I had a knee replacement op 10 days ago.

Posted , 143 users are following.

I have a continual, deep pain/ache in practically the whole of my leg. I use ice on it (frozen peas!) a great deal of the time and I take my pain killers. At night I cannot sleep because there is nowhere New I can put my leg which does not become become equally painful within a few seconds. Anybody else have this problem? Also, I had to stop taking Diclofenac a few days before the op. How long before I can take it again?

15 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hiya ann, just glanced on this page, glad i did, so joined. i am exaxtly the same, i despair at my excrutiating pain. only had my new knee 7 days, wish i had never had it done. i am on my own all day, all night. my son works sometimes 14 hrs, my daughter is on maternity leave with a 7 month baby & i feel so alone & im soooooo upset. i would go to the ends of the earth fot them. i bought microwave meals, so my son does me one of those, then hes moaning he runs around after me all the time he is in the house.  i came out of hospital ladt saturday, picked up by my son, dropped off, that was that.. the pain is driving me to distraction. im sooooooo annoyed with my son/daughter, because i was sure i would be looked after, or am i upset because of pain, & lack of sleep. any ideas people??? thanx a lot. julie xx
    • Posted

Hello Nanny , your page made me smile, because I know exactly where you are . You need to do lots of using it really helps the pain and the swelling .. I moaned at my husband for nit doing this and that and felt extremely sorry fir myself . Most of the bad pain is gone just after 2 weeks . I am 9 weeks now , and yesterday I was really low . I don't know why this happens ..it is a shame  you are alone so long as that cannot help . I gave th either. Knee to get done and at first Said never again , but I will get. It done. You will feel better soon but it is a long job xxx
    • Posted

Hello O1nanny. 

Sounds as if your family has been really taking you for granted! If I were you I'd ask them for as little help as possible now, but make sure I'm not as easily available when they want you to do something for them! Some of  the way you feel is bound to be because of lack of sleep and pain, of course, as you said. But people don't realise that this operation is a big, painful one, and it takes a while to recover. 

Anyway, that's not what this is about! After 10 days with my first knee I was feeling pretty fed up and worried about the pain/my progress etc, but it gradually got better and now, having had my second knee done about 6 weeks ago, I'm pleased that I had them both done. It DOES get better. Use ice (frozen peas) a lot. It helps more than you'd think. Good luck. 

• Posted

your so right ann. i asked for the odd hospital appoint if 1of them could take me, after much uming & arrrring, they agreed, lol. i had already decided, i will be looking after  no1 in future. they are 33 & 30, time to do for themselves. i have a leg brace with an ice pack inside, so been changing all the time. exercise every hour, lifts mainly, but some hours, its impossible. thanx so so much ann. nice to know someone cares. all the best, julie xx
    • Posted

i know that one too well , i have 3 kids , all working , my eldest lives local and will help out if i ask, my 2nd lives an hour away and will help when hes with us ,but normaly only comes home when he has a problem at home with his partner and arrives with his 6 month old ,and spends most of his time sorting problems out with his partner, but will help and even cook , my youngest has just finished collage and thinks shes been working all day, ask dad who also works all day ,she also thinks its my job to do the cleaning lol, my mum has just been told she has RA and is in lots of pain and ive got the job of her hospital appointments etc , so i sat back and decided to put my feet up at tea time and do nothing so what ever has not been done its tough do it your selfs ,( i also pick my grandson up after school , we then have lazy time we both enjoy , hes only 6 so cant make a hot drink but will make me juice and jam butties , he has more thought than the others put together ) so im all for no 1 .
    • Posted

thanx debbie, i appreciate that. i have been a single mum all their lives, done anything & everything for them. not got a boyfriend, not had for 10 yrs, cos they don't like it, only because, i wouldn't be there for them, just so angry & feel like saying to them, your just 2 selfish b******s. never mind, they will see the change when i am better, no1 here i come. take care hun & good luck with your mum xxx
    • Posted

