Nausea 12 weeks after gallbladder removal

Posted , 108 users are following.

Had my gallbladder removed 12 weeks ago due to pain from 1 large stone. Had the dreaded diarrhea for 8 weeks but has settled. Have the most horrendous nausea I have ever experienced. It's worse in the mornings and I can hardly get out of bed its that bad. Some days it goes by lunchtime and I feel ok and other days it lingers until the evening and then I feel ok. Was back in hospital last week and other than a little gastritis everything is ok. My surgeon said it will go in time. I am just wondering if this happened to anyone else and how long did it take to go. Its starting to depress me now!

7 likes, 598 replies

598 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello,

I've read through a good chunk of these posts and wanted to see how you were doing now?

I just have surgery last Monday... So December 21st... Day 9 post op. Wonderful. Right before Christmas!

I'm now realizing life before surgery was much better than life after surgery.

My pain started towards the end of September. Just here and there. Small pains. Nothing that would last longer than a few minutes. Mid October I had a bad bout where I felt a weird sickness. I wanted to get sick but, I couldn't. I would eat and feel good then 15 minutes later want to get sick. Finally went to the hospital and the doctor was very through. She wanted me to go for a scope as well as an ultrasound but wanted me to see my doctor first. Got an appointment with him for a few weeks later... This brings me to beginning of November. He wasn't here that day it was another doctor filling in for him. This upset me a bit as I have dealt with depression and anxiety for about 7 years now. He knows my story. He's been my doctor since I was a baby. His youngest son and I actually used to hang out together. Anyways, so she got my ultrasound booked. Three weeks later I was having it done. She spent little to no time doing my left side of my ribs and stomach and spent about 15 minutes on my right side. I looked over at the screen and saw a huge ball and knew it was a gallstone. Just one. 1.2cm. Back to my doctor I go for the results even though I knew and sure enough he said yep! It needs to be removed it was enbedded. I got a referral to a surgeon he said was wonderful and he also told me "Katie, do not play hero like you always do! If you feel pain.. Go to the hospital". I'm more of a suffer in silence so I don't burden anyone type of person. So two weeks later... Beginning of December now? I have my appointment with the surgeon. He seemed.... Bored almost and said it will be in the new year before I get in for surgery! I was shocked. After dealing with this for months I had to wait again!! I never actually got sick between September to my surgery date. I missed a lot of work. The nausea became more frequent and same with the pain.

Now I'm a very active person. Im 28 years old. I have a 7 year old daughter. I play a lot of sports and she is involved with them as well. One of them is riding/competing in a discipline called "Hunter" with the horses. We love it. I am also a competitive curler. This started effecting my ability to play any of these sports on top of work. A good friend of mine from curling suggested I go to the walk in clinic and get it sorted out as the issues were getting worse slowly. I took his advice and went. This doctor actually called my surgeon while I was in his office and demanded a reason why I hadn't been booked yet and why it hadn't been removed.

The next day I got a call from the hospital with a surgery date. Everything went great during surgery. Afterwards I was sick a lot. They wanted me to stay over night but I opted out. It was one of those moments where I just wanted to be in my own bed.

Christmas came and went without much happening. Got sick once or twice, a bit of pain around my collarbones from the gas they use to inflate your stomach as it rises afterwards but other than that, no pain from the surgery itself.

Boxing Day I started feeling a bit off. I had been able to eat somewhat decently before then. But since Boxing Day I hVe gone down hill fast.

I'm down 8 pounds in 9 days. I didn't have 8 pounds to lose. So I'm a bit worried. I can't keep anything down. I went back to the hospital and for the 100th time since September I was put on iv fluid, blood work done etc. everything came back perfect. I was given Zofran through iv and then given a prescription for it. I felt great leaving the hospital but felt sick within an hour after. I was in shock when I went to get my prescription.... $110 for 15 pills! I'm a single mom, work part time, school full time and cannot afford this as I don't have coverage.

