coming off venlafaxine?

Posted , 115 users are following.

I have been taking venlafaxine for over 7 years and can admit that it saved my life a few times in the early stages. I have tried to come off them numerous times,during the past 3 years but have failed every time. The gp honestly dosent know how to help, cut down slowly, miss every other dose...I've tried everything. The side effects of withdrawal are horrendous...shaking, sweating, panic attacks, sickness, violent outbursts, suicidal thoughts. Ive read all the horror stories and truly feel sorry for anyone who has ever taken ven. I'm desperate to quit them but it seems impossible. Any advice would be much appreciated!

13 likes, 362 replies

362 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you for your post, I think its so important to share info like this. I have experienced most of the side effects you mention and they're horrific! It does scare me to do it again but it needs to be done, I want a normal life! Thanks for the advice, I'm going to see my gp and ask for some help with this. It's not fair to make people go cold turkey, when I last did a complete stop (no slow cut down) I ended up in psychiatric hospital :-/ never again! I'm nearly 30 and want to start thinking about a family, which is impossible with venlafaxine as its a big no no during pregnancy. I'll keep updating this post but may be a while before I do anything as I have some physical health problems to deal with first...there's no way I'm dealing with both at the same time! Like you, being physically ill tends to affect my mental state too! Thanks again :-)
  • Posted

HI,

I was on Venlafaxine for about 6 months. Was told 2 weeks ago I had to come off them.

They had been mimicking signs of heart problems, why didn't my GP tell me this was possible 6 months

ago? I thought I had developed cardiac problems, which was scary.

My GP didn't even tell me about withdrawal symptoms, just changed my tablets and I didn't know

till I picked up my repeat prescription. No note, phone call, anything to let me know what might happen.

Now after only 2 days, feeling dreadful. Flu like symptoms, brain zaps. But most worrying for me, I can't

seem to control my temper which is frightening.

My GP's surgery just seem to humour me about anything to do with Mental Health so I went to my

psychiatrists office and spoke to someone there.

Just a piece of advice for anyone who feels their GP doesn't take them seriously about this, My psychiatrist advised me to ask to see another doctor. Which I will, if I ever get off the sofa again, haha.

To all the people who have posted, thanks x (p.s I'm now on Sertraline, anyone else been given this as a replacement?)

• Posted

hi, sorry i posted same message twice. First time on a discussion forum, was a bit nervous. x
  • Posted

Oh my gosh that's awful! I don't think these doctors understand the damage caused by withdrawing tablets like that, it makes me wonder if any of them know what they're doing?! I was exactly the same as you when withdrawing, so angry and aggressive. I threw my dinner accross the room at the wall one evening for no reason. It's very hard to control but I guess it must get easier with time? Keep your chin up and be proud of yourself for coming so far :-)
    • Posted

Hi Tallullabelle,

I've reduced from 225mg to 150mg over the space of a month. I'll then reduce to 75mg when I feel ready.

I'm feeling more myself, but my irritability levels are through the roof. I'm glad tonknow others suffer with that as a withdrawal effect too. It's not nice at all, but neither is being completely zombified constantly.

• Posted

thanks so much for that. U keep ur chin up too x
  • Posted

Hi, i just want to say, thank goodness for these forums. I thought i was going mad until i read the above.

I have been on Venlafaxine for two yrs now and it has worked for my depression where other tablets never did .

I decided that it was time to come off the tablets as i have been feeling so well. Within 24hrs the dizziness started also i was being very clumsy and bumping into things. My lips started tingling and my face felt funny. Then i was shaking, crying screaming. . I never use bad language , but i totally shocked my husband, and my self, with the language and very violent out bursts. This was not me. I didn't realize that it was the

medication that was responsible for the above.

I am afraid i have just gone up to my pill pot and took a full dose again as i can't stand the withdrawal.

As i said earlier, thank goodness for these forums otherwise i think i might have murdered my husband for no reason.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your troubles Midge, I completely understand. I meant to post here to say I've managed to stop taking ven now thank god. It took me 6 weeks to completely stop and if I'm honest it was the worst 6 weeks of my life. Dizzy head, forgetfulness, sickness, tantrums, panic attacks...you name it, I had it! I went to work every day as I thought it would keep me focused. Most days I couldn't remember the 20 minute journey I had just driven. I made loads of mistakes at work but luckily my boss was lovely as I had explained what was happening. I've been off about 3 months now and feel totally normal (whatever normal is?!). I've said it was the worst 6 weeks of my life but its the best thing I've ever done and I'm so glad I stuck it out.

