Recovery post ovarian cyst and ovary removal

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hello all, 

I'm 42, fit (a personal trainer) and have 4x5cm simple fluid filled cyst on my left ovary, been there for 10 years but only now symptomatic and has grown. I'm scheduled for surgery in the next few weeks. My surgeon says she won't know until she goes in through keyhole to make sure the cyst hasn't adhered to anything else in my abdominal cavity if she can get it all out by keyhole. I may have to have a laparotomy. I'm not scared about the surery itself, I'm just gonna be glad to have some relief. 

What I am terrified of is the recovery time off of work! I know, we're all different and have such different circumstances but I just wondered how anyone else got on post surgery. Thanks in advance for any replies. 

3 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hello, im 34 with quite a few health conditions. im also 4 wks post op. had a 15' cyst on my ovary.was told i was having a keyhole procedure, wake up after surgery to find out i ended up having an open surgery with my right ovary & tube removed. we all tolerate pain at different levels. i can tolerate pain. still pain in abdomen area. its just bed rest which gets a little boring. your body will tell you when your overdoing it esp when i try to wipe this and that. 
  • Posted

Hi! I just had laparoscopic surgery yesterday to remove both ovaries, one of which had a very large cyst. I also had a D and C to remove several polyps. I am 65 but a fitness instructor so I'm in good shape. 

This surgery floored me. I am in a lot of pain and can't sit up in bed. I'm taking oxycodone which does help. I took off two weeks from my fitness job. I hope that's enough but I will have to play it by ear. I can't imagine doing planks or crunches when sitting up is excruciating! But I'm sure things will slowly improve and I can get back to work. I'm not going to push it. I think that could cause more problems with scar tissue and adhesions. 

I would advise you to take off as much time as you need and be prepared to experience post surgical pain. You'll need help with sitting up and getting to the bathroom etc. I also have no appetite but am eating soft things like yogurt. My throat was very sore from the breathing tube. I also have a back ache from the CO2 gas they give you to lift up the organs in your abdomen. The pain melds help with all that. My surgery was early morning yesterday and I'm noticing improvement already. Hang in there. Give yourself lots of rest. Get help at home if you can. 

Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi, I just underwent ovarian cyst removal (large on both) and removal of both ovaries/tubes......has been almost 8 weeks and still having intermittent abdominal pain, back pain (have scholiosis too)......and energy level is really low, stamina low........it has been 4 months since your surgery.......wondering how you are doing....I am 64 yrs old.....and pretty fit....work out side alot with horses.......just checking.....looking for some positive information.....Thanks!
  • Posted

Hi.. I was wondering how your surgery and recovery went? I am 42 years old very fit as well. I do P90x, yoga, and treadmill mosty 6-7 days a week.

Today I had my right ovary removed, left tube removed, a couple polyps in the uterus removed, and endometriosis removed. I am really hoping for a speedy recovery!!! I can't imagine having to take it easy for more than 2 weeks!! I had to stop hardcore exercise, only walking, for 3 weeks prior due to bleeding and pain. I am having a hard time with that mentality since it really helps mine moods and self-esteem!! So far no pain pills other than ibuprofen and Ice pack, since most pain pills make me sick.

Please let me know how your recovery went!! I am really hoping it is better than what I am expecting!! I couldn't imagine it taking longer than a couple of weeks!! Plus I miss my Pre-k class and co workers!!

• Posted

I just had surgery on my ovary had 5.5 cyst. My surgery lasted about two hours I am home now same day my plane ticket strong after I got home . I could not be in bed at all and I couldn't stand it I had to sleep sitting down on the sofa completely straight it was very hard my pain was very strong but I lasted night . I'm still sitting walking barely my pain is still about a 7/8 ,, kind of hard to push to stand I have the really use my legs the pain is still strong I'm taking my pain medications which don't help too much . I think the worst part is the cough that you get after the carbon dioxide line they insert in your stomach thru your mouth to inflate your stomach,, that is what's causing my pain more because of my dry cough. I would never want to go do this again .

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 41 years old.

I am 7 days post op. I had my right ovary and tube removed due to dermoid cyst and torsion.

My surgery has a vertical incision from my belly button down to the pubic bone.

I have only been taking ibuprofen 800 for the pain since coming home.

I have pain on the inside and at the incision site. The inside pain is more towards the right side.

I get winded just walking a few steps. Everything from sitting to standing is a struggle. Hoping to feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi, I'm 43 years old...scheduled to have right ovary/tube removed on 1/10. How was your recovery? How long was it before being able to drive?

Thank you for sharing! 

• Posted

Hi,

I started driving about 3 weeks later. It will depend on what medications you are in. Also my incision was vertical as opposed to where they normally due a c-section. If you have a horizontal incision it might heal faster.

I ended up developing a little pocket of fluid called a Seroma or something like that. That prolonged my recovery a little bit.

Definitely listen to your body. Get plenty of rest when you can.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi there, how did you know it was truly a seroma and not just still swollen? I happen to read your response about to GeeGee99 and decided to google what it looks like.  Ironically my right side, my "good" overy has pouch like skin, look's like it could just be swollen? Let me note that she did find a small droid on that ovary too that she removed.  I do not go back to visit her for another week, now I am paranoid smile

• Posted

My incision starting draining a lot so I went in right away. The doctor drained some more fluid while I was there and told me it was a seremoa. He also drew a circle and said that if the swelling went past that circle to go back in. I was also put on antibiotics to ensure that it didn't get infected.

How long ago was your surgery? When in doubt you should go in.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, I have my pre-op consult on 1/5. I am 56 and have a 15x12 cm

Cyst on my right side. I don't have pain I just feel it when I lay

down. After reading these posts, I worry most about being off

work more than 2 weeks. I hope you have a quick recovery!

• Posted

Hi, I pray complete, painless and speedy healing for you! Thank you for sharing! 😊

• Posted

Thank you for sharing, this thread has provided both insight and encouragement. Only a few more days before my surgery...I will post an update with hopes that it helps someone, just as this has helped me.

Thanks again!!

• Posted

I'm new at this and don't know how to post I had my cervix and uterus removed ten yrs ago and 8 days ago I had a laparoscopic to remove my tubes one ovarie several small cysts scar tissue and they also ended up having to detach and tack my intestions they were attached to my wall and other organs iv been in so much pain having to take my meds more than the bottle says iv had to take every 4 hrs instead of every 6 my pain has eased up but iv been gettin chills and not feeling well I slept bunch started feelin better and then bad again I'm now able to take med every 6 to 8 hrs is takin so much at first normal afraid wat my dr will say when I don't have as many as supposed to this surgery was worse than others and should I feel so bad

• Posted

How are you? Four days ago I had unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (USO) = removal of ovary and Fallopian tube 
    • Posted

hi cc58427

can i ask why they changed to a laparotomy. i too an schedules to have 15cm cyst, ovary and fallopian tuve removed. All ive been told is they hope to do it laproscopic not yet had pre op. surgery scheduled for 25th feb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.