Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4

Posted , 60 users are following.

We all have Graves Disease or overactive thyroid issues, most of us have been through RAI and are now on thyroxine.

10 likes, 1228 replies

1228 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Wendiwoo.

I agree with you.It's how you feel that's important.A doctor told me once that if they take too much notice of blood results then they end up treating the lab report and not the patient. A sensible doctor. I feel fine on 50 mcgs of thyroxine.I was on 50 and 75 on alternate days for a short time earlier this year as my T4 had fallen a little bit, but I didn't feel right and went back to 50.

Take care,

Marigold x

• Posted

Hi all . Well I seem to have been forgotten altogether by the hospital! Was there last in oct when I last posted and not heard anything else. Was expecting a letter with apt . Does anyone else on here have to go to the hosp rather than their gp for blood tests? I live almost opp my gp surgery and used to be able to get bloods done there but they seem to be in a dispute with hosp over paying for them so I have to travel there now. sSeems silly when docs have trained reception to do the bloods? I am feeling a lot better now though and my weight has stabilised. Have run out of propranolol and not having any palpitations so think might be euthyroid or even going the other way. am going to have to phone hosp and see what's happened to my appt.
  • Posted

Hi All. the bad penny is back ! So lovely to read your posts. Barry, I hope you feel better soon, I hate the uncertainty with this thing, still you are probably just reacting to all thats been going on for you. Sounds like you have had a lot on your plate.

Marigold, so sorry to hear about the auras, horrible things they are. When you get a cluster you start to wonder whats going on and if it will ever stop. I am tempting fate saying this but I havent had any auras since starting on heart meds and I wonder if its a combination of beta blockers and low dose aspirin which is anti

inflammatory. I wouldnt recommend low dose aspirin to anyone without checking with your GP, although you can buy it in the supermarket but I wonder what your GP might think of it. Hang on in there, it will settle down, I'm sure its relating to whats going on in our lives. Been thinking of you.

Sue, so very pleased to hear from you. I really enjoyed your post - you have more holiday adventures than anyone I know ! You are a real tonic. xx

Well I waited three months for the results of my heart scans ! Apparently my heart has an abnormal pumping action (I dont know if this was caused by the thyroid palpitations and irregular beat) but my arteries are clear. I have to take medication and been told to be as active as possible. I darent think ab out how my heart would cope if I became overactive again, I think I might fall off my perch. Still, this has all taught me to enjoy each day and everything is so precious to me now. I cope with things ok as long as I go at a steady pace and dont push it.

I hope all on hear are coping and welcome to new posters, dont know how I would have coped without everone on here when I was first diagnosed. It really does get better, it takes time but dont worry you will get there.

Kat, Debs and everyone, hope you are ok.

love

Bess. Sorry for the long post ! xx

• Posted

Hi bess ,so lovely to hear from you ,at least everything is under control although its a worry just take care of yourself hun xxx sending a big hug and kiss.Tomorrow my grandsn is coming for asleep over ,the last time he came and we were in bed talking he said nana i think you had better take me home to them that own me and they are my parents i couldnt stop laughing ,we have a special bond and he has been a god send since i lost my hubby..Marigold are your grand children getting excited ,i come to put my decorations up on monday only to find i had thrown my tree away when i lost hubby ,

Still not been to docs couldnt get an app with my own gp ,i am hoping i can get one tomorrow ,

Can anyone tell me if they feel the same if there levels go to low ,a tiredness that feels as if its pulling you into a coma like sleep ,i have this most nights about tea time and if i get up and walk about i still have to go and sit down and fall asleep for aa short while ,its a weird feeling ..but its worring me .as it doesnt feel normal ..

Welcome to all the newbys ,marigold has a good listening ear and has been here for all of us ,

.I am having 12 for christmas dinner and tea (fool me lol) heres hoping i dont get too stressed outbut luckily most of my grandsons that are coming are grown up now ..

well i better go now and make a drink all that talking has made me thirsty cheesygrin

love to you all sue xx

• Posted

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone of you has been told how, when and with what one should take one's thyroxine? I'm on 'block and replace' taking 75mg thyroxine a day. I was beginning to feel barely able to function with extreme tiredness and happened to read up on hypothyroidism on this website. Was absolutely astounded to read that thyroxine should be taken at least half an hour before breakfast with a full glass of water. Not only that, any calcium supplements should be taken at least 4 hours afterwards, as they affect the absorption of thyroxine!! I regularly took my calcium with thyroxine. So I then decided to follow the advice and voila, I immediately felt better! Why aren't we told things like this?

• Posted

Hello Bess. How lovely to hear from you. I've missed you. biggrin

It sounds like you're coping. What a long time to have to wait for the results of your heart scans. It'll probably be the beta blockers that have stopped the dreaded auras. My GP wanted me to go on them to try and prevent them. I'm thinking about it. lol Hubby is on low dose aspirin for a heart condition, but he has to have the coated tablets as the uncoated and soluble upset his tummy.

