Recovery post ovarian cyst and ovary removal

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hello all, 

I'm 42, fit (a personal trainer) and have 4x5cm simple fluid filled cyst on my left ovary, been there for 10 years but only now symptomatic and has grown. I'm scheduled for surgery in the next few weeks. My surgeon says she won't know until she goes in through keyhole to make sure the cyst hasn't adhered to anything else in my abdominal cavity if she can get it all out by keyhole. I may have to have a laparotomy. I'm not scared about the surery itself, I'm just gonna be glad to have some relief. 

What I am terrified of is the recovery time off of work! I know, we're all different and have such different circumstances but I just wondered how anyone else got on post surgery. Thanks in advance for any replies. 

3 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, im 21, and when i was 15 i had to have a cyst removed. I dont know what the type of surgery was called but they cut me across the stomach like when you have a c section and then cut the muscle inside going up and down. It took me a while to recover i couldn't lay down in a bed because it was too painful to grt up even with someone else's help, i slept sitting up on the couch for at least a month. I ended up also getting an infection which made matter worse. I wouldn't want to go through it again, which is why im having anxiety because i have the same pain as before with the cyst and i think i may have another one. Im not sure how common it is to develop another one that is just as bad, maybe someone here my know.

• Posted

Hi, im 21, and when i was 15 i had to have a cyst removed. I dont know what the type of surgery was called but they cut me across the stomach like when you have a c section and then cut the muscle inside going up and down. It took me a while to recover i couldn't lay down in a bed because it was too painful to grt up even with someone else's help, i slept sitting up on the couch for at least a month. I ended up also getting an infection which made matter worse. I wouldn't want to go through it again, which is why im having anxiety because i have the same pain as before with the cyst and i think i may have another one. Im not sure how common it is to develop another one that is just as bad, maybe someone here my know.

• Posted

Hi, my daughter had keyhole surgery to remove a 7.5 cyst on her ovary last October and developed another large cyst size straight away afterwards on the other ovary and had to go back in for surgery again a month later. She is still recovering after 7 weeks, she has been taking the pill to prevent her developing anymore,  I hope this helps!
  • Posted

Hello drkensdeb. My name is Marney and I'm 17 years old, relatively fit. I have a complex cyst on my right ovary measuring at 13-15cm. I am scheduled to have surgery in a few weeks. My surgeon is going to try and do the procedure laparoscopically however says she may have to move to an open procedure depending on what she finds. I was wondering if yourself or anyone else would be kind enough to share your own experiences and advice. I am very nervous as this is my first ever operation and only my second time in hospital. Any replies would be very much appreciated. I hope everyone is well and happy.

• Posted

Yes you need to heal the cause of your cyst..could be due to a hormonal imbalance...could be your diet (processed food, etc.) I would advise everyone here to do a cleanse after, along with a plant-based diet free of dairy, wheat, sugar, and grains....blessings
    • Posted

Hi I am 22 years old, I have had serious swelling for around 5 years which the doctors first diagnosed me with IBS. After nagging them I have finally managed to get them to book me in to an ultra sound. Please can you guys tell me what symptoms you got? Very frustrating and depressing for me as I have been going through this for such a long time and I just want an idea, my symptoms have been obviously the swollen tummy (which is always there) I don't tend to bleed properly when on my period and my mother has also had past experiences with ovarian cysts.

• Posted

I know this is overdue, this is more for people reading now in search for answers for a future surgery getting done.

I just got my surgery dine yesterday, post-op I haven't experienced pain. The most unconfortable (but not painful) things I have experienced have been gas in my stomach making it impossible to lay flat or I couldn't breathe so I slept sitting up. But today it doesnt seem like it is an issue anymore.

Another post-op experience is that everytime I go pee, I feel like I need to pee badly albut it takes 2-3 minutes of sitting on the toilet before I actually start peeing which is weird but again not painful.

• Posted

I had a laparoscopy for a ectopic pregnancy removal and the only pain I had really was from the gas, the truck is to just move around as much as you physically feel well enough too. I was extremely hungry as they said they'd discharge me before lunchtime so I didn't order a dinner. Everyone's lunch came and I was still waiting, by the time I got out of hospital and round to my mother in laws who'd cooked a Sunday roast I was in absolute agony, I guess I added to the gas build up and I literally felt like someone was standing on my shoulders!

Moral: take something to eat in with you in case you miss a meal!

Oh big big pants and bottoms that are 2 sizes to big maybe advisable, I couldn't believe the size of my stomach, favourite jeans definitely didn't make an appearance for a few weeks!

The laparotomy was completely different, very little gas pain, I even made myself chuckle as I turned to release what was still in there....if hubby could hear me now he'd be proud to take ownership of that one! This was the one time in my life I had been encouraged to pass wind!

Trying to sit up for the first time was daunting as they usually put a pressure dressing on you so you feel heavy and surgery drugs have usually worn off too, I remember being uncomfortable but very proud when I could get out of bed myself. I swapped from bed to chair and did quite well. The walk out of hospital was very very tiring though and the car journey not the best, if you can get a lift home in a people carrier or similar then you'll be fine. You'd be surprised how much manoeuvring you need to do to get in a small car.