Don't think you need to conquer this on the first attempt. I tried many times before but simply wasn't ready mentally. The most important thing is to stay safe & keep loved ones informed of how your feeling. Always discuss with your doctor before changing anything too...very important.

These tablets saved my life (and sanity) on occasions, I just wish they were easier to quit when you feel better!

• Posted

Hello there,

These forums really helped me the other day when I was deciding what I wanted to do with my medication.

I have been on a very high dose of 300mg for 2 years and have decided enough is enough. Dont get me wrong they have made me able to do normal things like leaving the house going to work and socializing But I am sick of having a dull brain and sweating all the time. I went to the doctors yesterday and he said I have the option of going off them slowly bringing my dose down in 8 stages or going cold turkey.

Dont ask me why but I have decided to go with the 2nd option of cold turkey. I just want to do it as soon as possible and get on with my life I'm going to start from tomorrow and maybe post how I am feeling. I have missed them for a weekend before and it was horrible so I'm aware of what I'm in for ha ha

Wish me luck :-)

• Posted

Hey - done that - been CT for 1 mth.

You need a large swimming pool for all the stuff you chuck away in anger :P

Seriously, it feels like walking out of the water at the beach and hearing everything (life) so clearly.

Also while I was on VF, I knew I neded to do stuff, but "eeh whenever". now I'm more energetic and getting some stuff done. I thin the VF stops the *first reaction* ie grab knife, slash wrists. So in some respects it does save lives, but it definitly reduces the whole quality of the rest of the 99% of your time.

I don't want to get Weird, but I have two things on my wall at home and at work.

Acceptance

~~~~~~~~~~

THIS IS HOW IT IS!

NOT how it

- was

- might have been

- should have ben

NOT how

- I wanted it to be

- hoped it would be

- planned it to be

I ACCEPT HOW IT IS

- NOW I will get on with my life in a positive way

- What can I learn from this?

Thanks to LifeLine in Australia for this one.

If you are depressed, you are living in the *past*

If you are anxious you are living in the *future*

If you are at peace you are living in the *present*

(Lao Tzu)

• Posted

Hi ,

i love the 2 things at the bottom of your reply earlier. Good luck in your recovery - like you day, Ven did the trick early on but then after a while I was just...functioning I guess. 

Feeling much better after 2 weeks off them completely, still getting a few brain zaps and some nausea but hopefully that will end soon too.

xx

• Posted

As long as you have somewhere to go for escape, I think its not too bad. I watch K-pop shows cause they are my type of humour, are genuine laughter type funny.

I've still got the movement probs after a month, (think Mr Bean's eyes in skit where he follows the other train.) but I'm getting used to it.

Introverted thinking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VF stopped imediate reactions. I am an anxious person cause I Tortoise at any incident. ie pull head in, think about stuff and then come back with a detailed response. VF lenghtened this.

Prob is that the other person wanted a direct confrontation and believes they 'won' already cause theyve had their say and are not interested in my talk afterward.. So I always feel a loser.. That is my type of Depression.

For those who are interested in management for Introverts and thier good sides have a look at below, "Introverts and word use between groups" Marla Gottschalk

• Posted

hiya Seany cheesygrin

to be honest seany i cant understand why your doctor suggested going cold turkey when you've been on such a high dose for so long, i dont want to discourage you from stopping the ven but i think you'll have to taper it in the end anyway, why do it the hard way when you can do it the easier way, note i didn't say the easy way rolleyes

anyhoos good luck, keep us posted.

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Posted

Hi Ken I don't think I explained myself properly my doctor gave me options as I have tried to do this before and he understands I know my body better. I did once try to do it the slow way I dont it over around 6 months an I went down as slow as

Possible but I till got the horrible side effects anyways. the brain fizzles are the worst and I find when you get on your final low dose you get them for allot longer. Even when you think they are gone because the drug is still in your system they till come and its at the most horrible times giving you a massive shock. A combination of brain fizzes and zappy things which when I try to describe these to people I always sound mental ha ha

I have allot of support from my wife which gives me the ability to do this and I quit my job a couple of months ago because of the excess sweating ruining my life. I wouldn't recommend the cold Turkey way to someone that doesn't have support as it is a lonely time having tried the cold Turkey way before and only lasting 2 weeks .

I will try and post in a week Ken as I will most likely be feeling sorry for myself in bed for the next few days :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.