Take care, and please keep in touch, xxx

Hi Jane. I'm pleased you're feeling better. I'd chase up your appointment, it sounds like you've been forgotten. It sounds a silly arrangement to get blood tests done.

Hi Sue. Yes, out grandchildren are getting excited about Christmas. Our little gdaughter is an angel in the nativity at school next week. We were going to go to see her, but we're going to look after our grandson while mam and dad go as he can't be still or quiet for more than five minutes, and he'd spoil it for everyone else. lol

We had to throw our Christmas tree out last year as it had the mange. We have a small one now.

You'll have your hands full catering for 12, but try and stay calm. I think we try to make it all perfect for Christmas day, but really it doesn't matter as long as everyone enjoys themselves.

I'd get your bloods checked if you're feeling tired. xxxxx

Hi Stefania.You have to be a mind reader sometimes. I take my thyroxine before breakfast, but there's not usually half an hour between, and I don't have a full glass of water. It seems to be working.

Thinking of everyone.

love,

Marigold

• Posted

Hello everyone

Nice to have you back baz, sue and bess smile

Baz I still have days with anxiety so I take propanol as well when I have them days .

Bess I'm glad they have finally got your results and sorted out what you need to take ,

Sue I get the same thing about 2 to 3 pm I have to have a nap , no choice in the matter as I would fall asleep standing up I get that tired . Good luck doing the Xmas dinner for 12 smile

Marigold I don't blame you for putting the house sale on hold till it's better weather .

I've had my blood results but not happy with them , levels have changed again , the dose of tablets I was on seemed to be bringing my levels back to normal but now it's like they thyroxin just isn't working again, my ths is at 14 and t4 at 9 , they want me to increase my thyroxine to 150 a day but I just don't feel well on that much so I've increased to 125mgs .

On the plus side I've finished all the Xmas shopping now smile so I can just try and relax .

Take care Deb xx

• Posted

Stefania I take my thyroxin as soon as I wake up because if I have my breakfast soon after taking the tablets it makes me feel very sick . No more breakfast in bed lol .

Take care xx

• Posted

I would like to wish all my friends on the forum a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Best wishes to the moderators too.

Marigold

xxx

• Posted

Merry Christmas to all my friends on here and thankyou for all your support in the last year. I hope you all have a lovely time and manage to get some rest ! I am going to my daughters' for Christmas and will stay for a few days. Not sure how I'm going to get everything in my little car, stuff for the week, presents, dog etc but here goes !

Ditto Marigold, all the best and many thanks to all who keep this site going.

love

Bess xxx

• Posted

Wishing all fellow Graves' diseasers a very Merry Christmas and an enjoyable festive season!

The weather is awfully windy here (Ireland) and I hope Christmas Day will be a bright one wherever you are.

Take caresmile

• Posted

Merry christmas my friends Ho Ho Ho

Been on my feet since 7 this morning but everything is prepped for tomorrow ,my daughters have been to give me a hand so only the table to set now ,but i need a rest ,(bet i fall asleep) lol .

Bess have you got another dog Awwww ,my son has just bought a sable cocker she is gorgous and hes fell in love with her ,she gives him a bed bath every morning lol

Marigold hows you hun and the grandkids ,hope you enjoy christmas with them xxx

debs hope you have a great christmas too.

I phoned endos secretary and managed to get an app for 7th jan ,i cant cope with my T 4 so low at 10.5 i still have toooooooo many symptoms .and i am sure i dont have to suffer like this all the time ,I have a neighbours cat trying to come live with me ,its always on my window sill looking in and knocking at my door to let him in eek hes no chance lol

well i had better set the table so there is nothing to do tomorrow only cook and eat

have a fabulous christmas and a happy new year

sue xxxx

• Posted

Hi All, Old and New,

Just say down from the big Christmas clean, phew!

I'm feeling really well apart from a stinking cold and cough.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

Kat xxxx

• Posted

Hello everyone

I hope you all have had a lovely Christmas smile

Wishing everyone a happy new year smile

Take care. Deb xx

• Posted

Hello gang.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year.

Bess, I hope you managed to squeeze everything into the car, and you enjoyed your stay at your daughters.It would be a nice change for you. Take care.xxx

Hi Sue. Did you survive Christmas Day.You'd be busy. biggrinPoor cat, send him here I'll look after him. We have a visiting cat, and we feed him. He comes several times a day. We love him to bits. I think he belongs to somebody, but they're not looking after him very well.

We had a good day with our family. It was like a toy shop, and so noisy, but we enjoyed it.

I haven't been out since Christmas Day, have had the most awful cough and cold. I'm getting one cold after another, and everytime I end up with a chesty cough.It sounds like the one you had Kat. I hope you're feeling better now. I'm glad you feel well apart from your cold.

Hi Deb. Are you feeling any better? Did you increase your thyroxine? I hope you had a lovely Christmas. I thought about you when I was playing with all the toys. lol

Stefania. Hope you are ok.

Thinking of everyone.

love,

Marigold

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.