Walking after 6 weeks bunionectomy

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hi Friends,

For those of you who had only one foot done, I am wondering how you are feeling at 6 weeks. I have been walking for about 10 days in the aircast, as I had the surgery 6 weeks ago yesterday, but my foot is still sore and hurts, and I have severe sciatica in my good leg from sitting around for so long. My wound is raw and red, though no bleeding or oozing, of course.  I thought I woud be much better by now.  Is anyone else at the 6 week point, and in pain?  I'm very dicouraged as I was told I could drive at 7 weeks, tho I am in this boot until after 8 weeks.  Thanks so much.

7 likes, 875 replies

875 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I wore and am still wearing a strong bottomed trainer so that it stops my foot from bending too much.  There is no pain when I press the clutch but feels slightly tight and uncomfortable  You will know when you are ready to do it. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you so much, Jane, for your reply.  I think my foot is too swollen for my own shoes.  May have to order a larger size till the swelling goes down. Take care.
    • Posted

I had to order an extra wide. It’s good to order something, because one day you’ll foot will look great, then the next day (or same day), it will be swollen again. You’ll need at least one footwear you can rely on when that happens. 
  • Posted

Hi Joyce  ,

I had not one but both feet done  biggrin . I had my left foot done in February , I had 3 toes correction (3 pins in for 6 weeks)and bunion correction/removal .I read a lot before I did it and it made me more confused .Everybody had one peace in their story of my problem . So my recovery for left foot last 4 months , I had one cast for 2 weeks than post op visit , stitches removed and fiber glass cast for four weeks (cast cower my foot and up to knee) no weight on foot for 6 weeks. You right pain was there every day since cast was taken off , physical therapy  twice a week and pain to get back nerves "alive" was also present , but I did it . Swelling was present constantly even after 4 months  , I've been told it could last up to 6 months post surgery, and 4 months after I did my left foot I decide to finish what I started and have my life back  , so did right foot  in June ,  I'm still at phase 2 of recovering (which means fiber glass cast is on) and can not wait to get it off and start final procedure with physical therapy .

My left foot looked horrible after cast was taken off I was in shock , but now  that picture is different . My foot has scars and will probably always have them  but it looks way better without bunions cheesygrin

Also to mention I have two screws in my foot left there ,I guess will be only removed if they bother me  , which I won't know until I start wear boots .

Over all I can say there is not 2 case the same when it's about this surgery .

I had friend who was back to work  at week 3  after surgery and I was wearing cast double that time .

Good luck with your recovery and if it's gonna help I can share some photos of my surgery  , but I have to warn you , it does not look pretty rolleyes

• Posted

Hello all and Happy Holidays! 

I am Jenny, new to this group.  I am having my first foot, bunion surgery at the beginning of 2017. I have done quite a bit of research myself, however, am open to suggestions, especially those who have had one foot done at a time.  

I kindly thank you for your time and wish you all the best in your recovery! 

Thanks much and best, 

Jenny 

• Posted

Hi Jenny!

Good luck on your surgery!!! I'm 8 weeks post op from a right bunion surgery. I had a screw placed in my big toe and two others to fuse another bone along with a pin that was removed 2 weeks ago. I just received the ok to start putting weight on it, gradually of course.

I'll be honest, the first 2 weeks were rough. Not pain wise, as I didn't have much pain at all, but realizing what exactly I had gotten myself into ... my independence was completely gone. I would recommend a knee scooter to get around as crutches are just a pain, mine has been a life saver! I spent a lot of time in my recliner with some needlepoint which helped pass the time.

I did plenty of research prior too but everyone heals differently. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!!!

Autum

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I had both feet done 2 weeks ago and read so many horrror stories... my best advice would be rest rest rest! I had my feet elevated constantly and had no pain whatsoever!! Good luck! smile

• Posted

Hi Autum,

Thank you for your response and your honesty! 

Sorry about the pain initially but sounds like the first 2 weeks are the toughest. I will definitely look into a knee scooter....wonder if insurance will cover it.....do you happen to know?  

Any research, sites in pariticular or aritcles you recommend? 

Also, any recs for the initial first two weeks.....my boyfriend will be taking care of me, although I prefer to stay as independent as possible. 

