Menopausal Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 99 users are following.

Any ladies with frozen shoulder who are peri menopausal/menopausal and not on HRT should have a serious chat with a (preferably female) GP.

I suffered for ages (two male GP's dismissed the idea of it being hormonal) before being diagnosed with menopausal adhesive capsulitis by a Nurse Practitioner who researched the subject for her thesis. This is also sometimes known as menopausal tendonitis/arthritis. After a month of being on conjugated estrogen (Prempak C) it is like someone has 'oiled' my shoulder. I felt like I had completely seized up and my bicep and shoulder muscle were like concrete. I am now able to do gentle exercises to free the adhesion, and can now lift my arm (impossible for months) to wash and dry my hair/shave under arms etc. Estrogen is the WD40 of the body, and without it, in some women the soft connective tissue goes hard and brittle. Not all women suffer from joint/connective tissue problems in menopause,. but interesting it is usually the ladies who were a bit smug, because they got got to 50/55 ish with no real symptoms or hot flushes - then bam, being hit like a ton of bricks with frozen shoulder. I also had stiffness and pain in the other shoulder, other large joints, elbows and fingers. Mornings were terrible, it could take up to ten minutes to actually get OUT of bed, and sleep? Forget it, being woken with shoulder pain every half an hour.

HRT is not for everyone, but AC was ruining my life. Given that the prognosis for recovery can be up to seven years ...I decided the risk was worth it.

i would never EVER have thought that simple 'hormones' could cause so much pain and change me from being a fairly fit 50 year old into a crippled 90 year old.

Google menopausal frozen shoulder/menopausal tendonitis/arthritis and go and see your GP ladies!!

14 likes, 270 replies

270 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow! I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder exactly a year ago. 4 months before that out of the blue I was having all this joint pain. Ankles, a thumb, wrist, a large toe and my knees. I saw my pop as nd a rheumatologist and no one could figure out what it was. The test for ANA showed that it was slightly elevated which as I understand it indicates inflammation. Turmeric helped a lot. I took 2000mg a day for months and months. It was just getting better and a week later I had a frozen shoulder. Much later, an MRI did indicate that I had a tiny tear in my rotator cuff but one of the orthopedic surgeons I saw thinks that the frozen shoulder came first. No one has explained to be how and why I have a frozen shoulder. The good news is I am much, much better. I am letting it unfreeze itself after doing lots of different therapies that we're not helpful. I have continued with the turmeric, 1,000 mg a day and I take two fish oil capsules a Day Too, reading that they are also good for inflammation. I have always thought there has to be a connection to out of the blue all of that joint pain for months and months and then when that let up, the frozen shoulder came on. I have also read research that connects menopausal women and frozen shoulder. I will have to read more.

• Posted

My frozen shoulder came first THEN the joint pain, but yes it's true it's about time the medical 'industry' started to sit up and take notice of this. Meno and joint pain ARE linked and it is not a coincidence, as I have been told. Incidentally, how long did you have to wait to see someone other than your doctor? I am just coming up to two and a half years! It's over three years since the frozen shoulder started (it's not frozen anymore, just damn painful!)

Blood test showed 'no sign of inflammation ', yet I have arthritis in my fingers - that's inflammation isn't it?

• Posted

I was on hrt and still got frozen shoulder in my left shoulder and now I think but really hope not its starting in my right side. 
    • Posted

Diabetes, thyroid and other systemic issues can also be associated as can previous injuries, maybe even from heavy wear and tear if it's true frozen shoulder where an adhesive capsule forms around the joint. Menopause is known to be a contributing factor but not the only one some causes are entirely unknown.

• Posted

I’m 48 . Peri menopausal and have frozen shoulder for 5 months . Had steroid injection and weekly chiropractor . Injection worked for about a month but still had neck and back pain . I’m on hrt so I’m going to try rubbing the oestrogen gel into shoulder . I’ll try anything . I feel like I’ve aged 40 years it’s horrible and as so many of you have said nobody gets it unless they’ve been through it and themselves . I just tell people it’s like toothache but in different place . Love this site it’s made me realise I’m not just a moaning Minnie it really is vile painful and very popular condition 
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,

Thank you for all the wonderful and enlightening information on this topic! So glad I found this. You really got me thinking!

• I too suspect FS is menopause and/or hormone related. I'm 51, have been in the 'pause' for 1 year and have 2 frozen shoulders. PT didn't help, next bus stop is orthopedic surgeon.
    • Coincidentally, shortly to developing FS I quit taking DHEA because it was making my eyes hurt, increased anxiety & mental irritation. Link DHEA - FS??
    • if FS is menopause related, shouldn't the female-to-male (FTM) community be complaining about FS 'en masse' ? Can't find a single complaint on the forums! Biologically they all have/had estrogen receptors throughout their bodies. Question: high dose testosterone overrules/regenerates ailing estrogen receptors and/or replenishes collagen production?
    • like wise, men with FS whom transition to female (MTF) would miraculously cured when they start estrogen replacement therapy (ERT)?
    • if menopause related: why are shoulders typically affected the hardest? Does this area have more estrogen/collagen receptors?
    • collagen is somehow involved - but if I take it exogenously, it instills anxiety in me (possibly because it interacts with my thyroid medication?)
    • if menopause related: why are not all females affected?
    • shortly I hope to transition fully from FTM, so after commencing testosterone supplementation I will be curious to see if my bilateral FS will resolve.

The variables are numerous and for every question answered a new one(s) pop up. But its certainly a very interesting query in which the medical field has to make profound reforms.

• Posted

This is me! Just started on HRT, have a frozen shoulder, my joints are so stiff as well. I have not suffered from hot flushes or mood swings so took me a while to work out I was peri menopausal!

Cannot wait to be me again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.