The doctor on Mondah told me to eat potatoes... Rice and bananas which seem to help. But I still get the nauseated feeling and for the first time since being up at the hospital the other day, I had dry heaves this morning. My boyfriend who my daughter and I live with, owns a construction company so he needs to be working, he comes home later than a regular job and needs to do paper work. He's morally supportive but he can't do much else. My daughter since it is Christmas break, is bored and I feel awful for her. My dad is retired but he has Parkinson's disease and doing certain things for him is tougher than someone who doesn't have it, my mom works full time and my sister is off on Mat. Leave but she lives 3 hours away.

I spent 2 hours this morning laying on the bathroom floor crying and feeling sick until I dry heaved....

I feel like this is never going to end and after hearing everyone's stories I get more upset as it seems like I am at the very beginning of this nightmare.

I start back to school January 11th and I also have a huge provincial curling tournament January 15-17 3 hours from where I live (I'm from Ontario, Canada). ..... I'm so stressed out as to what I'm going to do.

• Posted

Hi Katie,

I'm so sorry to hear your suffering. It is horrendous how we are not told of the side effects of this operation. It's been a year since mine and unfortunately for me my gallbladder shouldn't have been removed at all. Like you I had 1 stone and a perfectly healthy gallbladder. Had pains in my ribs and was told it was from the stone bouncing around. I took my surgeons advise and haven't been right since. However the reason I'm not right is because I had a large cyst on my ovary at the same time which they neglected to tell me about and I only found out about it 8 weeks later when I started vomiting. I was told it was all side effects from the gallbladder removal and very rare (which it isn't!) I believed this and spent months vomiting and dry wretching. I now know as do my doctors that the cyst on my ovary was causing most of my problems. The cyst partially ruptured and my symptoms stopped and then 2 months later it started again and I knew the cyst had grown. I then found out that the cyst was huge and had another bleeding cyst attached to it. I had it drained and biopsies on the 18th and am waiting to find out if it's cancer or not as my tumour markers are elevated. I have to say I believe removing my gallbladder was a mistake that I will have to live with for the rest of my life. I wasn't offered laser therapy which is supposed to shatter stones. These doctors are too quick to remove this organ. When I was in hospital having my biopsies 12 days ago I shared a room with a doctor from India. She told me that she sees a lot of people suffer after gallbladder removal and that in India they will only remove the gallbladder if it's diseased or infected. She told me mine should not have been removed. She said there are many people having it removed unnecessarily and left with long term problems. She said the only organ that does not have a function and has no effects if removed is the appendix. It's very early days for you. I have spoken to so many over the last year who had terrible side effects afterwards. For most it did settle down but most will find their are certain things they may not be able to eat or drink again. Acupuncture helped me a lot and acupressure bands too. I am still taking psyllium husk as I had pure bile pouring out of me after mine was removed. My doctor tells me that should have stopped by now but I'm afraid of stopping in case the diarrhea returns. Doctors know what causes gallbladder problems and should really look at treating the cause not removing the organ. It's disgraceful people are loosing organs over 1 stone which should easily be lasered. Try drinking ginger tea. Get some fresh ginger root and put some in a teapot and leave for a few minutes before drinking. It's great for nausea. Also try milk thistle as it detoxes the liver and the cause of gallbladder problems is due to an over congested liver mainly due to excess estrogen hence the reason mainly woman get these problems. If your on birth control try and get off it for a while as it causes gallbladder problems. I can totally relate to how your feeling but you will get better. I know lots of people who had nausea and vomiting and dry wretching for a long time afterwards and it did stop eventually. I'm sorry your going through this and sorry so many people suffer after this operation. Remember most will get better and have a normal life again. The body has to learn how to work without a gallbladder and that doesn't happen overnight. Take care xxx

• Posted

It's been about a year and a half since I had my 3rd stomach surgery. I had my gallbladder removed, a blockage cleared, and then quite a bit of scar tissue removed. Still up until this day, about every 3 weeks or so, I will have flare ups where I get terrible nausea and vomiting for about a day and a half. The doctors don't have an answer as to why it happens. I wasn't sure if your case was similar to mine or not.
    • Posted