I do NOT, however, want to cause any delay in recovery so plan to follow doc's instructions explicidly! 

Happy Holidays! 

Jenny 

• Posted

Hi Rachel, 

Thank you for responding and your honesty! 

Wow, both feet!!! Kuddos to you!!!

Glad to hear you had minimal pain. Best of luck in your continued recovery!  Keep me posted. 

I had hoped to do both as well, although I have been advised not to.  

May I ask how you are able to use bathroom? 

Thank you for tips on RESTing!  I know I need to be a GOOD patient! 

Any other advice you have would be much appreciated. 

Happy Holidays! 

Jenny 

• Posted

Thanks Jenny! The surgeon who did mine whould have preferred to do one at a time but was happy to do 2 as long as I promised to be extra careful!!

In terms of the bathroom, I get into the bath, get my feet elevated and then fill the bath up around me, I then put my heel walking shoes back on before attempting to get out!

Other advice - elevate even throughout the night, I had my feet up on 2 pillows for the first 2 weeks and day by day I could feel the swelling going down and the bandages becoming slightly looser which.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know but I've been lucky enough to have it fairly easy so far. If you think of anything else get in touch!

• Posted

Hey Jenny,

I'm not too certain about the insurance covering the knee scooter, I think they would be covered under durable medical equiptment.  I was lucky enough to borrow one from a neighbor.  That little thing is amazing and the basket comes in very handy smile

Most of the research didn't really pertain to the type of surgery I had, but just reading through everyone elses experience gave me a better idea of what to expect. 

I hear you on the independent thing!  As nice as it is to have someone around to help, I'd just assume do it myself.  My advice for those first few weeks would be to have everything you need near you.  Phone, pain meds, charger, water bottle, books, blankets, etc.  Prior to the surgery, I set up a table in the living room thinking I would be more comfortable on the couch.  Well, turns out, I hate crutches more than I thought so I spent all of my time on the bed with tons of pillows.  Definitely get a shower chair or something that you can rest on. 

Hope all goes well and Happy Holidays to you as well!!

Autum

• Posted

Hi jenny, i had my scarf bunionectomy done 4 weeks ago on both feet and i have to say wow time is long. I had to take pain meds for 4 days only, the level of pain after 4 days was very bearable. If i hit my toe it really hurts though. Goes to show there is a trauma in there.

Dr said i could walk on heels np. Not a lot of swelling if you keep your feet up and let the other kind people in your life help you.

At 4 weeks i can cook, i vacuumed yesterday, i can wash dishes (kneeling up in a chair) and can get around on the floor on my arse lol (i.e for cleaning the toy mess my toddler makes haha)

Good luck, keep control of your mood i think its what can make your recovery good or a pain in the ass.

Jeannie

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

I've had a left scarf and akin oestomoy (not sure that's how it's spelt) done on the 15th of December so I'm now 7 days post op, I feel as though I've been very lucky! I stoped taking medication after day 4 as I wernt in any pain at all after that sleeping was fine it's more of the struggling to get around on one foot is more of the issue! My surgeon gave me a surgical shoe no crutches or cast and told me I'm on fully weight bearing from day 1 of the operation! I was so scared... but it has done me the world of good I'm walking on my foot with a little limp and swelling is right down already, I haven't Evan had my follow up appointment for a bandage change which is on the 29th of this month and I'm hoping I'll defiantly be back to "normal" after 3-4 weeks! Not Evan the slightest pain but I'm still sticking to the 23 hour a day foot elevation smile x

• Posted

Hi Autum, 

I plan to keep a kit next to me in bed w/ all basic neccessities....did u iniitally keep one in bed and in other room? 

I have a tub/ shower so will look into a tub bench and scooter....countdown!   One week, 3 days until surgery.....

Crutches vs walker....seems walker is more stable and easy to walk? 

Happy Holidays! 

Jenny

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

Good luck with your surgery, I'm 6 weeks post op. I had Chevron Osteotomy/bunionectomy, and sesamoidectomy. Pain was worst the first two weeks, after that, it was annoying but bearable. Some days are better than others. Elevation and ice are definitely key.

