Having bilateral hip replacement in 4 days time

Posted , 16 users are following.

Really scared! Had RA since 2 years old - now 49. Mobility extremely limited & painful. Worried about op, pain when coming round, recovery. Being able to get off the sofa, sleeping on back, doing stairs, basically everything. Any advice would be very welcome.

2 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

Glad you made it home safe. I am surprised they did both hips at the same time, my consultant said he would do one at a time and I had six months between each, it must be hard for you having both done at the same time. Its good that you are having a nap as it takes a while for the anaesthetic to get out of the system and also anything you do is quite exhausting. Keep going, it sounds as if you are doing really well biggrin

• Posted

Hi Sue

My hips had been bad for so long because of the RA that the consultant said it was best to do both because while trying to recover the other one would be no use at all. I know it's not the norm but I suppose it's one recovery time & of course everything is doubly hard & doubly long.

Are you still wearing the stockings? Would love to get rid of them. What's the recommended duration before these can be discarded?

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I think, and please don't quote me on this that they like you to wear the stockings for several weeks (I don't think I did though as they were too tight).

I had my hips done in Feb and Sept 2011, didn't quite go to plan and am still having problems.

I hope you continue to do well and get some quality of life back, it looks as if you are heading in the right direction and doing really well.

• Posted

Hi Helen...so glad you've made it home OK....walking at first will be strange but soon improves...I only had my right done and much better now after nearly 4 weeks...the toilet seat and frame will really help...don't be afraid to take a nap anytime you can..everything you do is exhausting as the body uses its energy for repair and recovery!

I haven't had stockings at all but self inject every day with Fragmin....sounds awful but is fine...only 2 more left!!

How are you sleeping on your back....I've tried different things but a cushion under the knees seems to help best...what painkillers are you taking?

• Posted

Hi Chris

I am taking Tramidol painkillers & Panadol if need a bit more. I think in hospital the injection they gave must have been the Fragmin but also wearing stockingss. They are starting to annoy me. Didn't get any injections to take home. Obviously don't want to undo all the good work by taking them off too soon but when would be feasible? The pillow under the knees was a brilliant tip & helps. Who knew how difficult it would be to sleep on your back. I also got these little jelly heel cups to help alleviate some soreness. You just get comfy then something else aches. I still can't get up or into bed without assistance as cant control moving legs sideways yet & have to keep waking husband in night to help with loo break or to turn a bit.

Did a lot if exercise yesterday & need to improve moving legs on my own to try & get out of bed. I don't have much lift of the leg yet either from standing position so need to work on that. Because I had not been using the muscles in hips ( movement was from knee ) I am having to teach the muscles as well to remember.

What was your actual op date as you seem to be doing brilliantly?

• Posted

Hi Helen my op wa 10th Feb so 4 weeks tomorrow...must say it's flown by!! Glad the cushion under the knees helps..another thing I tried on my op leg which I couldn't move on and off the bed without help was to loop a scarf around my ankle and use my grabber stick thing to raise my leg myself...give it a try round both ankles but very slowly!!

I'm sleeping much better but backache kicks in around 6am....started taking some painkillers then and sleep another few hours....

Its true what you say about something different aching ....I think different bits heal at different rates and what was OK yesterday suddenly aches today...at the moment my buttock..which I presume is where the new ball bit of the joint is...is aching and I have to do some clenching to ease it...my scar is now almost healed with no scabby bits so just started using the Bio Oil..very soothing...

In case you haven't though about it...I bought a couple of those insulated mugs...one for coffee and one for cold drinks...means you always have a drink to hand no matter how long it takes. Saves asking partner so often!! I also have a tray with essential bits and pieces that follows me round from bed to chair!!

Anything else just ask...I have at least another 7 weeks off work !!

• Posted

Hi Helen, I had both done in December. Big probs sleeping on back, used pillow under legs but after 8 wks

gradually went onto side with a big pillow between my legs, what a luxury ! Walking with crutches from

discharge for 3 months but getting better each day, short walks to start with then building up to 20-30mins

twice three times a day.

