Female Cystoscopy ~ DON'T worry!!!!!

Posted , 99 users are following.

I had a Cystoscopy yesterday afternoon. I've known for about a month that I would have to have one and I have been worried sick about it. Found some awful posts on the net about it, and then fortunately found many reassuring posts on this forum! Trust me that when the ladies on here say "Don't worry"....DON'T! I've been so anxious, that I've lost sleep and my appetite over it. I was in and out of Theatre in 7 minutes!  I asked my husband to time it as I knew I wanted to do a review on here to help others, as it has been this forum that got me through it yesterday! 

You are in the position for a smear test for the procedure. Knees bent and apart and feet flat and together on the couch. So no stirrups (which I was glad about, as I hate that restriction, and I had expected that!) First they swab the area down, then insert the local anaesthetic. That just feels slightly cold, but not uncomfortable or painful. Then the camera is inserted, and again, that didnt hurt either. The nurse holding my hand told me it was in and then let me watch on the monitor. Whilst the camera is in, the surgeon fills your bladder with water so that he can see it all clearly. Within a couple of minutes, it's all done! I honestly wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable. You are aware something is going on, but certainly no pain. And if the surgeon told me he was going to do another Cystoscopy on me, I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it!  I was given a cup of tea after the procedure, and sat and rested for a while, and once I had passed urine the nurses discharged me from the ward. I've been passing urine normally and it hasn't even stung, so I guess Ive been lucky. I had no pain until a couple of hours after the procedure, when I guess my anaesthetic had worn off. It was just like Period Pain. I took a couple of Paracetamol and it eased off, and today I am fine. 

So trust my post here! I am the biggest softy ever! And if I can do this you can too. Don't lose sleep over it, it's just not worth it! Ignore the horror stories you might come across on the net. It's easier and much less uncomfortable than a smear test! I am happy to help anyone I can over this procedure. If I've missed anything out and you have a question, just post on here and I will get back to you ASAP. Jackie 

21 likes, 377 replies

377 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Here I am again, I am getting extremely nervous again for my cystoscopy Thursday.  Nervous is putting it mildly. 
    • Posted

I am THE biggest baby when it comes to pain and I am also the biggest worry wart. This site helped ease me fears and afterwards I went back on here to tell my story because it was seriously painless. Yes, you are set up like a gynecologist visit but let's face it, that's where they need to look. I was always covered, was told exactly what was going to happen. After I was told everything was fine so no more extra worry. Please don't worry I felt NOTHING

• Posted

Thank you for reassuring me.  I have felt sick at my stomach all day, head hurts, and I feel like I have fever.  It is all from stressing.  Did you hurt after the numbing wore off or hurt the next day?  Thank you for your input and easing my mind. 
    • Posted

Maybe very slight burning after urination. I was given a pill to take before to prevent this. Otherwise I wouldn't even have remembered anything went on that day

• Posted

This is so good to hear! 

?You have really eased my mind.  Now, I think I'll be able to sleep better.

?Thank you so much.

• Posted

It is all over now!  Not as bad as I thought it would be.  A little burning going to the bathroom the first 2 times but now fine.  Just a little twinge of a slight burn every now and then.  I was given 1 Cipro pill and 2 pills of Uribel.  Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
    • Posted

Thank you.  I am sure I will!

​One question:  Now that the numbing and Uribel have worn off, do you think it is normal to have the slight burning still going to the bathroom and little moments of discomfort there?  I think I read where someone did have burning f/ about a day afterwards.  I am drinkng lots of water and cranberry juice. 

• Posted

I have an appointment for this procedure next week. Every time I think of it I want to cry. I am petrified even though I have had 5 children. I must admit I feel a bit better now I have read your comments! Not sure how o am going to get over this awful feeling I have about this whole issue.

Elaine p

• Posted

Please try not to worry.  I don't know if you read my "experience having a cystoscopy" or not, but I can honestly tell you it isn't anything you cannot bear.  I think it is the "thought" of it and what is being done.  It is very similar to getting a pap smear (position and feeling).  You feel it, but it just feels weird but not excruciating.  Like you, I stressed to the point my husband got online and found this site which helped me tremendously.  Just being able to express your feelings/ thoughts to others who have gone through it or will be, makes you feel better.  While I certainly don't want to go through it again, I wouldn't be as nervous as the first time because it wasn't as bad as I built up in my mind.  I couldn't eat, had headaches, thought about "it" ALL the time, had trouble sleeping, etc...Tell the nurse and dr. your fears.  They will calm you as well. Some people take a muscle relaxer beforehand which is a good idea though I did not do it.  I finally came to terms with this:  The doctors are there to help and to find out what is going wrong.  A few minutes of discomfort could ultimately save my life.  Let me know how it goes and I'll be thinking of you.  It will be fine. 

• Posted

Thank you for your comments and your caring words! I will let you know how it goes! Honestly I am the biggest baby on this earth and most things frighten me! Just hope the outcome is positive!
    • Posted

Elaine, trust me, you'll be fine. It's over so quickly, and I barely felt a thing. A smear test is more uncomfortable than this procedure! I made myself I'll with worry about it, and all for nothing! Thinking of you. Let us know how it goes. 

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I too feel sick with worry. I will keep you updated.
    • Posted

Seriously Elaine, I did just the same to myself! Trust me and don't waste that nervous negative energy. I'd have it done again tomorrow and walk in with a smile on my face. Truly, afterwards you'll wonder why you worried so much. I'm such a softy, and it was a piece of cake! 

• Posted

Not sure if you received my comment but all went very well. Found a small tumour at the top of the bladder by the kidney which was removed and sent for biopsy. Still waiting for results. Thank goodness for the general anaesthetic it was a godsend as I felt absolutely nothing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.