Orlistat.........Its not working for me,been taking it over a month :(

Posted , 15 users are following.

I started off at 15st 9lb and I'm now 15st 4lbs. What can i do? I started taking the tablets on the 10th June. Can anyone give me a typical daily menu that they have please? Im thinking of going to get some Slim Fast tomorrow. Help!!

3 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Melissa, it's no good really us telling you what we eat because we are all different and have different likes and dislikes. What we have to do is change the way we eat permanently, and these pills make us really think about what we eat and why. One thing I would say is that your sandwich lunch must not contain any butter or margarine on these pills, and cheese and oven chips are an absolute no-no! Most of us use My Fitness Pal to track everything we eat, not only for fat content but for calories too. The pills aren't magic and work in conjunction with a low calorie diet, not instead of it. I only occasionally eat ham, and it has to be very lean and I cut off every sign of fat. My protein at lunch might be an egg, or tuna, or low fat soft cheese or prawns or something like that.  I make a lot of stir frys using Fry Light to cook in, and serve with boiled rice or couscous, or pasta. I certainly don't go hungry but I'm delighted to say that I've lost over two and a half stone since 14th March. I really look forward to meal times because I know that every meal is another step on the way. I also take care to make my meals look pretty instead of just grabbing something on the run.  Sometimes I photograph them! 
    • Posted

I'm not too clued up on the tablets. I tried looking into them but can never really find a clear answer. Are cheese and oven chips a no no because of how they will affect your body or because they make the tablets not work properly? And bread too. I've switched to brown bread now,I think thats better is it? As far as the chips go though,it really is just 4 or 5,small ones at that,usually the burnt ones!

• Posted

For me, I've decided to pretty much cut out all processed foods/ready meals, crisps, chocolate, puddings, most wheat and dairy products and am eating as natural as possible. 

Breakfast is usually fat free yoghurt with a banana or other type of fruit a glass of water and a tablet.

Lunch is usually salad e.g. salad leaves, beetroot, mushrroms, avocado, raw carrot, raw cauliflower, no dressings. Sometimes I will put some of those ingredients in a wrap but not very often as I'm trying to avoid wheat as it bloats me so much. Also have my galss of water and tablet. 

Dinner is usually a rice dish e.g. vegetarian chilli but not too much rice, or a bowl of mixed beans/pulses, or a big plate of vegetables or a vegetarian burger type thing such as a ut cutlet which is less than 5g fat with vegetables. Again, I will have my glass of water and tablet. If I have pudding which I don't usually it's fat free yoghurt, fruit or a small pack of salt popcorn but certainly not every day. 

I allow myself a couple of treats at the weekends such as an ice cream and we did eat out yesterday but I didn't go crazy with what I ordered - my meal came with a lot of new potatoes and I took most of them off my plate and put them in a spare dish and only had a couple. I don't eat anything inbetween meals but do need to increase my water intake between meals. Also, while fruit is obviously healthy, too much of it is a bit of a no no when trying to lose weight as most of it is naturally high in sugar so unless you are going to burn that off with exercise then it might be a good idea to limit the amount of fruit you eat and fill up more on veg. Just a thought. 

My husband and I have spent the last two weekends sorting out our garage and have finally made room for all the fitness equipment we've aquired over the years which was all folded up and not being used. It's all set up now and ready to use so I'll be adding daily cardio exercises in from today to keep the momentum of the weight loss up. 

I have tried slim fast in the past but always felt so hungry on it. I don't find the shakes very filling and they are quite a lot of calories for what is really a liquid drink that doesn't fill you up - so then if you felt the need to eat something as well you'd end up consuming quite a lot of calories. I'm not sure what you're eating for your meals but if the ingredients are as natural as possible and not processed foods then I would have thought you'd see the weight coming off. 

• Posted

I'm confused of the Intake  ,, 5 g of fat per 100 g I understand that but then why are we aloud no more then 15g of fat per meal when we are only aloud 5g?
  • Posted

Also, I would avoid cheese apart from maybe a low fat cottage cheese as cheese is high in fat and not only would the tablets and cheese combo cause side effects such as oily leakage, cheese just isn't a great idea if you want to lose weight. I used to eat quite a lot of cheese and drank a lot of milk, I have cut both of those out of my diet and the weight is coming off pretty fast. 
  • Posted

Melissa, the tablets work on the fat you take in, but if you take in too much you will have dire effects. The rule is that any food you eat should be no more than 5g per 100g fat, and that you should not have more than 15g fat in any one meal. So cheese is sadly off all our lists. It's the same with fish. Although oily fish contains "good" fat, the tablets can't tell the difference, so you can only eat low fat fish, and I've switched to tuna in brine rather than oil. I have no butter or alternative on bread either, but choose things where I can manage without. Wholemeal bread is always better than white; I make my own so I know exactly what the fat content is but it's very easy to work out with My Fitness Pal. Food is there to be enjoyed, we just have to enjoy different foods! As for the oven chips, McCains are shown as 28.4% fat. Jacket potatoes are fine - I eat a lot of them! I have also switched to using Fry Light instead of oil or butter for cooking. All these little things add up.
  • Posted

Hello Melissa :-)

You are clearly doing something very wrong?