Takes time but force yourself

• Posted

Hi

Sorry it's been a few days since posting. Getting used to things at home. Cannot find a comfortable position wherever I sit or how many pillows I use I am sore. Had a couple of days of being sick & not sure if this was due to a build up of painkillers or overdoing it. Went to physio today so had another chance to practice getting in/out of car. Needed assistance in getting my legs in at final point. They had me do some walking using crutches today which I bought home & will practice with. Incredible to believe just 2 weeks ago I was still in theatre.

• Posted

Posted before finishing. Going to remove dressings tomorrow, is it too soon to try to apply the bio oil?

Have also got thermal mug which makes life easier & have all my little bits to hand wherever I am. Sleeping on back is hard as you all know & look forward to being able to turn on side. Really want to take the TED's off. Going to change them tomorrow & hope they go back on but if not ...

I hope everyone has had a good day today my highlight being able to use the crutches a bit today.

• Posted

Hi Helen....crutches! wooohooo!!

Sounds like theres a bit of progress so just keep thinking about where you were 2 weeks ago!

This is my 4th week and just had a session in the hydrotherapy pool....lovely and warm and able to actually walk unsupported on both legs!!

A bit stiff and sore now but more movement than I had for months!

Sitting for too long is a bit uncomfortable on one cheek ...must be worse with 2 operated ones! I bought a memory foam cushion which is better than the normal ones.....must say I've got used to sleeping on my back with a pillow under the knees...Nytol helped at first too...

I wouldn't use the Bio Oil until the scabs have more or less gone...I had some small dressings on for a week after all the staples came out and I used the oil around the edges....all completely dried now ...really pleased with the scar and hopefully the Bio Oil will help soften the surrounding flesh which is a bit hard.Did uou have stitches or staples??

..I've finished my 28 days of injections which I presume were instead of the dreaded stockings...not sure which is worse!!

Keep posting your progress...its good to know where we're all up to!!

• Posted

Had my 6 week check today which went well. I still have a way to go with some if the movements as have to build all my muscles up which had not been used for years. Bearing this in mind & the fact of having bothe hips done I am pleased with the progress. I have been referred for hydro alongside physio. I have walked for 40 mins & cannot remember when I last did this. Got the OK to take off my 'Teds' which my husband cut off while I looked on with glee. Need a lot of E45 now. Also said I could try sleeping on my side (although I don't have a good side) & looking forward to trying but with some apprehension. Advised I could possibly have a go at driving in about 3 weeks. Thanks for all your support & tips so far.
  • Posted

The anticipation is the worst. Take your pain meds. Don't try to cut them down, you don't get medals for being stoic. Sleep whenever you can. Be close to a toilet. Accept all help whether you need it or not. Your shoulders will ache from moving up the bed. Have a good cry when you need to. But it does get better. BY the time summer is with us, you will feel SO much better.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

i am in Florida, US. I could not tell when your surgery was, but - I hope you are feeling better. I am 50 yo and will be having bilateral hip replacement on June 6, 2014. I am glad I found this forum as it has been difficult to  find information on the bilateral hip surgery. I will be having the surgery anterior. I am curious to know (from you and others) what type of surgery you had- posterior, lateral or anterior. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Christina

I had posterior hip replacement due to the fact my hips had fused in the joint which had collapsed. I had also lost a lot of muscle use which I now have to build up. I am now 9 weeks post op. If you have posterior  be prepared for lots of tenderness (I still have this now) because when you are sitting you are sitting on the operated area. Although I am still having physio & hydrotherapy to improve mobility it has given me a new lease on life & have a new outlook for the future. Having bi-lateral means you have an added factor at first of finding your balance point & don't forget you only have to go through recovery once. I hope this helps & should you need any more tips don't hesitate to ask as everyone was so helpful to me on this forum & I was so lucky to have found the forum. Stay in touch :-)

• Posted

Hi Helen I am 53 and 12 days post bilat hip replacement. i too was worried about sleeping on my back , i am managing 3 hour blocks of sleep at a time. watch out for pressure sores -pop a pillow under your calves to take pressure off your heels. keep up with the painrelief - i am on paracetemol and 3 tramadol per 24 hours.Stairs are fine -just listen to physios advice. walking is slow but steady. You will feel immediate benefit . goodl uck !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.