Knee Scooter was and still is a life saver. Crutches are the worst and made me feel really uneasy. I'm not sure if insurance covers it, but make sure you have it before or by the time you go in. I found mine on Offer Up for only $50, way cheaper than renting it.

If you're going into a walking boot, make sure you get an air cast/ cam walker of somekind. It has much better support than the standard boot. Shower chair would have been extremely helpful.

Good luck to you, wishing you a speedy recovery!

Nadine

• Posted

I had my surgery on 12/30. I purchased a used knee scooter from someone for $100, I live in the US. Due to my rheumatoid arthritis I don't have the strength to use crutches.

So far I found elevating my foot and icing frequently has helped a lot.

• Posted

If you have facebook check out I Survived a bunionectomy. You will have more response back on info you might need. I do like this site for info doctors have given to their patients. My doctor provided little info on what to do after po.
    • Posted

Hi Autum,

I'm new to this group. I had a bunion removed, a sizeable morton's neuroma and a hammer toe, (my little toe) straightened out. This took place 12/30/17. I went for my first post op visit to check on the 3 screws, everything looks fine. I get my cast off 1/20/17. I am counting down the days until the cast comes off. The dried blood is scratchy and oh boy when my foot swells it definitely hurts. My question to you is how does it feel to put any weight on your foot? Are you supposed to have physical therapy?

The whole screw factor is frightening.

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan,

It's been nearly three months since my surgery and I'm doing quite well.  At my last appointment, the Dr. told me I could finally start putting weight on it (it had been two months non weight bearing at that point).  I'll admit, I was quite nervous and expected to have instant pain but it wasn't too bad.  The only way I can explain the sensation is to say that my foot felt 'thick'.  It's hard to explain - it just didn't feel like it was touching the floor correctly.  It wasn't swollen but just seemed that way. 

It's definitely getting better as each week passes.  I slowly transitioned into my sneakers, a few hours each day and am now boot free and wearing my nikes. 

My Dr. didn't mention physical therapy to me.  From what I've gathered most P/T can be done by yourself in your home.  I've taken bits and pieces of info I've found and have been doing a few range of motion exercises.  There has been zero pain pain (thankfully) with weight bearing.

The only issue I've run into is the cold - when my foot gets cold the areas where the screws are ache - and I'm sure it will be that way for ever.

I too was quite nervous about weight bearing again with screws in but do as instructed and don't over do it and you should be just fine smile

Autum

• Posted

Hi Nadine,

Thanks for well wishes...today is post-op day 5, surgery was Thurs 1/5. 

Been doing pretty well, especailly first day or so when I was still on anesthethia and had numbness in my foot so I couldn't feel anything. Then came a scary episode Saturday evening--dizziness, lightheadness and faint-like symptoms, due to constipation from pain medication.  

Pretty scary as my boyfriend has to call 911.  It sure was a fun Saturday night! LOL I am so grateful he was here with me. 

I'm been off the pain meds now...scared to go back, pain is more manangable. Been able to have regualr bowel movements since yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. Had a spoge bath and change of clothes today...trying to rest.  Ice & elevation are definitely key!!! Lots and lots! 

Becomign a bit restless laying around more but trying to stay positive and upbeat. 

Also, I use a walker...I find it MUCH more stable and reliable than crutches. It is also much safer! 

I keep the boot on ALL the time....even when I sleep and rest and it elevaed as well.  I ONLY get up to use bathroom, in close proximity to the edge of my bed.  

I am concerned in a few days when my boyfriend goes back to work. He will be gone for long hours 10 days...

Anyone have any suggestions? 

Also, Thurs, one week post-op, I have a doctor's appoitment with the surgeon. (podiatrist)  

I feel SO grateful and blessed with this recovery time and wish you all well! 

Best,

Jenny 

• Posted

Hi Jenny!

I too am recovering from surgery and am alone over 10 hours a day. My bedroom is upstairs. My foot is in a cast, I cannot put any weight on my foot.

I spent the first week pretty much upstairs with my walker. It's exhausting going up and down 14 stairs on your butt. I had everything I needed within reach. Water bottles, snacks, pb&j sandwiches, snack bars, books, cellphone, charger. When I take a bath I put my foot in a plastic bag and let it hang over the side of the tub. My cell phone is always close by in case I need help while in the tub.I have a huge cup to pour water over me, it makes washing my hair a lot easier.

