Having bilateral hip replacement in 4 days time

Posted , 16 users are following.

Really scared! Had RA since 2 years old - now 49. Mobility extremely limited & painful. Worried about op, pain when coming round, recovery. Being able to get off the sofa, sleeping on back, doing stairs, basically everything. Any advice would be very welcome.

2 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

lol - I am 12 months too late in replying to your posting !
  • Posted

I found your post while looking for information on having a bilateral hip replacement.  I am planning on having this done myself this December.  Waiting to bulid up sick time at work and for a Winter break so my husband will be off from work.  How did your surgery go?  Do you have any suggestions about preparing for this?  Also how was recovery?  I hope you are doing great now.  
    • Posted

Hi Rita - Im in for a Bi-Lateral Monday Monday AM. terrified but resigned to it. 
    • Posted

Best wishes on your surgery. I will look forward to hearing about your progress. The idea is scary but freeing. I'm hoping to be able to do the things I have I have missed these last few years. Going for a walk without being in excruciating pain. Enjoying life again sounds wonderful so I am really hoping it will be that way.
    • Posted

Hi Rita,

How did it go for you?  I'm having BTHR first week of Oct.  Seems it is not so common.

• Posted

Hi Pat

I will say I don't regret having both hips replaced at the same time. I would recommend, that if your insurance allows, go to rehab for some therapy after the surgery. If I had gone there after my first surgery I might not have broken my femur and needed the second surgery. The advantage of rehab is that every thing there would set up for the limitations of post surgery. I thought I had set up things at home for my needs but there were still things that weren't ideal and while my husband is a very good husband, he's not a good nurse. Make sure you eat lots of protein and fiber. Keep your pain under control. Good luck. Hugs and best wishes. Keep me posted.

• Posted

Rita, I think u have the right attitude. It is a blessing. I had both hips done at the same time and yes, it is fabulous. Only three months later, I walk a mile a day swim,clean the house, cook and have even danced. Stay positive and it will work out. You need to work hard at your exercises and remain positive.
    • Posted

I kind of disagree with you Rita. Rehab starts the second day. Physio show u the exercises in bed and it is important to move. The first 6 weeks are crucial to a supple body. Everyday at home the exercises must go on.after six weeks, rehab. I did not need meds. I had no pain. I am so happy I had a bilateral because both hips were bone on bone. My options were limited. Be positive and do your exercises.
  • Posted

I am sorry you need the op and that you have days to worry about it. I had mine as the result of an accident/fracture and had no notice at all. I was only in hospital for two days after the op and had nothing at all prepared at home. I found the most important thing was getting non-slip mats down in the bathroom and kitchen. I camped out on the sofa and the coffee table became my command station for a few weeks. Kept everything I needed on it. Don't have a panic. I am terrified of anaesthetic, but I sailed through this op. I am 4 1/2 months post-op now, still have some pain (due to the fracture, not the op) and limping less and less every day. No point in being scared. If you need it, you need it. 
    • Posted

Belle, sorry you seem to have had a rough time. Like I mentioned before lots of exercises, sleep in your bed. There is nothing really necessary apart from having a raised living room chair, remove all mats and carpets to prevent tripping. Put handles in the shower and take your shower. All those that have the anterior approach have so little restrictions and they can get around much better..before heading for surgery, people should do their homework. Check out the different types of surgery.
  • Posted

Hi Helen - hope you are fully recovered - couldnt tell when you gad it done. Im in on Monday for Bi-Lateral and of course terrified!

Reading your progress has helped but it seems I have at least a couple of tough old weeks ahead.

• Posted

Hi

It's probably been 2 years since posting I was having bi-lateral hip replacement. It was hard recovering & building up everything. It has been life changing and the best thing ever as has given me my life back & allowed us to enjoy things again e.g Going out walking with my husband like a normal couple & keep pace with him & not being in constant pain. It is scary but at least you only have one recovery, no more pain & you can start living life again to the full. I hope this goes in some way to make you feel a little better.

• Posted

It went super well. You need a positive attitude and tell yourself that it can only get better. The day after surgery I started exercises with physio. Make sure that you get exercises before you go. Being inactive is no good. Instead on lying down when it hursts get up and do some kind of exercise. After one week I started retaking short walks with the walker. I think the worst is not being able to sleep on my sides for too long. Lots of tossing and turning. In and out of bed, shower on my own, no toilet extension..just feeling so much better.
    • Posted

Please, do not be terrified. That is so negative. Go feeling positive and know that it will be better after. I had it done in early May. All is well and I feel normal and walk normally, no limping. Don't listen to all these negative people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.