual. But nothing too overwhelming I am experiencing the changes and adjustments. I agree with the positive change in life style.. however my biggest struggle is the weight.. I love being active and getting a good work out, I've always been fit and strong.as a kid even into my 20s but since being on sertraline for 1 year, I've struggled with my weight fluctuating since zoloft became my new friend, and my weight is one of my biggest triggers. What is your advice to maintaining weight whilst on zoloft..?

• Posted

I've been advised the same thing as in take setraline every other day to come off and stop it in a week. The other med I'm on is olanzapine. Does anyone have experience coming off this medication ? I'm on 10 mg a day of this.

• Posted

Hello Jonathan,

I ve been on zoloft for 4 years switch between 100mg-50mg depending on ups and downs through the years. For three months i was on a 25mg dose and i was feeling great and so decided to taper off even my doctor advices to continue with 25mg until our christmas’ appointment. I decided to go though October with a 1 day on 1 day off 25mg and for the whole month things went really well with a few minimal withrdawl symptoms like dizziness, electric shock brain feeling but over all went well. November i decides to move on amd wemto for the 2 days off 1 day 25 mg. It’s been 11 days now and that means i took zoloft only 3 times  now. I felt some withdrawl symptoms more intense than the previous phase and today I sort of experienced an axienty episode confusing it with withdrawl symptoms. I feel that the 2 day gap is big for my brain tonbe off setraline, however I don’t know if I should go back a step with the taper off or fight for this since the dosage i am on now it’s minimal.  I went through a six minths pschycotherapy a year ago and it really helped me at that phase to overcome issues i had. And now I am thinking what to do: Go back to 1 on 1 off 25mg? Stick to this last phase of taper off and fight for it, as I really want to get off setraline(plan to have my second child in 2018 if things go well)? Should i attend a pshycotherapy session to help me fight through it? Should i get some fish oil to help through?

What if I am not ready for tapering off after all? What if symptoms are not of tapering off but actuall symptoms anxiety and I really need to go back to dosage? What if I manage and finally cut off setraline, get pregnant but have a drawback phase during pregnancy?

Sorry for the long post, I ll appreciate your reply. 

• Posted

This is such good advice. You all should read this. I have exprenced this my self. I have been on this medication since 1995 !!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

This is such good advice. You all should read this. I have exprenced this my self. I have been on this medication since 1995 !!!!!!!!!
  • Posted

I am also trying to come off sertraline I have come off them in two weeks I don't feel tearful just find it really hard to sleep only having 3 hours a night. I think in time the side effects go away. I had no choice but to come off as apparently I shouldn't have been taking them whilst on amitriptylin which I take for headaches. Do you find you have memory problems

• Posted

Hi all 

I have been on sertraline 50 MGs for about 4 years now.   I decided to finally research what exactly it does after 4 years being on it....... I remember my first panic attack , the feeling of hopelessness was terrible and I thought medicine was the only option.  If I knew what I did now I never would have started taking sertraline.  Obviously different people have different cases and certain people may need it, but if you are questioning whether you should take it or not.....don't and try meditation or see a counselor.   These 4 years I have been on sertraline we're actually very good years.  I graduated from college, kept a girlfriend throughout, and got a good job.  I got drunk on numerous occasions while on sertraline which I wouldn't recommend because the anxiety the next day is just sky high.  Now I am in the process of getting off it, and to be honest I would always forget to take a pill for a day or two while I was trying to stay on it.  I would start to get a light headed feeling which in return would trigger some anxiety.  I saw my doctor today and we decided to try and end it.   I am just going to eat healthy, stay active and continue to live my life like I have for the past 4 years.  I do wonder what would of been different if I didn't ever get on it.  Well here goes my "battle" I will let you know how it goes 🙃 

Also does any know if caffeine affects it somehow ? The days I drink a lot of coffee I get lightheaded maybe just coming off the caffeine high or something 

• Posted

I started to take Zoloft at 25 mg for about once a day for a week.  The doc told me to take 1.5 pills for another week or so until I got to 50mg for two days.  Then I experienced the worst anxiety attack ever-hands were shaking, I was afraid to leave my apartment and would not go out.  I became anxious about every thought. Icouldnt focus, think. I texted the doctor and he asked me to take 25 mg twice a day with 5mg valium.  I texted him saying I would take only 25mg.  I personally decided to taper the medication and stop it within 2 weeks with the help of valium. I emailed, texted and phoned my therapist. She pro bably went away for the weekend but I decided to stop this horrible medication.,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.