So tired after total knee replacement

Posted , 158 users are following.

I just wondered if anyone else just feels so tired.. I am 6 weeks today post op .the op went well and I am progressing well. But I am just so tired. How is everyone else feeling ? 

23 likes, 349 replies

349 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thought i should reply again.

I am like all of you had left knee full replacement on 5 th November went well

now 4.5 weeks get tired quick think its

because i sleep in snatches at night time.

The Good News my Right Knee was done

same with same Surgeon . Who is excellent

sure i felt good after 6-8 Weeks .

but most important i have a great range of

movement 140 * Can knell as well .

Worth waiting for !!

Regards

john

• Posted

Pam,ive had both my knees replaced and there absolutely brilliant, but the hardest thing i found especially the first 6 weeks was sleep i could go to bed at 11 and be back downstairs at 11.30 watching tv all night it wasnt even pain just discomfort that was until my surgeon gave me a tip, you know you cannot sleep with anything directly under your knee as this will cause a bend but the surgeon said put a bed pillow length ways under your leg ie half way down your hamstring under your knee and to your calf muscle your leg will stay straight but be cushioned and my god it fantastic wish i had known after the first knee TKR.One last think as i said both my TKR replacements have been brilliant its a hard recovery road but i look back and think best decision i ever made, good luck pam.

• Posted

well its a day over 4 weeks since my op and although i am over the moon with the progress i have made with my recovery i too still get really tired. Its like waves of acute tiredness just sweeps over me that i feel just to tired to do anything. i think i will try the nap on the bed the during the day and see if that helps. of all the things i was told of to be aware of after the op not one person said be ready for the tiredness. So it did surprise me and at times worried me. Reading all these replies though has made me realise how common it is. Now i am off to have a nap.

• Posted

Felt I have to reply to all that have commented. Thank you!!! I am also 6 weeks out from surgery and beside being extremely tired I went through a tough stretch of depression. Hearing from all of you and understanding that all this is quite normal and will get better has helped. Again thanks and prayers everyone heals and gets back to a normal life!!!

• Posted

You'll be fine Mike --- it's all part of this long process... Being tired and limited to activities will depress anyone. I am one year out and I can finally say it was the best thing I ever did. However when I was at your level of it, I too felt the same way you do now,. Hang in there my friend.

• Posted

Hey Mike,

glad to have helped. In fact I'm about to get my second knee done in 3 weeks. believe me it does get better. I had my first one done in 2015 (I think I mentioned that, LOL) and last year I took a life long dream trip to Greece, some thing I could have never done prior to the surgery.image

• Posted

I am really jumping the gun then. I am 2 weeks post op today and feel like I am dragging my knuckles on the ground.

Thank you for the feedback. It is nice to know that it is a long process and that there is energy and normal functioning at the end of it.

wishing you all a speedy recovery

• Posted

Update, I am 8 weeks out and with in the last week my energy levels starting to really improve. I have noticed that as my energy levels improved my surgical knee is not near as hot. My therapist had told me that your body sends all its energy to your knee for healing which drains the rest of your body and contributes to the fatigue. this might be something to pay attention to. Good luck everyone!!!

• Posted

Hi Pam, i'm 10 weeks post op and still get very tiered 1/2 way through the day. i find the exercises a right pain (in more ways then one) but they are very important so do stick at them, i had a few weeks of Hydro physio which is terrific and is far less painful. Have you had your iron levels checked, could be a bit low?! kR Mike

• Posted

It is so normal to feel that way. I am now 14 months and finally feeling pretty good.

For me, I never realized that you sort of become amemic temporarily (at least that is what I was told after complaining to my doctor about it); I opted NOT to take iron since it was temporary. So hang in there; rest when you can but above all MAKE SURE YOU ARE DOING YOUR PHYSICAL THEREAPY. Hang in there......you will be fine.

• Posted

Hi everyone. I needed this forum tonight. I am 5 weeks postoperative, with a double knee replacement. Man, this something. I have a three-part recovery, it seems. 1. Pain and stiffness. 2. Fatigue. 3. Emotions. I stopped the narcotic pain meds two weeks ago because they truly scared me. Helpful, but don't want a drug recovery to follow this recovery. So, pain, but much much better. Fatigue is why I checked out this forum. Gawd!!! Washed out at the most simple tasks and just don't feel well. Emotions, well, I have had my moments but know what do do with that. Has anyone done both knees? I'm 69, walking without an assisting device but feel like I'm living in an aquarium with my face pressed up against the glass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.