I actually haven't needed pain meds after day 3. I keep my foot elevated above my heart with ice as much as I can.

On the first floor of my home I use a scooter. I have 2 small dogs that always want a treat, to go out or lay on top of me, so needless to say I don't rest much on the first floor.

I too was restless thinking of all the things "I should" be doing. I found reading and watching movies made the days go faster.

I recommend packing things you need in a small backpack if you are going to move to another room. It's a lot easier than making several trips.

Best wishes,

Susan

• Posted

Hi Sue,

A big kuddos to you!!! It sounds like you have it all covered and organized well! Hope your recovery continues to go well! 

Post op, day 5, first doctor follow-up in two days, 1/12.

Living situation: I am on one level only and my bedroom is closeby to my bathroom. I will be alone with some help stopping by starting in a few days so I am preparing.

Meds: I am now off the pain meds, which is much better because I did not have a good experience with them.  :-(  Pain is managaeable and I hope it stays this way..sticking with ES Tylenol only! 

Any tips for constipation due to limited movement? 

I love the backpack idea! :-)  and, yes, of course, ICE ELEVATION! 

Also, found some relief remvoing boot a while and exercising! AHHH! :-) 

Any others for meal prep/ management while on own? 

Washing hair? (I know not a major concern but may feel good to have self-care) 

When were you able to bathe? 

Appreciate any advice! 

Best of luck to you and thanks much! 

Jenny 

• Posted

Hi Jenny!

As far as constipation I take Miralax or if I'm too lazy I eat some prunes. Make sure you drink plenty of water

Icing and elevation is the best for pain management.

I started to bathe as soon as the pain was gone, day 3.

When I wash my hair I put some towels on the floor and kneel over the bathtub. I use the big cup to pour water over my head to get my hair wet, then wash and rinse my hair.

To bathe (keep in mind my surgery foot is my right foot) I keep a bunch of towels near the tub, along with a wash cloth, bar of soap and of course my cell phone in case of emergency along with my walker. I fill up the bath tub about 6 inches, cover my right foot with a big plastic bag so I don't get my cast wet,. I sit on the edge of the tub put my left foot in and kneel in the tub with my left leg until I can straighten it out an then leave my right leg over the side of the tub. I'll wash my body and use the big cup to pour clean water over me to rinse off the soapy water. There's nothing like being clean and putting on clean clothes!

I forgot to mention when I get out of the tub and dry off I have a chair by my sink with my clean clothes, I sit there and get dressed and sit while I dry my hair. I also keep a pillow case to put my dirty clothes in. It'seems easier to bring to the wash machine.

As far as meal prep, do you have a crock pot? You can toss a few ingredients in and make a meal. I usually start my day with a bowl of oatmeal and yogurt. I eat apples with peanut butter or celery with peanut butter or almonds or cheese.

Any other suggestions just ask!

Susan

• Posted

Hi Jen. I had both feet done, 6 and 8 weeks ago. Got to say each one feels different! I had scarf and akin (??). Am wearing heel walk sandals (both, or i wld be unbalanced). No crutches. Wheelchair if friends want to take me out. Am due to take them off next week after x ray i hope. Each morning my calves are SO tight! Anyway, i have a few routines - i carry/throw a bag up & down stairs with book, glasses, pills, phone. I use the stairs sideways or bottom shuffle if stiff. Make a large pot of coffee and then microwave 1 cup when needed, then put in thermos cup to carry! Cartons of soup, bread rolls and fruit for daytime eating (husband & teenagers not around). Leave door off the latch so friends can enter. Lots of crochet, FBook, films and books! I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I get sudden stabbing pains or a skin burning sensation in one foot. Sometimes a dull ache deep inside both. So definitely still on occasional painkillerrs.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Thanks again for your thoroughness! 

