I had a knee replacement op 10 days ago.

Posted , 143 users are following.

I have a continual, deep pain/ache in practically the whole of my leg. I use ice on it (frozen peas!) a great deal of the time and I take my pain killers. At night I cannot sleep because there is nowhere New I can put my leg which does not become become equally painful within a few seconds. Anybody else have this problem? Also, I had to stop taking Diclofenac a few days before the op. How long before I can take it again?

15 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Doc told me stockings are worn for four weeks, but can take off at bedtime.  However sometimes take I off during day to rest from swelling because dig into legs.  Put back on again later.

im 3-1/2 weeks po and am having swelling issues.  My husband thinks I am getting up too much.   How much are you getting up during day?

• Posted

Hi, I was told that about the stockings but they drove me crazy, they dug into the back of my knee and made it feel worse but I wore them as much as I could tolerate, then I replaces them with a tubigrip, not as effective but still helped. I felt as though I was still doing the right thing. As far as being on the leg, I am on it pretty well most of the time but I am nearly 8 weeks post op. and my situation at home is such that I have to be. ( I have a disbaled husband) I still have some swelling and tightness but the physio said to keep massaging it. I try to say off as much as I can. though but in the beginning I was off it fairly frequently. It will get better smile
  • Posted

Hi I had my total knee replacement 6 months ago I was 48 at the time, and I recognise all the pain you have expressed, it gets better I swear, but its hard work do as your Physio tells, you take your meds reg. I swim a mile 3-4 times a week now all breath stroke and it takes me 40 min. I can bend my knee 115 degrees. I have worked so hard but now I have pain free days, please stick at it. I found hot baths helped big time when my wound was sealed.
  • Posted

Hi I had a TKR 3 weeks ago and I have been worried that I am not bending the knee enough.....reading all the comments I think I am being a little impatient but I was frightened by people saying how important getting physio immediately after op to get good movement. The NHS physio has not kicked in yet so I start private physio tomorrow in the hope they will push me further than I am pushing myself!
    • Posted

very early days yet lyn , your physio you can do at home any time you want to ,i found this was better for me , 4 and a half months later and im going in for the second knee on the 4th august and even now im finding improvement with the first one , the consultant told me things can take up to 2 years to feel full benifit . i have found that swimming really has helped me ,so its worth a try x

• Posted

thats how i feel lynn, i am only 9 days post op. im sooooo tired & don't really do enough. just need some sleep, but nothing. chat soon lovely, julie xx
  • Posted

I had a knee replacement 2 weeks ago, and know exactly what you mean. I wondered how you are doing now,

Pam 

• Posted

I had a knee replacement 3 months ago on Sept 2 and my ankle and foot swell up every day I don't sleep well and I have shooting pains that go from my ankle to my knee this is so discouraging 
  • Posted

Had my staples out today no problem  good luck xx
    • Posted

rrrrrr, hope your ok alan. i am going tomorrow to get my dressing changed, but it could be to have staples out, all 42 of them, im bloody dreading it . chat soon hun xx
  • Posted

I had my clips out to day no problem good luck with yours
  • Posted

Hello. It's Ann again. I had a second TKR a month ago. This time I wasn't expecting miracles in 10 days! This op was much more painful to start with but the pain has seemed to reduce more quickly. It's been difficult to bend as much as soon as the other one. Also I was on only one crutch around the house and went out with only one crutch for the first time yesterday, but was probably going a bit too fast across the road and got a sudden pain down the side of my knee which I still have. I'm hoping it will go soon and I'm back on two crutches! 

I've found that using frozen peas on my knee a lot has helped with pain. I think I used them far more this time. 

The first knee is pretty good now. It still gets warm and doesn't like being twisted, but the swelling has gone down and I can't say it's painful any more. 

How long have you all been using crutches for? I can't remember how long I used them for last time. 

I wear my stockings during the day but take them off at night. I reckon that as I take aspirin and my legs are up at night I'm probably ok. 

Look forward to reading your emails. 

Ann

• Posted

Hello Ann, glad that the second replacement seems to be going well. Did you or anyone have to inject their stomach with Heperin very day? I had a partial knee replacement 10 days ago and had my staples out this morning, painfull! My main problem is dreadful restless leg syndrome which I have always suffered from but since the op has got very bad. Even a sleeping pill doesn't knock me out. Have been managing pain with paracetamol but am trying co coda ok later. Anyone else get severe restless legs?
    • Posted

Yes, I had to inject , I did start off. With tablets but. I had a bad reaction and changed to injections for a month after the op.  I also get restless legs . Codeine seems to help a bit , but would love to find something that really works 
    • Posted

Do you know Pam, I don't think anything does, I've tried loads of things over the years. Are you finding it worse since your op? Sitting in a chair isn't so bad but as soon as I'm horizontal it starts! My daughter gets a little relief by rubbing her feet on a rough surface and she also anoints her legs with Olbas Oil! Since my op I have been going to bed with ice packs on my feet! Not a pretty sight! I have taken Zolpidem sleeping pills for a few years as I really don't want strong drugs, they don't work all the time though and at the moment not at all. I often get up and have tea and toast, or cereal, and this seems to give the brain something else to think about and forget to send the twitchy impulses to the muscles! Having said all this, absolutely NOTHING is working for me at the mo..Sleep deprivation is awful, I feel for you.x
    • Posted

Strange thing is that I am more comfortable in bed... Sitting even in a recliner during the evenings, I just cannot sit till or get comfortable..I am wondering if the stockings helped,  because it wasn't too bad to start with .as much as I hated them , I may have to experiment ... I hope you soon feel better 
    • Posted

Odd isn't it? It's such a strange condition. My daughter has just said that she sometimes gets relief from putting on a pair of snug fitting socks, so maybe the white stockings worked for you. I have five more weeks of wearing them, at least we're not in the middle of a heat wave! Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.