Write down EVERY single thing that passes your lips, it is impossible to be "following" a diet and take Oristat and yet loose so little!

It's boring as hell having to count the calories BUT its the only way you will

reduce you weight hun. If you can try a bit of exersize that will help shift the pounds too.

There is nobody in this forum that can make you loose weight, only you can do that hun, but we can all encourage and support you. There is also the fact that your GP will probably take you off Oristat if you are showing such a little weight loss for the length of time. 5lbs *IS* better off than on, but try to focus on yourself as much as possible, take it a day at a time. x x x

///*.*\\\

• Posted

Hi, I'm finding the loss slow too - only 7lb in 6 weeks. I know how you are feeling. I feel like I am eating hardly anything - I had a fairly healthy and low fat diet before this anyway and I do between 4 and 7 hours of running / exercise classes each week. I think I need to focus more on calorie counting - I aim for between 1200 and 1500 but I can't really use MFP or similar being on a pay as you go phone :-(

I think I'm going to try swapping out some more carbs for protein.

Stick with it, we'll get there (just a bit slower than some people).

• Posted

It's disheartening. I'm trying hard,doing things I wouldn't normally and I eat a good balanced diet. I don't like take away food so therefore don't sat it. I cook all foods from scratch,never eat anything fried anyway because the smell turns my stomach! So far today I have had my tablet with a glass of water and a bowl of cereal,the variety pack sized box with skimmed milk and a coffee. It's fruit and some matzo crackers for dinner with nothing on them,salad with some chicken for tea and that's it. I'm just finding it difficult. Need to stick with it because I'm desperate to lose some weight. We will get there I suppose. Looks like it's going to take longer than I thought. Maybe I just need to eat raw carrots or something?
    • Posted

Do you think there's any chance you could be wheat/gluten intolerant? I know I am and whenever I eat wheat I get so bloated and my stomach swells. I haven't eaten cereals for a long time because I find they pile on the weight. Might be worth swapping your cereals for fruit or fat free yoghurt and seeing if it makes any difference? No harm in trying. 
    • Posted

Think I'll go get some gluten free bread tomorrow,see if I feel less bloated. Never even thought about that. Come to think of it,I always feel bloated after bread or pastry,always have done? I've had blood test though,would it have shown up on them?
    • Posted

I was getting no end of problems with my stomach and bowels - I used to get really bad stomach aches and spend ages on the loo - if I'd eaten a lot of wheat products I'd get sores on my skin and psoriasis on my scalp, sometimes ulcers in my mouth. Lots of acid reflux and heart burn. Felt so bloated all the time. Sometimes I just fancy something wheat based and have it and then I feel uncomfortably full really quickly. I had an endoscopy to see if I had coeliac disease but the test didn't confirm it. They had wanted me to eat a lot of wheat products fo a week before the endoscopy but I couldn't eat as much as they'd wanted as I was working and couldn't be dashing to the loo every 5 minutes. They asked if I have any Irish in my blood which I do (my maternal grandmother was Irish) - they said people who come from the west coast of Ireland in particular are more prone to have Coeliac disease or a wheat and gluten intolerance. They told me to avoid it as continuing to eat large amounts of wheat and gluten when you are intolerant to it can lead to bowel cancer. My mum is now undergoing tests for it and had her endoscopy last week. 

Personally I haven't found a gluten free bread that I like - they are usually very dry and crumble when you try and spread anything on it. Also, most gluten free food is packed full of sugar which isn't great. I do buy the gluten free pasta but you need to add a bit of oil to the water when you boil it to soften it, otherwise it can be a bit hard and chewy. I'm really selling this gluten free stuff aren't I?? wink 

I think it's worth cutting it out completely for a week and seeing if you notice any difference in your weight and also how you feel in general. Then add it back in again and see how it affects you. The drs told me that's the gold test - the best way to tell if you are intolerant to it and gives a better indication than a blood test. 

• Posted

I cut out bread (apart from the odd occassion) back in November and I suffer less bloating and feel more comfortable but it hasn't made any difference to weight loss. My IBS is better for it. Just try it and see how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.