Had my one week post-op today with surgeon. It went very well. He changed bandage.  I am weight bearing as tolerated still and supposed to wear boot..stitches will come out next week.  He also did not recommend bathing...:-(  

Thanks for tips on bathing......Good for you in starting it so soon. Althoguh I am actually VERY eager to do so, however, I do not feel comfortable with my bathroom/ shower stall situation, however, I love the kneeling idea for hair washing. I would LOVE to wash my WHOLE BODY because had some complications (not surgery related) and I hear you in that it would FEEL amazing! Guess the men (who we love dearly) don't quite understand how nice it feels to be clean, especially our hair! LOL 

Pain seems to be ok until today out and about i cold weather, dressing change so it has been high.  Had trouble w/ pain meds (Norco) not agreeing w/ me so sticking to ES Tylenol. 

Meal prep: simple, although been craving some hot items...soup and pieces of chicken for now.  My diet has been limited due to complications so harder to manage. 

Mobility: I use walker vs crutches..find it much more supportive! 

Appreciate all the tips, especially bathing....my bf is away for work a few days and may try to wash my hair....would love to get pain under control first. 

Any sleeping tips? 

ps. whereabouts are you located? 

Take care, 

Jenny  

• Posted

Hi Alice,

Kuddos to you for having both done!! Hope your recovery is going well.    Interesting because seems like many docs here don't recommend or do both at the same time. 

Appreciate the tips, although different bc I am one week post-op from LLE. Had my one week follow up today at doc, x-rays, dressing change. etc  Next week stitches out. Healing well, yay!! My foot looks great! :-) 

Sounds like ur handling it all well..impressive! 

Best of luck to you in your recovery! 

Jenny 

• Posted

Hi Jen. I'm in England. Agree with you about the hair washing as there are only so many areas a baby wipe will reach! I went to the hairdressers twice just to get my hair washed and dried (£5) and asked around for a lift there and back. I owe a lot of favours now! I'm not so sure I have been brave as the first time I had a bath (after 2 weeks the bandage came off and i have dissolving stitches) i crawled back to the bed and cried and cried over my poor swollen foot. Some sort of emotional backlash. But one can only go forward and there is progress, just slow.

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

I live in the US near Chicago. It's cold now. We had sleet Thursday so going out with my scooter was not fun.

I'm so happy your surgery went well! Yeah!!!!!

Sleeping is the hardest for me. I prefer sleeping in a bed on my side. I'm not a back sleeper. I was told to keep my foot higher than my heart. So I put a bunch of pillows stacked high (for the surgery foot) with extra pillows on both sides for my other leg. I go to sleep with an ice bag on my leg right above the cast; I'm probably breaking the rules, it's not extreme cold but it prevents me from taking pain medication.

Susan

• Posted

Hi Sue in Chicago,  Jen in Los Angeles 

I guess we are just West Coast whimps here in LA becasue the wind and cold of the mid-60's, mid-40's at night is CHILLY for me!  

I went to undergrad in Arizona....love the warm summer sun! :-) 

Good luck w/ scooter mobility there. Be careful!  I bet it helps to give you more autonomy! 

Post-op week 2-  day 9    bandage removal few days ago, stitches out in 5 days. 

Totally agree with the sleeping.  I am NOT getting much sleep at all! 

Noisy neighbors at my home.  Been sleeping at my folks house but just cannot get comfortable--Not a back sleeper either, usually all over the place, but the wearing the boot makes it tough.  Great idea to ice and elevate high to avoid pain meds.  Let me know how that works out! 

I hear you in not "breaking the rules" and following doc instructions. I am also BIG on that because I want to ensure I recover quickly and correctly! 

I am currently progressed to crutch mobility and movind around more independently thanks to my second cargiver, my mother! :-) 

My boyfriend was a bit more dotting on me....a great thing, indeed, especially my first week after surgery! 

Been up and about much more and had my hair done yesterday, which felt amazing! Self-care is key! 

Initaily I was interested in shower....now that my hair is done, I honeslty don't care anymore.  

Pain has increased....sleeping tough so tips there would be great! 

Tell me again how far along you are again..? 

Stay warm & continue to recover well! 

Jenny 

• Posted

Hi Jen,

I am 2 weeks post op non weight bearing. I have a cast on my right foot and in 6 days the cast comes off and then I transition to a boot, I won't be 100% weight bearing for a while due to all the work that was done on my foot. I do have disolvable stitches so they don't need to be removed.

