Coming off venlafaxine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All, I've been on venlafaxine for a year after being on cetalopram for anxiety previous I was then prescribed this.. Unbeknown to me it's one of the worst medications to come off and you suffer awful withdrawal I started on 75.5mg to 35mg and taking every other day.. I suffered the worse withdrawal brain zaps insomnia nausea chronic anxiety tearful ness.. And I'm just not with it I'm wondering if anyone else has these problems when coming off and how they managed. Also I'm taking vitamins high in omega 3 and b12 and eating healthy to help with symptoms.. As I want off this tablet and am looking for natural resources

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello, you may need to reduce more slowly. if i was on 75mg, and wanted to come off, id start by going down by 18.75mg increments, and stay on each reduced dose for 3 or 4 weeks, until side effects stabalised. it would take a few months, but would give you less side effects, and reduced chance of getting in a worse state. for the last 9 months, ive more or less lived on a daily diet of makeral or salmon, chicken, fruit, veg, and different nuts. occassionally might have a roast dinner, and a healthy shop sandwich. much fitter than before, but hasnt made a noticeable difference as to how i feel. if i wasnt on an anti depressant, i would be looking to use 5htp. i cant though, as its dangerous while taking an anti depressant. if you are only taking 37.5mg of ven every other day, perhaps you can take 5htp on your off day, as you are taking such a low dose of ven anyway. hope some of this helps.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for all of your advice I am definitely eating better less high in satuated fats and more higher in omega 3 and I'm taking b12 and vitamin D I still have a long way to go but for me a natural way is the best way.. And certain foods I do believe can help with reducing anxiety and reduce a low mood I'm doing plenty of research which I wished I'd done before I started venlafaxine

• Posted

Just be careful about that Benzo use for the anxiety in withdrawal! It takes just two weeks of consistent use to become hooked, and then you have more withdrawal hell coming off of them!
  • Posted

Hi there. Hang in there! I'm coming off ven too! Done 225 to 150 then down to 75 and now at 37.5. Yes it is awful the withdrawal. I'm eating lots of greens, just started b complex and going to take a magnesium as well. We'll all get through it and off so don't give up anyone. Will keep posting Jackie xxx

• Posted

Thankyou so much it is hard but everyday I'm saying to myself it's a day I'm venlafaxine free smile I've tapered for a month and now with no meds I feel like I've been through hell and back.. but I refuse to give up and go back on them there's no way a healthy diet and vitamins and excersize are definitely helping even if I can't get to a gym I try to work out at home I hope this may help anyone else coming off venlafaxine give it a try

• Posted

That's brilliant your doing your research! I can't wait to be free of the ven as it was wrongly prescribed as I was then diagnosed hypomanic in Bipolar 2! Psych said I shouldn't have received them and been put on a mood stabilizer instead! Not nice to come off but Hopefully we'll soon both be free of it. Xx

• Posted

Yes we will be free of it this time last year I was suffering with chronic anxiety and occational depression I was then diagnosed with minute bpd and prescribed ven having previously been on citalopram after a year I've decided I want to be pil free and try natural resources.. And eat healthy and excersize to keep the serotonin levels good so I started taper and now it's 6days pill free I'm starting to get snappy but I know e its the affects of withdrawal.. Its a hard road but I intend on winning 😊

• Posted

Hello!   How is it going so far?   Hoping you are over the worst of the withdrawal and that you are winning this battle!
    • Posted

Hello so I'm still med free.. I'm doing well I just feel a tad annoyed today especially at work feeling paranoid like everyone's being off etc but I keep telling myself it's probably to do with my meds I also feel agressive but not showing it.. I'm still taking the vitamins am experiencing bloating so making sure what ingredients are in them.. Also I'm eating healthy and sleeping well am having odd dreams though and have been grinding my teeth.. Can't wait until my brain goes back to normal that's for sure.. I hope you are doing good 😊

• Posted

Yay!!!  SO proud of you!   Haven't started my wean yet off of ven 75 but it will be next week I think or shortly there after.  (trying to plan it around events I have going on)  I was a little disappointed with my psych Dr yesterday.  She wants me to continue for 3 more weeks on prozac & 75 ven.   Why???  I'm not sure.   The last thing I want to do is delay the inevitable even longer.  I'm still dealing with undesirable side effects 9 weeks on ven.  I've had enough.   Going back to prozac & then will wean off of that.   Keep it going!!  You're doing great.   Have you had to take any time off from work?

• Posted

No I've been going to work as normal I did have one colleague ask if I was OK i didn't seem myself haha felt like saying.. You get in my head and see how you'd feel and yes I was advised same as you stay on for a few more weeks but no I tapered and done it my way it was awful but I've come so far I'm just still dealing with the tiredness though and emotional bouts and then anger.. Other then that I'm far better if I can do it anyone can don't let ven be in control.. Ps make sure thoughs around you know what your going through and understand and have lots of patients as that's key

• Posted

No I've been going to work as normal I did have one colleague ask if I was OK i didn't seem myself haha felt like saying.. You get in my head and see how you'd feel and yes I was advised same as you stay on for a few more weeks but no I tapered and done it my way it was awful but I've come so far I'm just still dealing with the tiredness though and emotional bouts and then anger.. Other then that I'm far better if I can do it anyone can don't let ven be in control.. Ps make sure thoughs around you know what your going through and understand and have lots of patients as that's key

• Posted

Ok great!  Good to know.  Thanks for the update.  So happy for you!  smile
    • Posted

Hi. So sorry - I didn't realise you'd messaged me. I dropped ven from 150mg to 75mg and stayed on it for 3wks. Then on 75mg for 2wks til dropping to 37.5mg I am going to take it for 2wks and then hopefully get down to half of that for a week and then off. Not feeling too bad. A little bit anxious but have received a benzo to take if required. Funnily enough just knowing I have it in the cupboard helps. Only taking half the tablet once or twice a day. Hope that helps and sincere apologies for only getting my reply to you now. Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.