Coming off venlafaxine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All, I've been on venlafaxine for a year after being on cetalopram for anxiety previous I was then prescribed this.. Unbeknown to me it's one of the worst medications to come off and you suffer awful withdrawal I started on 75.5mg to 35mg and taking every other day.. I suffered the worse withdrawal brain zaps insomnia nausea chronic anxiety tearful ness.. And I'm just not with it I'm wondering if anyone else has these problems when coming off and how they managed. Also I'm taking vitamins high in omega 3 and b12 and eating healthy to help with symptoms.. As I want off this tablet and am looking for natural resources

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya. The withdrawal is awful, isn't it? Good news is that it doesn't last. If you can tolerate it, stick at it. If not, maybe talk to your doctor about having Fluoxetine. I'd heard from others that it helped them, and it has worked for me, too. It's a much easier medicine to come off if that's what your aim is.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply.. I did go to the doctor and the advice was to continue with the venlafaxine I came out of there so upset as I just wanted advise on how to deal with the withdrawal.. I'm still solidering on I'm taking vitamins and eating lots of fish and veg I'm getting muzzy heads and feeling tired and very emotional

• Posted

I take magnasium too help sleep it's not miracle one night thing but it is helping my insomnia I've been taking it around 10 days n slept last 2 a lot better than previous 3 months of not sleeping xx

• Posted

Hi. Did you tapper if or cold turkey? I need off these
    • Posted

The strange thing for me now is I've had insomnia I'm now feeling more tired and wanting to sleep more so gone from one extreme to the next and not to mention my head feels like a fish bowel with fish swimming around...

• Posted

I tapered for a month then i went to my Dr who was no help you definitely need to see someone who actually understands the medication.. I then decided it was time myself and I'm now 6days med free it has not been easy I'd say defo taper first and use vitamins and exercise just keep busy..

• Posted

sleeping more now and feeling tired, is a sign you are relaxing, ie your anxiety is coming down. when anxiety is high, and you cant sleep. anxiety and insomnia really take it out of you, and once you relax, you feel even more tired. if the insomnia is still bad at night, and you feel tired during the day, its because you worry more when going to bed, as there are no distractions. during the day you havr more distractions, you worry less, so you relax and feel tired, as you were too anxious in bed, and didnt get the sleep you needed. if you are sleeping better at night now, then you are getting over withdrawal, as your anxiety is lower.
    • Posted

Thankyou for reply.. yes I think while tapering off for a month my anxiety was higher and then there was the nausea, upset tummy, headaches insomnia.. The list goes on.,this is now my 6th ven free day.. and I'm still taking vitamins and eating healthy I do still feel on edge but not as bad the nausea has stopped I'm still getting light headed but I'm just very tired so I agree I think I'm coming down from all the hightend anxiety it was so bad I had shakes plus more withdrawal symptoms and now it's making me tired like you say plus I'm busy at work.. But I'm going to keep this up it will be a hole week tomorrow ven free and I have to say I feel so proud of myself and how far I've come and this group is also helping my progress so thanks All

• Posted

You are so spot on!   I want off this devil drug myself.   I only started on it 8 weeks ago & hate it so much.   I wish I had researched it more before I took the first dose.  

My dr had me doing a Prozac bridge  but I haven’t even started going down in Effexor dose yet. I’m putting it off because of the horror stories I’ve read. 

I am on 75 XR right now & suppose to go to 37.5 soon.  Trying to let the Prozac settle in me first.  

I’ve read that if you can take s single 20 mg Prozac during withdrawal it has been shown to help.    Benadryl twice a day for brain zaps helps too from what I’ve read.   Mega doses of omega 3/fish oil.   I’ve also read NO SUGAR whatsoever.   

I commend you for at least getting farther than I have at this point.  Please let us know how you are doing.     Also vitamin D vitamin E & magnesium has helped others.  Hang in there.   It’s temporary even though it feels like you are in hell right now.  Also-I could not imagine going thru this without a benzo such as Xanax or Klonopin.  

Hugs, Barb

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your reply it's so reassuring to know I'm not alone.. The daily vitamins are helping and eating healthy plenty of fish and fruit also doing zumba indoors to help take mind off things helps and most importantly Talking to my nearest and dearest so they understand why I'm out of sorts .. As working and being a parent plus coming off this awful venlafaxine can take its tole I still am experiencing dizzy heads and like I'm not with it and certain lights I can't stand I'm having sensitivity too.. I wish I never took this medication but when you feel rubbish and a doctor offers you a way out of that hole you kind of take it.., But I want to use natural herbal resources now rather then some pill that's just masking the problem I comend you and everyone on here coming off we can do this Big hugs

• Posted

Same here!  I also want to get off all meds & go the natural herbal route too!  

• Posted

lol Hi Karen!    That's great to hear!   There is nothing like a good nights sleep.   I take 200 mg every night.   xx

• Posted

Just checking to see how you are doing?!   Has the withdrawal gotten better?   
    • Posted

Hi withdrawals are better I'm very tired and emotional and then I get easily annoyed other then that I feel I'm doing well considering.. I'm just keeping busy I'm never sat down for long I work and have two dogs I go for long walks with I think being distracted helps

• Posted

I love going for long walks with my dog it's so good too get out in the fresh air n helps you sleep at night xx

• Posted

Have you missed any work at all?   Congrats to you for sticking it out!!!!
    • Posted

No I've been going to work as normal apart from when my body came out in a rash which could of been due to meds.. I'm finding being at work keeps my mind off things plus I have two dogs and walking them also helps.. I'm constantly distracted

• Posted

Yes and petting them is a relaxing thing for both us and them my dogs know when somethings wrong and don't leave my side.. Keep going it does get easier

• Posted

Yep about two weeks or more now its a wonderful feeling... Ven free am looking for herbal remedies soon just to help with the anxiety and keep my stress levels down...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.