I use a scooter versus crutches because when I initially broke the calcaneous bone in this foot when I fell 2 years ago I fractured the schaphoid bone in both wrists. I have rheumatoid arthritis. I need to be off the RA meds (to heal faster) consequently my wrists are sore, it's quite difficult to use crutches.

Unlike you, my parents are deceased

When my spouse is home he has been somewhat helpful. I find it easier to do things on my own.

I purchased a Foam Support Pillow from Amazon

it helps a lot with sleeping. I can turn my leg sideways, it keeps the ice bag in place, then I put a pillow on the side of it for my other leg It makes side sleeping and elevating easier. It doesn't come with a cover so I placed a bunch of pillow cases over it. I also put this on the recliner when I watch TV.

By the way I'm hooked on this TV series called Good Behavior. You should check it out.

You may need to elevate and ice your foot more to alleviate the pain. I truly haven't been on pain meds since day 3. When your foot swells you'll have pain. I have to really avoid swelling because a cast doesn't expand.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Susan

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi! I am almost 4 weeks post op from a lapidus bunionectomy with 2 screws. I'm non weight bearing til 6 weeks. The knee roller has saved me! My husband attached a basket to it so I can keep things with me I need. (Phone, etc)

As for bathing, I have a tub/shower. I purchased a shower chair before my surgery. I have a shower head that detaches to a hand held and I've been able to shower and wash my own hair. These things are a must!

Keep elevated and iced the first two weeks!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Lisa

• Posted

Hi Sue and all recovering, 

Happy rainy Sunday here in Cali! 

Now, 2 weeks 3 days post-op from L bunion surgery.  At my 2-wk post-op this past Wed. my stiches were removed.  I am currently off the crutches I transtioned to and about to weight bear and walk on my own.  

I celebrated my bday yesterday w/ my FIRST shower just the day before! 

That felt amazing!  It's all about the self-care and the little things.

Pain mgmt: ICE ICE ICE and elevation 

Helps a TON and you won't need any medication. 

Hence, avoid potential tummy and bowel issues. 

Recommendations: 

ICE, elevation, LOTs of self-care, keep things simple so you can rest and recover 

Sleeping: place a wedge or a few pillows by your feet. Roll up a blanket for under your knee;  It will help to support knee and alleviate pain. 

Try sleeping on back or opposite side of surgery.  It defintely takes a while to get comfotable, but, just know, it WILL get better. 

Last night I slept the best yet!  Over 10+ hours, much needed! 

(one of my many bday gifts) 

Showering:  (when doctor says your able)  Set and prepare in advance. USE grab bars, need sturdy surface for support while standing. Take breaks when needed. It may be diffcult to put full weight initially, so do what you can. 

EXERCISE & stay strong: Theraband or you can use cans of food. Make biceps and triceps strong.  Depending on your level of recovery, (first wo wks tough bc hardest) as you get better, try to walk a bit more.  It will feel nice as compared to lying around too much. 

Wish you all well and speedy and heathly recovery! 

Jenny 

• Posted

Hi Jenny!

A belated Happy Birthday to you! Wow everything sounds great! I'm so happy to hear of your wonderful progress.

Susan

• Posted

Thanks so much! Yes, each and everyday!  

Hope you're doing well too! 

Now...for the job hunt....do you happen to know how to transtion back to work and when the doctor will allow you to? 

• Posted

Hi Alice

I am new to this discussion and am looking for a little advice.  I too had a scarf and akin - 7 weeks ago today on my right foot only.  I take my hat off to you having both done!

I have been fully weight bearing now since last Thursday (6 wks and 2 days after op), I can fit into a 'croc' but not much else!  I had a slight inflamatory reaction to a couple of the disolvable stiches but my surgeon was not concerned and my wound is looking good.

How are you getting on?  This may seem an unusual question but do your feet change in colour?  I find mine (op foot) can go from what I would call 'normal colour' to purplish and also quite red around the joint and warm if I have been standing or walking (very slowly) as range of movement is very small at present but I was expecting that.

I hope all is going well.

Tracey

• Posted

Hi Tracey, yes, well my feet always did change colour, particularly in the winter! Right now the scars are red, the damaged foot around is normal or mauve, and theire is nasty hard skin round the sides and underneath that I can't remove as feet feel too sensitive. There was a lot of bruising at first. I went to a physio on Mon and have been trying to walk properly again!

