Advice please

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Ladies, I am in need of help and advice. 

I think I am in the early stages of Perimenopause and I am really struggling with it all. I am having real trouble sleeping and just feel overwhelmed by it all. I do suffer with mild depression and anxiety but this has knocked me for 6. I find myself crying at silly things and unable to motivate myself to move forward. I am 49 and none of my friends have gone through this yet. Please help!!!

4 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there! I have difficulties calling you screwloose, because i hope you are not being hard on yourself like this!!! Are you a coffee or tea drinker? I had to eliminate all caffeine its too hard on me If I drink some green tea before noon i'm ok. If I drink that in the afternoons I am not able to sleep at night or wake up in middle of night and then awake for numerous hours. Yes I know all about the crying bit and not feeling motivated. I am reading literature from Dr. Christiane Northrup and Susun Weed. I see some great advise with B vitamins from jayneejay or even the dong quai. I found this site incredibly helpful as I wasn't sure what was going on with myself and my body. Think symptoms may be similar it affects us all slightly different. Maybe keeping a journal might be helpful also. From what I understand this really is a time to go and listen within. I think this is really a time to start nourturing ourselves and listening in closely to what our bodies need and what we need and somehow make that happen.
    • Posted

Maria,

It's funny you mention caffeine because just until recently I could drink a cup of coffee in the evening and sleep like a log but now I can't. I switched to organic green tea but have to be careful with that as well. I've had some perimenopause symptoms for years now but really hit me hard after I turned 51 last year. Now I get all kinds of crazy symptoms...can't wait for it to be over and to feel normal again!

• Posted

hi nancy i think the green tea has quite a lot of caffeine in as well. Just a thought.
    • Posted

Nancy. Perhaps you could haver green tea in mornings only or early on in day. I will be 50 in a bout a months and even though I read this phase of life is like giving births to ourselves can't wait till it's all over!! Not for the faint of heart I take it...
  • Posted

Hi ladies. Hope everyone's coping with symptoms as best they can. Interested to read Jay's advice about Vit E, also saw a post about Vit D. Will start looking into how much they cost. My daughter has a Vit D deficiency (she's 8) and so I give her a supplement every day but perhaps I need to do the same for myself. Having joint pain quite often, different places every day, it seems. It's worst in my big toe joint, which I think is probably the start of arthritis and I'm seeing Doc about it next week. It's really quite severe. I've developed 2 other symptoms, along with all the other peri symptoms, flushes, insomnia, etc. I presume my new symptoms are because of peri anyway. I find I'm ravenous before meal times. My tummy feels like it's gnawing at itself because it's so hungry. Thankfully, I don't have many cravings for naughty food though and am loving my fruit and veg. So far, I don't seem to have put on much weight - long may it continue. Also, I feel like I could shower several times a day. My hair feels like it needs washing every day but I look at it in the mirror and it's not greasy at all. It just feels like it. It's all very odd. Thank goodness I found this forum. I'd feel like I was going crazy otherwise !! Wishing you ladies good health and sanity x
    • Posted

Hi Lara,

Jay is amazing isn't she!! I am so pleased as well that I can talk to others who are going through this. i know that for as long as this goes on I can put stuff out there without the fear of being judged or seen as needy!! None of my friends are going through this, or if they are they have either not suffered or are too worried to talk about it. I have recently learned that talking and sharing is not a bad thing so thanks again ladies for all your words and thoughts xx

• Posted

Hello ladies,

After a few positive days I woke this morning soooooo anxious and tearful. I felt so sick and feeling so low. I know I am due to have my period in 4 days but I never used to suffer any PMS symptoms before. Sorry to post this but I just want to reach out for some support. I feel i am leaning heavily on my hubby and don't want to be seen as a burden. 

• Posted

Hi love sorry to hear this, have you tried taking eve primrose daily? it helped me as I was very bad with PMT most my adult life x
  • Posted

I'm feeling very similar and glad I've stumbled across this thread as sometimes I wonder if I I'm going crazy. I feel very low and flat - not even tearful really, just nothing, like I've completely lost my 'va va voom'. I could always sleep any time, anywhere, 8-10 hours a night but not anymore and I'm exhausted mentally and physically. I've also been getting night sweats on and off for the last six months which doesn't help. Headaches and anxiety too.  I just want to wake up some mornings feeling positive and bright like I used to but I don't seem to be able to. I've had a hysterectomy (overies left) so it's difficult to know where my cycle is at. The doctor won't do any tests as she says it's obviously menopause and recommended menopace with sage which I'm trying now. Does anyone have any experience of menopace or would I be better off trying some of the vitamins suggested below?
  • Posted

just to say if anyone is suffering with insomnia on here i've been finding that the magnesium spray which jj recommended and some holy basil from swanson has been really helpful. I've only taken it a few days but it seems to be different to anything else has taken before in a good way. I hope it will help someone anyway. It's quite low cost and had lots of plus points. 
    • Posted

Hi rcharris

i also find magnesium oil spray amazing, i only use it twice a day, and mainly for a back problem i have,  but before bed i always take my Solgar Chaleted magnesium along with my Natecal ( Calcium & D3 in one ) and 4 sprays of magnesium oil massaged into the back pain area..

Holy Basil as far as i know should only be used short term, with breaks in between, maybe not more than 6 weeks use..

Like Maca which I have taken for 12 or more years that also suggests a break every now and then... 

have a great day ..

Jay xx

jay xx

• Posted

Hi love thanks for the tip on the magnesium spray and the feedback. I know what you mean and i'm really conservatives on these things. Some sites say it's ok however i think i only found one that said it couldn't be used long term. So i'm sticking with it for now as it is a very good tonic all round. Will let you know how i get on anyway. I'm really thankful for the feedback and tips. i'm just so happy to find something that is helping to give my adrenals & me a rest.
  • Posted

I've just come across an article on the herb Motherwort. It's supposed to heal the anxious heart and mind. If you are not taking any other medications a little research on this herb. It sounds so soothing, too.. Motherwort...I think at this stage we indeed need some mothering, if from no one else than ourself and perhaps the help of our herbal allies...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.