good for you , this is some thing you have to do as no one else will , im not a single mum but have a husband who will help out but has never had much to do with the kids disapline only doing the nice things .3 weeks ago my youngest (19 so not a baby ) asked me to make her tea 2 weeks post opp she said ive been working all day , i said no , she thought i was being mean and waited for good old dad ,who also for once stud up for me and told her to look in the fridge , she did without , and yes what a shock they will get when mum puts her foot down hard .people just dont realise how hard this opp is or how it affects you mentaly or physically ,we have had visitors from canada this week who has kept me busy going out so they have had to help , we also took mum out , shes doing so so ,had another injection in her bum which gives a lot of releife while her meds start working . ps go and get your self a male friend even if its just company or it will be too late and your kids will have won so to speak , xx 
    • Posted

thanx so much debbie, your a lovely lady. i say kids, my sonis 30, he lives here, but the same, "i have been to work all day" lol. my grandson, his son, arrives tonight, until monday morning, as he has since he was born. i usually see to his every need & take him swimming every week, but for the foreseable future, daddy will have to step up to the plate. i came out of hospital last saturday & all my grandson kept saying was, rrrrr nan, we cant have a lovely roast dinner, i felt so guilty, lol. nothing i can do about it. take care sweetie, chat soon xx
  • Posted

I had a TKR just under 3 weeks ago and the pain is unbearable at the minute 

but I'm so glad I found this site as it shows what I'm going through is just one of the stages of recovery.

i take my painkillers regularly..so the exercises and use my ice pack.

i guess things can only get better

thank you all for the information 

I'm 67 and wondered if I was doing everything right or if it was my age why I was feeling so much pain, thank goodness now I realise it's normal 

regards to you all 

good luck 

Jean 

• Posted

Jean , you are the same age as me . I am 11 weeks now , and virtually pain free unless I over do it . I can walk up and down the stairs , do my supermarket shop and have booked a holiday in Cyprus in 4 weeks . I need to have my other knee done , and at your stage, I was saying never again ..you should soon start to feel much better , but it is a very slow process . Just keep up the exercises but still get lots of rest . Anti inflammatory at your stage helped me a lot . Good luck , you will get there xx
  • Posted

Hi and thank you 

I now realise it's early days...I can do the stairs ok although one foot at a time.

at the minute it's hard going but I keep remembering how I could hardly walk before the op.

so things can only get better.  My trouble is I'm impatient and I need to get my mind set to tell me to rest on occasions 

I've been to clinic today and they say everything is as it should be.

i spent 9 days in hospital due to physio letting me fall.

ii write funny poetry as a hobby so it was a good opportunity to write to relieve the boredom.

anyway thank you so much for your reply it really helps 

take care 

Jean 

• Posted

I'm glad to hear everyone having troubles. I'm 3 days post op and I have never been so dependent on other people.  I have found that is someone rolls me over to my side and puts the bad leg over the good I'm pretty comfortable and could sleep for a good 4 hours. Laying on my back I hurt and I'm uncomfortable. 
  • Posted

This forum is wonderful. I am 5 days out TKR. The feeling of helplessness is overwhelming sometimes.  I can walk well but the pain behind the knee is horrible and that makes bending very difficult.  I'm pushing through it and doing all my exercises as best as I can.  We are the only ones who know what's it's like to be so tired but you are unable to sleep because there is no way to get comfortable.  I'm so happy to know there are many others like me.  I know there is light at the end of the tunnel and I have a long way to go.  TKR will definitely teach you patience
  • Posted

Hi everyone...Had tkr 3 weeks ago still having pain and swelling but exercises getting better 100% knee bend smile Just wondering if anybody knows if I can put cream or oil on wound as very tight and dry and can I have a bath as only having showers. Should be having 2nd tkr on other knee but this has put me off..
    • Posted

Linda, you can put cream or oil on as long as the scar has healed , no open parts . I was using bio oil 2 weeks and 2 days . Good luck x
    • Posted

dont let things put you off , 3 weeks is so early , im 12 weeks post op with knee no 2 , the other was done in feb ,so had both done in 4 and a half months , trust me the 2nd was so much better , you find your own way of doing things the easier way and because you know what to expect your much better prepared .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.