bronchiectasis/pseudomonas

Posted , 76 users are following.

I am here to find patients like me with Bronchiectasis and the complication of chronic Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. I am intersted in knowing what kind of treatments they use to stay healthy. I have had theP.A. for seven years but do not have Cystic Fibrosis.[/b]

8 likes, 277 replies

277 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Debbie again.  Look up online a search of mold implicated in bronchiectasis.  Another site is Breathing Matters.  Aspergillus is the primary fungus in mold and is usually not a problem UNLESS IT IS DISTURBED.  Well, we all disturb it!  No one frankly seems to know very much at all what causes this and what to do for it!  Very scary.  My pulmo said the 2 trains of thought are:that you have bronchiectasis and because of that you will easily get bronchitis, pneumonia, etc.  the other train says frequent bouts of bronchitis and pneumonias cause bronchiectasis.  He also said that there is research being done as many menopausal women are contracting it.
  • Posted

I have just joined, and your post is over a year old but I will reply. This is exactly how I am. The Pseudomonas also started about 8 years ago and has made my bronchiectusis much worse. I can't do anywhere near what I did prior to Pseud diagnosis and I use antibiotics much more. At the moment nights are a problem - 3 bouts of coughing, yet not bad during the day. However, I do do exercises 3 times a day to try and keep the lungs clear. Dreading winter of course, the cold  weather doesn't suit me. This is not much help, but you may not read it anyway after all this time. 
  • Posted

Hi there.

I'm just laying in bed reading all conversations/advice and thought I'd say how im feeling. I was diagnosed with bronchiectasis when I was around 22 (I'm now 47) but have had it most of my life. I always had many infections throughout the year and was prescribed oral anti biotics but the infections never stayed away for very long. Then about 10 years ago they discovered pseudomonus in my sputum & I was told by my consultant that once you get it in yr lungs you rarely get rid of it. After months of being poorly I was sent to Papworth hospital in Cambridge and I was put on 2 drugs through ivs they were Trobramycin & ceftazadine. After 14 days I felt really well & infection free for 18 months I hadn't felt that well for that long in years. I had always exercised (mainly running) & believe this helped over the years but now things are completely different. , for the past 3 years my health has deterioted & I don't know what it's like to feel really well anymore. I ache all over every morning when I wake up I certainly can't run anymore (that stopped about 2 yrs ago) & I get tired easily. I have just done another 3 weeks of ivs (my 5th lot of ivs this yr) and the pseudomonus hasn't shifted. I have tried loads of different combinations of drugs but now nothing works. I used to nebuliser gentamycin twice a day but my hearing is deteriorating so I stopped that & trialled ceftazadine but that made me wretch. I'm waiting to trial meropenem but I can't see anything helping because they can't get the pseudomonus under control. I don't say much to my family of friends about how I really feel but I'm so fed up about things as it's a struggle to get out of bed somedays it's like having the flu most days. I would do anything to feel normal again but I know I never will which is the hard bit to accept. My advice to run as much as possible if your well enough, try to avoid touching soil, change the water in your vase of flowers everyday if you have flowers, avoid mould & be careful around Jacuzzis & swimming pools if they are not treated properly they can be full of pseudomonas. I'm happy to receive any advice as I've run out of ideas & so has my consultant!!

• Posted

I would suggest you do some research about phage therapy. I am considering it myself.
    • Posted

Have you tried phage therapy? Did it help?  I am considering it
    • Posted

I've never heard of that. Where are you from. The UK or USA . I'm thinking of buying or seeing if I can get on prescription a Aerosure. Think it's similar to the flutter device. The carbocisteine helps

• Posted

Hi, I know your blog was 2 yrs ago but thought I'd write to you. My Pseudomonsa came from my water supply in my bungalow. The council now have to get rid of it. It might also be in the soil in my garden. That hasn't been tested. The dr told me when I was in hospital that the Pseudomonsa seemed to have gone but they had found Stenotrphononas Maltopelia

• Posted

Hi Everyone.  Have you been using the Acapella Flutter Valve device?  This really does help getting the mucus up and out.  It has to be used correctly, so a breathing therapist should show you how. Also, the nebulizer solution keep it thinned and easier to cough up.  The Vest is another device I use to shake the mucus loose so the other tools can work more efficiently.   Please let us know how you are doing. 
    • Posted

I also use an acapella. I use hypertonic saline through the nebuliser which is great for getting the muck up. I used to have a vitro plate but that broke about a year ago an that used to be great for shaking things up to! ☺
  • Posted

Hello, just to tell you that I have had P.A. for the last 7 years as well and that  they cause many infections. I am on colistina (inhaled) twice a day, bretaris and seretide ( inhalers) twice a day, azitromicina 250mg. once a day for the last 4 months. Besides that I take a lot of supplements, eat very healthy, walk every day and should do exercises, which I don't... I do lots of research to see if something on this earth could help me get rid of the PA....

I. Have had bronchoectasis for the last 27-29 years..very important is the auto drainage which I do twice a day to keep my lungs as clean as possible.

i hope this information is useful and wish you all the best!

Christianne

• Posted

Hi,

For those who have been hospitalised with the infection - can you tell me how long you were in hopsital for? And did they do any procedures other than the IV drip? Any bronchoscopies or anything at all?

And did the antibiotics have any side effects? Tiredness? Need to rest?

I have been told I'll have to go in in the New Year but they didn't give me any other details.

Feeling very nervous so anyone else's experiences gratefully recieved!

I'm in the UK.

• Posted

Hi jenny

I have been in hospital many times and it depends on how bad you are and if they need to do any further investigations. Generally you have ivs, blood test & an xray/Ct scan. The only side effects I've experienced is sickness, they can give you anti sickness tablets for that, also gentamycin caused ringing In my ears but that went after I finished the treatment. Generally I get to feel tired but that's due to the infection & ivs but you get plenty of rest. My advice is take silicon ear plugs with you to block out night time noise (you may have 1 or 2 snorers in with you) ask for a sleeping tablet as this will get you to have quality sleep an take your own pillow in with you. It's nice to have something from home.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Rachel

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

Thanks so much for your reply, that's very reassuring. How long is it usually, about two or three weeks or is it ever less, like just a week? I'm asking as I'm freelance and I don't get sick pay. I was wondering if I'd be in fit state to work away on my laptop or not really?

Jenny

• Posted

It's usually 10 to 14 days. I always take my laptop and earplugs you also can watch TV in peace! I rarely go into hospital now I do my own ivs at home. I only go in if I struggle to get infection free. Then I go to Papworth hospital in Cambridge. I live in Wales but they are excellent at Papworth.

Hope the treatment goes well.

Feel free to ask me anything that may help you ☺

• Posted

pinksnugsy   I have an appointment soon with my Cons,   and I am hoping to explore IV at home.   at my hospital they do do it ambulatory  but its staill a fag going in all the time ( although better than in patient)   is it easy to do it at home?,  I have now heard of several that do do this, but mostly they live far away from their hospital, which I am not

Will they do another trial of Pulmaquin or is the 3rd one the last before it goes to the next stage?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.