One thing I feel I must prepare you for is the drain coming out, count to a high number out loud or chat to the nurse and close your eyes, it's not painful but a very strange sensation, one I'll never forget that's for sure.

The other thing is be prepared to go commando, getting pants on is a challenge, as are socks and pyjama bottoms.....stick to big baggy nighties, you'll have the use of 2 arms but only one leg! Drawing my legs up was near on impossible at times.

Be prepared to not want to share your bed, I was terrified that hubby would turn over in the night and flop his arm straight across my stomach. I loved my reclining settee to sleep on because I felt safe and I could sleep sitting up so no chance of rolling over.

Lastly when you go out for your first walk be prepared to get "overtaken" by an 80 year old, it knocked me for 6, but on the flip side what a sense of achievement they must have felt...... I was 36 at the time!

I took 7 weeks off but could have done with one more week really. I only went back when I did because they were threatening redundancies so had to drive to get to the meeting, I should have stuck to my guns really but felt because I had driven there and they'd all seen me, from the outside I looked well but inside I was still repairing. Don't under estimate recovery time, internal stitches take longer and a day being bored at home is entirely different to a day working again, your brain needs time too. I found that when I could write properly, watch a detective show and actually take in the plot or read a book and not have to keep going back a page then it was time to go back to work.

I get to do this all again in a few weeks so I'll be right there recovering with you. You'll be fine, the tricks your mind plays on you while waiting for tests, op dates etc is worse than recovery, although having said that, your body has a great way of letting you forget the pain of surgery and recovery....X

• Posted

Hi I am 42 I am post robotic laser surgery. I am very nervous I am having my right ovary and right tube removed. Unlike a lot of you all I am not fit I am over weight and I have a couple of other health issues. My Gyn said I would only be off work for 2 weeks and this is a 1 day surgery. Have anyone experience a quick recovery? This page was very helpful, by letting me know what to expect. I dont take pain very well. I am very nervous. 

Thanks, in advance

• Posted

I had the same thing removed along with some cysts. I am in pretty good shape and it really took me two weeks for the pain to totally be gone. I did not take any pain pills just ice packs and pot. All pain meds make me sick except Ibuprofen and reg Tylenol. I still get pains or cramps a few times a week that Ibuprofen will take care of most of the time.

I hope this helps you and you have a speedy recovery!!!

• Posted

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it has been 4 months since my surgery.

• Posted

Hi.  I'm 45.  Also.  Good physical shape. One week tomorrow from left ovary removal and tubes.   Also ablation.   I am having night sweats and sadness.  And I'm never sad.  I called Gyno today she says we need to give it time.  Uhhggg 

did this happen to you at all?   And did the other ovary eventually compensate for the missing one ?    Btw.  Recovery is a bit more than anticipated.  But no pain Meds other than Advil.  That's good.   Your several months out.  Hope your feeling great

lisa 

• Posted

Lisa I have to say recovery took longer than what I thought too. I had night sweat too which is crazy because I am always cold. This and most pain lasted 3 weeks for me. The bleeding lasted 2 months and I am now told I need to have another ablation, left ovary, left tube, more cysts removed and my whom. Basically the rest of my women parts due to non-stop bleeding. This is devastating to me since I am very active and now back on full actives. I will have to take another 2 months off of non-activites and 4 weeks off of work which I love!!

I hope you have better luck and your recovery goes well.

• Posted

I completely understand !!!  😔I am so sorry.   I am more upset about not working out and being active than all these problems 😃🙈 I'm really angry because I argued for two months with my doc about just taking it all so I won't be here again soon.  My ca125 was elevated and she insisted that I needed this other gimpy ovary.  It's tough being down this long.  I am with u.

I wonder if we don't just turn into psychecks sometimes.  Like. Another surgery.  More $.   Because I am 45.  My ovary was only good another 4-5 years.    Today I went out walked .8 mile.  Pretty crazy how hard that is when your used to so much - I think this. We are young and obviously both fit and strong.  We are lucky that we are.   And even tho 4 weeks seems like eternity we will bounce back fast.  👍🏼I think they should of just taken it all from u.   From me.  Been done. Like they did 20 years ago.  Move on.   

Do u have a surgery date yet?

• Posted

Hi, I am 66 and had an oophorectomy 2 weeks ago.  I had a 3.5 cm cyst on one ovary and had that removed as well as both tubes, but decided at the last minute to keep one ovary and I think that has made me feel better mentally.  I was in hospital overnight, they put cramp things on my legs overnight so could not sleep all night as these kept me awake ( they pump your blood) and the machine makes a noise all night.  I also had a catheter in so could not get out of bed.  I bled for one week.  I has strong period like cramps, for the first week, now they have lightened off a lot.  I had 4 incisions.  I wore pressure stockings for a few days so you don't get blood clots.  It also hurt to swallow for a few days as they put a tube down your throat and it was sore on the side of my throat as they had to put an oxygen mask on me.  I have applied for 3 weeks off work (office work) and am into my 2nd week.  Luckily I like to sleep on my back as if I roll on my side it's uncomfortable and have to go back on my back.  I hope this helps as the hospital does not give you much information on what to expect.  

• Posted

Four days ago I had unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (USO) = removal of ovary and Fallopian tube.  Hell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.