Date set for operation, any advise what to take in hospital ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just heard I am having my right knee replacement on July 20th. Eek it's come round quickly !!

Getting nervous now! And advice please on what I should be taking in hospital with me?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Schu 

When the date arrives it becomes real .

Didnt you get a "coming into hospital pack" with your letter ? What country are you in?.

When i went in i was advised to take in the following ..

Toiletries , sleep wear, full slippers , not mule style . Day clothes and dressing gown, only a small amount of money for newspapers or magazines . Mobile phone and charger ..i also took in my IPad so i could watch catch up tv. Books if you like reading. I didn't do much serious reading as there is so much going on i didn't really have time. 

Good luck with your operation...you will be fine .

Pegs 

• Posted

Hi Pegs

Thank you for replying! I haven't had a letter yet 

Just a phone call from my surgeons secretary yesterday.

I live in England in a town called Nottingham.

Can I ask where you live Pegs? 

• Posted

I agree with pegs girl. When I went into hospital and was unsure of how long I'd be kept in, I took my iPad, mobile, reading book/crosswords puzzle. Don't know where u r from but the visiting hours aren't very long in the hospital I was in and they didn't start until after three o clock so it's a long time to be waiting in bed especially if you are in a room on your own.
    • Posted

Hi Helen thank you, I'm from Nottingham in England! I've been told I will probably be in 4 days?
    • Posted

Hi schu 

I live on the wirral merseryside . Our hospital invite you to a joint school when we have our pre op. We are there all morning and can take a "buddy " the idea of the buddy who can be spouse or friend is to enable them to understand what you can and can't do post op as well as them understanding your expectations . Most people at the joint school are having same op so you can discuss fears together. We had a chat all on a 1-1 basis with OT , Physio , and a nurse who does all your bloods and BP etc . OT ordered me a trolley on wheels for when i came home , only being in my early 50's this made me feel old!! Ha. However the trolley was a god send as when i was alone at home i could walk and push it to the kitchen and put my lunch on it and bring it back.

Anything else you need to know just re post 

Pegs 

• Posted

Thanks again! I too am early fifties, well 54! I love the idea that your hospital provides such a good pre op group! That must be really helpful if you don't know anyone who has had this done ? I hope I get the opportunity to take part in something like ? Thanks again Pegs.
  • Posted

hi i agree withthe others , didnt really need much the time passes quick , inbetween meds, food , physo , and visiters ,not much time left ,you wll be fine .
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie, I agree with you, you don't get a lot of spare time in hospital with everything going off ? Hope your op went ok ? 
    • Posted

my opp went well ,in fact i see the consulfant july 10th for round two ( the other knee ) so hope to have two working knees for september , so it cant be that bad lol ,i didny get chance for the pre opp class as i got a cancelation ,only waited 2 and a half weeks ,so only got the pre opp done , but i dont think i missed too much . i found the opp itself quite nice in a way had a spinal and thought i would be wide awake and see and hear aii sorts but it  wasnt half as bad as i thought  you are very sleepy and not with it at all . once its done your back on a ward wide awake not at all sleepy and ready for food ,the pain for the first day was bad then after that it was well controled , every day i found it easier and i could do that bit extra ,hope yours goes as well smile
  • Posted

Hi I'm from Sydney, but its all sound basically the same. Sleepwear, toiletries, something to keep you occupied i.e. ipad, books, puzzles. I was told 5-7days depending how you go, but its much of a muchness here as there. Also if I had any walking aids - crutches I took them. I'm sure you will be fine. Besy of luck. ps my niece lives in Nottingham!
    • Posted

Hi Kim , thank you for replying! Nice to talk to someone from the other side of the world !! Hope your knee op went ok ? Where abouts in Nottingham does your niece live? 
  • Posted

Hi, just noticed that your op is set for July 20th. I too am due for TKR on July 20th (in a hospital in South Wales) so thought it might be good to compare notes! I was given some details about what to expect and what to take in with me. I see that others have given you advice on this. I'm feeling rather nervous but will be glad to get it over with. I'm trying to exercise as much as I can in the hope that stronger leg muscles will help my recovery. Will keep in touch to see how you get on. 

Jen

• Posted

Hi Jen, thank you for replying! Since I posted the thread my op has been brought forward to July 10th! Like you I am anxious to get it over with!

i have had moments when I think to myself 'Am I doing the right thing'?

I am still fairly mobile, but I suffer a lot of pain and really struggle going up and down stairs and getting in and out my car?

i knew I would eventually need a knee replacement but I thought it would be in years to come!! I am 54 now.

I would love to compare notes with you!

Pauline.

• Posted

Hi Pauline, so good to hear from you. I'm 64 and, like you wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I'm still fairly mobile too but can't do long walks which are very much part of my retirement plan! Some days are better than others and, on good days I think perhaps I should just put up with it, but then I think you've only got one life and if I can enjoy walking again and not suffer, like I am tonight, after being on my feet all day then it's worth having it done. Everyone stresses the importance of the exercises afterwards so I'm getting prepared for some hard work!! You're younger than me so I' m sure you're doing the right thing if it's going to mean a better quality of life. Good luck for the 10th. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Jen  x

• Posted

your defo doing the right thing , you will be surprised how quick the time will go , im 53 and cant wait for my other knee to be done as im getting pain in both due to the fact that im putting to much on the replaced one ,and just think that in two weeks you will be on your way home and you will see the change every day its quite amazing really so good luck for the 10th x
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, it's so encouraging to hear from someone who has had the op that things get better. I am so afraid that I will be no better afterwards. Good luck with your 2nd KR - it must be worth it or you wouldn't go through it twice! 

Jen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.