Ampolodine 10 mg been taking for 6 weeks now stopped

Posted , 8 users are following.

bad swollen ankles and feet /legs.

how long does it take for swelling to go after stopping tablets

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

MrsO »paul99731 • about 14 hours agoPaul, I noticed a reduction in the swelling within a couple of days but I would say it took up to about 4 weeks to disappear completely as I also had a lot of inflammation, reddening and a rash around the lower legs, the latter eventually diagnosed as varicose eczema, all due to the Amlodipine.

Hate to be negative, but it is now almost a year since I stopped amlodipine, and whilst all the other side effects have gone, I am left with the inflammation and reddening as reported above.  I doubt it will ever go now.

• Posted

Oh Annie, I'm sorry to hear that your inflammation and reddening Amlodipine side effect hasn't resolved after all this time.  The redness and rash that I developed whilst on the Amlodipine and diagnosed as varicose eczema was confirmed by leaving me with a slightly tanned appearance on the back of the lower legs.  I do follow a diet full of anti-inflammatory foods (something I started when suffering from a long term inflammatory illness) so perhaps that has been of help in reducing my inflammation quickly and successfully.

I also think that when we suffer these medicine side effects during our later years, they are more difficult to shake off.  I think the secret is not to stay on any of the drugs too long if side effects are noticed and become troublesome - I came off Amlodipine within a couple of months.

• Posted

annie255

I stopped taking Amlodipine many months ago and like you I still have a slight swelling in my left leg and the redness left by the bad rash I had is still there. Also some days I get the ache back in my calves in both my legs .

So the side effects of Amlodipine has really messed me up in reagards to my mobility

• Posted

My swollen feet ended after my son brought home a dog. Sounds crazy, but it's a fact, I had to take water pills about every other day for the swelling to go down, and never completely. The 10 mg Amlodipine was making me very tired, now not so bad, anyway the constant walking must have a positive effect, just do alot of walking, and see what happens. However this morning I had the worst cramp in my left hamstring I ever had, I thought it wouldn't stop, the pain was like a 9, very extreme, I never thought a cramp could give that kind of pain.

s.s..

• Posted

Trikkerguy, does sound as though more walking with the new dog solved the swelling.  The cramp may be because the medication has disrupted your body salts/minerals.  At least that's what I put my occasional horrendous night cramps down to.  GP advise me to do calf stretches before bedtime. Reduced magnesium and potassium/salt levels can cause cramps, and some BP medications can readuce sodium, particularly I believe the diuretics - Indapamide really worsened my leg cramps and the blood test showed that the drug had reduced my sodium levels.  Never have salt added to any food as that would adversely affect both my blood pressure and my reduced kidney function (I only have one).  Blood tests for magnesium and potassium can show if you've got a deficiency causing the cramp.  They proved negative for me, but I still try to keep up my banana intake for an extra magnesium hit!
    • Posted

Try a  large glass tonic water every evening. The Quinine does the trick. Never get cramp at night now and I have friends who have found it really works.
    • Posted

Thanks nannylynn, I will look up quinine and just check it's ok for my kidney disease.
  • Posted

My swelling never went away. never knew what is was caused from till I switched Doc's and was taken off of it. OMG what a difference. me feet and legs no longer swell and can wear rings on my fingers I haven't wore in forever!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.