• Posted

Hi,I am 4 weeks post surgery. I had a mild - moderate bunion removed. I have 1 screw to hold toe in normal postion. I was put in a walking boot (pump up ) immediately after surgery.

I was instructed to keep foot elevated & iced for first 3 days & prescribed hydrocodone. Could do limited walking and daily chores as tolerated.

I had minimal pain. However I did not tolerate hydrocodone well so discontinued it after 5th day. I started taking Advil instead.

I was instructed to wear boot 24/7. Difficult to sleep in it.

Back for follow up 10 days later. Bandages removed. All looked good. Incision site redressed.

Stitches removed 17 days after surgery.

One spot not completely closed so steri strips were applied. Could now shower or bathe . Antibiotic ointment applied daily to incision.

Biggest problem so far has been swelling of foot & tingling of big toe. Apparently common but wondering how soon I can wear normal shoes.

• Posted

when it came to showing I put a garden chair in the shower, plastic bag on foot and with the help of my brilliant husband managed fine.  Washing hair was manageable as well. I'm six weeks post op so can now shower without shoe

Mary

• Posted

Hi Rachel

I am getting both feet done on Friday and I am very nervous about the whole pain and recovery period. How long did it take you to walk in shoes with no pain? Also can I do you think it's been worth it?

• Posted

Hi Ann,

I wish you luck on your surgery & recovery. I had my right foot done on February 2,2017. I was put in a pneumatic walking boot immediately after surgery. Told to elevate & ice for several days. This is so important! Take your pain meds as directed. I only needed mine for 3-4 days. I was surprised that I only had mild discomfort.

Take care of yourself. Don't try to do too much too soon. Of course with both feet done at same time you're not going to have much choice. I was instructed to only be up for bathroom visits & heel walking only. I wrapped plastic bags around boot & secured top with heavy tape for showering.

When you go back to your surgeon be sure to ask about toe flexion exercises. You don't want those big toes stiffening up.I found forefoot compression stockings gave good support & helped control swelling after I got out of boot at 8 weeks. It was hard to find comfortable shoes at first. Wide lace-up sneakers were best.

I'm almost six months out & still have swelling. But that's normal. I'm just now beginning to be comfortable in dress heels (and not for long). My sneakers still feel best.

I am happy I had the surgery. No more painful bunion! My foot's not pretty. I think I'll always have a reddish scar but concealer can cover that. It was worth the discomfort & inconvenience.

Don't become discouraged. It's a long process.

• Posted

Hi Lisa I had one foot done end of March and until I read your post was getting to regret having it done as my foot is still swollen. Thanks for your post.
    • Posted

Hi Lillibelle,

I'm glad my comment helped you. This forum was a lifesaver for me! I was very discouraged around 10 weeks but reading others' experiences really helped.

Every day I see & feel improvement. Some days compression helps my swelling & some days I'm not even bothered with swelling. We're having extremely hot weather now & that's a factor.

Anyway,it's definitely worth the aggravation. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Alice, I'm new to this forum and had both feet done 3 weeks ago.  Pain has been minimal  and was the first night last night I didn't take anything and slept well. I am walking on 2 heel walk sandals.  Casts come off in 3 weeks and I can honestly say I can't wait.  When on stairs with a bannister, I manage with one crutch for balance.    I'm not sure what the Surgeon has in mind for the next stage, he has mentioned New Balance sneakers with an inflexible sole.  

I'm just wondering, after 10 months, how are you going with your recovery.  Have you had to do any physio to get movement back into the toes.  It's something I am looking forward to.  

• Posted

Thank you for your detail information. Great to know and definitely will follow. I am on week 3 and am concern once doctor tells me when to start walking. I see him Thursday of this week and he mentioned I will be in a cast. Question , did you mostly usr crutches or knee scooter?
    • Posted

By the way I forgot to mention how happy i am for you on your recovery.
    • Posted

Thanks for the information. I had an Austin bunion surgery. Been a month and foot still elevated. 
    • Posted

I got on my knees and held my head over the facet to shampoo my hair. I use a knee scooter much better than crutches. Borrowed one from a friend. Renting is very expensive. Thanks for your information. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.