Calorie counting, exercise, why loose weight & off days?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone :-)

I am throwing these few topics out to the forum, as I was wondering who actually counts their calories each day? do you think you are honest with yourself when you are adding them up, even when using "My fitness pal"?

Who attempts exercise and how often? what type of exercise and for how long? Have you managed to remain active despite you size, or has your size/health hindered you?

Why do you want to loose weight? How do you feel it would change your life? Are you loosing it really for you, or are you doing it for someone else?

What do you usually do to stay in control when you have an "off" day & do you like yourself as a person on your "off" days?

///*.*\\\

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I try a rough calorie count and I am honest about it, but it's not very accurate, for example, dinner at the in-laws tonight, I will have to look at the plate and guess the calories!

I try to do quite a lot of exercise although I have a 2 year old who will not go to bed at the moment. I do exercise classes like body combat and pump and I also run. I run 30 mins or so, and exercise classes are 1 hr. I also do exercise dvds at home when I have chance. I do a lot of walking and cycling at the moment too having had to stop driving earlier this year, but I find it's only the hard cardio that works for me. Itching to get back to martial arts too for the flexibility.

I have found the exercise hard sometimes, particularly after having my daughter. My weight meant I had bad spd in pregnancy and she pushed a rib out, so I had to get back into it slowly. Also, knee and back issues not helped by weight.

My biggest battle at the moment is depression - weight doesn't help and I've had to overcome binge eating. When I have a bad day, it is the hardest internal battle to not eat. I can only focus on what I can't eat, not what I can. I don't know how I get through, I just seem to. Sometimes I give in to a diet coke to give me that sweet fix.

Motivation - I can't look at my own wedding photographs as they disgust me. I can't be that person any more. I have high bp and I'm at real diabetes risk with insulin resitant polycystic ov. syndrome and just have to do something. Also, just can't risk another pregnancy unless I can lose weight.

feeling hungry now after my cous cous and cucumber for lunch - lol

• Posted

Roodles!

I take my hat off to you for the amount of exercise you do, you put me to shame! but I am guessing you are much much younger than I :-)

I attended martial arts classes around 15 years ago, got to brown belt, my brother is a 2nd Dan!

Depression is a bugger to get over, I hope you have support with it? Have you ever heard of  "The Big White Wall"? Check it out, its a support group with therapists and members, maybe it can help a little x x x

I know what you mean about wedding photos, I am "supposed" to be getting remarried this year and keep putting it off, I dont want to be fat in my wedding pic's! Maybe when you drop your weight you can have a new lot of photos taken, I am sure family and friends will be happy to oblige when they see the new you!

You are on a very special mission Lily....Focus on that little one! x x x

///*.*\\\

• Posted

Thanks - I'm kind of on a martial arts break until my little one is big enough to come along. I'm a 3rd dan and my hubby is a 5th in one and 3rd in another - my daughter can already use nunchucks at 2yrs :-)

Depression and anxiety is frustrating - been well over 2 years this time. I keep having really serious medication reactions - passing out at work. I'll check out the big white wall - thanks for that. Need some extra support I think. Weight loss will help.

Thanks x

• Posted

Hi, I count my calories everyday as well as fat content, I've stopped taking orlistat now as my mind has been trained not to eat junk- is rather starve lol my target is 1300 calories and I rarely get to it sad 

I excersise everyday, and have gone from not being able to walk up the beach stairs to walking 3-5 miles every day,  I also bought an electric treadmill for when I'm home and I use that everyday, 

I'm desperate to change my lifestyle, as I hate who I've let myself become sad  my confidence is growing again already.

I don't have 'off days' I want this too badly to cheat, I've changed everything in my kitchen to a healthier version ,

No one should let themselves be hindered by worrying what people think about them wobbling up the road.. The more you do it the faster the weight will come off! 

Shelagh xx 

Daisy, in your photo you don't look overweight at all! X

• Posted

Hiya Shelagh :-)

I smiled when I read your message, I felt both happy and concerned for you. Happy that you are really motivated, but concerned that you may be being a little extream in the pressure you are putting upon yourself. I fully understand you want this so badly and it will come, but do be sure to eat enough hun, I dont want to hear you starving yourself :-(

Its great you are managing your calorie intake, but be sure to have a balanced diet hun and above all be kind to yourself. I dont think that any of us in the forum like what we see when we look in the mirror, or like being overweight, I feel quite cross with myself at times, but I am now doing something about it.

I do not want to put a dampener of your motivation, I would encourage it 100% as long as you are taking good care of yourself. x

I dont carry any weight on my face, which is probably the reason people cant get their head around how heavy I am, from the neck down HELL breaks loose! eek

///*.*\\\

• Posted

Yeah I know about the calories, but some days I sit and think oh my god I'm under by 500 calories... Where am I gonna find those at 10 pm, I genuinely don't need more food than I'm having, I'm eating properly 2 meals a day and lotttts of fruit as snacks.. 

I couldn't bare to put something higher in fat on my mouth now , and that's where I think is get the higher cals from, incidentally I've gained 2lbs this week, but never having gone out of my allowance I'm not worried at all.. I put in a request for orlistat again yesterday and just picked them up, I'll try and push the the fat content thing this month and see where it lands me rolleyes lol

Shelagh xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.