Post Fibroid Embolisation

Posted , 102 users are following.

If my experience can help I would like to share this to other sufferers of fibroid. 

Having decided not to try for a family after having had 4  failed IVF's, I just like my life back without pain, bleeding & generally miserable every month.

I have ticked all the boxes that my gynae suggested pills, Zoladex, hysteroscopy-failed mirena or not even had it despite undergoing most uncomfortable impromptu procedure.

I cannot fault any of the staff who dealt and performed my procedure, they were excellent.

However, soon after the procedure my pain was not managed properly & I was in agony. I suggest that premedication of Voltarol, paracetamol @ anti emetics should be in place. Then as soon as the procedure is completed a bolus of 10 mg Morphine from the PCA should be initiated.

Diet wise eat less & high fibre to avoid abdominal discomfort.

Rest is vital. 

The first week was I called 'a week of pain'.. The cramping was severe and round the clock pain killers, had to take 'oromorp' prescription.

Second week, things are getting better but constantly tired. 

Third week, cramping started & slightly bleeding still very uncomfortable, guess this is my normal cycle time & already showing signs of fibroid shredding.

I'm still in this week of recovery and hoping that with what I have gone through the result is good in three months time.

UFE is less invasive but should be treated as having had major procedure because whilst there is no open wound, things are all happening inside you and only you can feel the pain!

8 likes, 279 replies

279 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi ladies

My UFE is scheduled for 20th July 16. I'm now second guessing myself after hearing about your pains.

I'd like to find out from those who are 1 year post UFE, how are you feeling now? Has the period become lighter? Do you still experience pain from the shrinking fibroids or have you shed them?

• Posted

Hello there,

I had my procedure 10 months ago and I feel great. I have my life back. I am a sociable person but due to pain if standing too long, heavy periods and fatigue, I had started to limit my outings, wouldn't stay long etc. And I would take days to recover from a late night. I am now able to go out with friends, attend concerts, parties etc with no adverse effects. The pressure symptoms I had were gone immediately after the procedure and I couldn't feel the hard lump protruding from my abdomen by the time I got back to the ward. I went from using 4 pads every 2 hours to using 3 or 4 pads a day. I no longer need to get up 2 times in the middle of the night to urinate. My anemia was gone by the 8 week mark and my fatigue was drastically improved by 3 weeks. I lost about ten pounds in the first few weeks.

So yes, I highly recommend it. I would do this procedure again if I needed to, but the pain after the procedure is intense, so I can't reassure you on that point. I felt no pain or discomfort during the procedure but 30-60 minutes after the procedure it started and I used the pain pump given to me. The intense pain went on for 18 hours. I had to lay flat for hours which didn't help as all I wanted to do was curl into a ball and cradle my stomach. I was still sore for 2-3 days but managed pain with naproxen only. I stopped using pain medication after the first week but was very weak for 2 weeks. I slowly regained my energy but it took a few months

I had a complete blood analysis at 8-10 weeks and everything was back to normal (iron, sugar, thyroid etc)

I was very anxious and nervous before my procedure but the fibroids had limited my quality of life so much, I was eager to experience the new lease on life that so many others had also experienced and I am so glad I did. I don't feel like a 70/80 year old anymore. Hav

I have my life back.

Hope this helps you have something to look forward to.

• Posted

Hi I did my on 14/4/16 the begging was bad with lot of pain , them i felt better but a Day before my periods i have terribles pains.

Up till now i'm still having pains.

It scared a litle bit.

I don't know what to do.

The blood have reduce but the pains are terrible.

I could not sleep tonight untill i take ibuprofen.

• Posted

Hi Angel,

good of to hear your experience. Am like 2 months post ops now. Still bled heavy in the first month after the ufe but last was not as heavy. Just want to know, did you shed any fibroid? Did you see any come out of you?

• Posted

I did not bleed heavy, my period is less than before ,but this is my 3 period and the blood was light in color almost rose, Not heavy but with lots of pain.not shed fibroids.

Only pains and pains but when i take naproxen it calm down

• Posted

Thank you

I appreciate your replies. Well for now I'll get ready for pain and nausea and hope all goes well.

• Posted

Hi Ruth,

I had a lot of pain and heavy clots during my period before the procedure. After the procedure I had a period straight away, I used a heating pad to help with the pain and passed a few clots and tissue. In subsequent periods I don't need heating pad anymore but I do pass a small amount of clots/tissue. Sometimes it is light in colour so not sure if it's the fibroid shedding or not.

• Posted

Hi Pearl... Remember that most of the people posting here are those with concerns or issues. People who have little or no issues are not likely looking for message boards for support.

The pain is significant but normally ends after a few days or a week. But typical recovery is 2 weeks versus 6 for a hysterectomy. There is a reason for that. I'm posting past your op date so I hope all went well.

• Posted

Hi Deanna

Everything went well. Pain was unbearable within the 1st 48 hours but now I've even stopped taking heavy pain medication. Just on ibuprofen now. Still struggling with poop 4 days later though. Had milk of magnesia and very hard tiny poop came out twice today.

• Posted

Great to read this success story as I do blame my big fibroid for making me feel litke a pensioner. How big was/were yours?
    • Posted

Mine was 17cm and 13cm in diameter. Whatever that means I'm glad they could get to it without hysterectomy. It's not all peachy for me cuz I'm kinda dizzy and out of breath, we will see as the months go by.

• Posted

MY biggest one was the size of apple and growing outside amd pressing on my bladder, the rest were smaller golf ball and grape size.
    • Posted

Oh ok. I have only one 12x13cm the size of a Melon. I have been told a 50% chance of success due to thiner arteries feeding it. I just wondered if there was a difference depending on size. As I know with certain prodedures, they don't like to do it over 10 cm

• Posted

Wow that's a big one too, mine is 12x13 Esmya & Zoladex didn't work on shrinking. So UFE is the next step. I just wondered if it was possible for really large fibroids like ours. I had heard that it was more effective for a few smaller ones. Regarding yours & mine we've only one massive one, I was told I had a 50% change of it maybe reducing by half, but no guarantees. I'm sorry to hear you are feeling rough & hope it improves quickly (& is not because you have one big one rather than multiple smaller ones) If you are out of breath, I'd suggest you should keep a close eye on things & maybe get your Dr to check you saturation rates & lungs to be sure you are ok & free from clots. Also a blood count to see re iron in case thats causing dizzyness. All the best. Keep posting let us know how you are doing x

• Posted

Hi Pearl, I struggled with pooping too. I had been before also because my fibroids were creating a blockage. But the pain meds including ibuprofen cause constipation. So drink lots and lots of water. And fiber supplements like Metamucil. But be careful... Too much of it without lots of water causes the opposite effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.