hi Ashley I'm sorry to hear this. Sound horrendous. I believe my sickness is associated to the large cyst on my ovary and nothing to do with my gallbladder removal. Did you have a bowel blockage? I'm not a doctor but have had a few bowel operations over the years and also have extensive scar tissue which is why they have left me all this time without operating on the cyst. I suspect you probably have more scar tissue which is probably causing you this sickness every few weeks. As I'm sure you know scar tissue doesn't show up on any scans and can only be diagnosed by investigative surgery. Are you suffering from Constipation at all? Have they checked for any narrowings in your bowel? Could also be partial blockage which again is hard to diagnose or a kink in your bowel. I hope you get answers soon. Take care x
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed at the end of April 2014. Mine came out the hard way with the long scar as it had crystalized. I went through the diahrea for about a month. Felt great for about two months after then the nausea returned & didn't leave until today, 1/5/2016. Phenegran is all that helped the nausea. 3 times a day. From what I've read on here 8 months seems to be about the healing time as it was with me. It was a rough time but thank God it's over! Hope you don't have to wait that long. Stay away from greasy food. I'm going to start seeing what my stomach can handle now.
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder taken out  18 months ago and have been suffering from constant nausea and lack of appetite for about 6 months now. I have researched and found that maybe I need to take bile salts. I tried the ox bile (suppose to be the same as bile salts) but it didn't seem to work very well. Then I went to a natural store today and found this, Food Enzymes by Nature's Sunshine. It has 'bile salts' in it , not ox bile. I was nauseous last night and all day today. Since  I just got it today I have only had the opportunity to take it once and my nausea had left!!   The dosage is 1-2 capsules befor every meal. Hopefully I have found some relief. Maybe you can try bile salts too for some relief, hopefully. I haven't read thru all the responses yet but I wanted to post this in hopes of helping someone.
    • Posted

Denise, I also had GB out 18 months ago and have had terrible nausea for the last 16 months. I'll try the bile salts.  This is a terrible way to live.

I would love to know how you are feeling now.

• Posted

Hello Denise, I had my gall bladder out 20 months ago and have had pain nausea vomiting since it was taken out. Do you have pain or just nausea? I agree this is a terrible way to live!!
  • Posted

Hi,

I no this thread is old but i am hoping somebody can help, it all started avout 3-4 weeks ago now i thought i had trapped wind then the pain gradually got worse and worse until i was in A&E i have been back and forth ever sinse, turns out my gallbladder is full of stones, im only 24 and have now been refered for surgery as an emergancy so should be quite fast, does anybody no how long?

Also with the nausea, ok so the pain got that unbearable recently that i took tramadol etc turns out i have an infection in my gallbladder im really having a nightmare im so down about it, i havnt eated for over a week and i just constantly feel really sick and throw up alot although its mostly dry retching, please someone tell me that this is normal?

The doctor seems to think it could be down to the tramadol or antibiotics which i havnt taken for a few days now and still just as sick, feeling this sick is getting to me more than the pain and it just gets worse as the pain does, i have lost a lot of weight through this issue, i was really looking forward to my surgery to get some releif finally but after reading this i just feel so down hearted sad

• Posted

Hi Leanne

Sorry to hear your suffering. Your symptoms sound like acute gallbladder inflammation and are common when the gallbladder is badly inflamed and full of stones. I'm not sure where your living so I can't comment on how long you Will be waiting. I had mine removed privately here in Ireland. My vomiting and nausea did not start until 8 weeks after my gallbladder was removed. What happened to me was very unusual and unfortunately after months and months of being sick they finally admitted it wasn't my gallbladder at all but a large cyst on my ovaries causing all my problems. It was found when they found the stone but they didn't tell me about it until after my gallbladder was removed. I only had 1 large stone and a perfectly healthy gallbladder but had pains in my ribs which they thought was from the gallstone but it actually the cyst pushing up my organs. The cyst was aspired in December and am a lot better since with no nausea or vomiting. Try not to worry. Your obviously very very sick and your gallbladder needs to come out. For now keep away from fatty foods. Apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon 3 times a day in a cup of warm water might ease your pain. Tramadol can make you sick so stop that to see if things improve a little. Also if your on birth control or any medication for stomach acid or reflux stop taking it as they actually be the cause of gallbladder problems in some people and can make things worse. It's 14 months since my gallbladder was removed unnecessarily. I can't eat anything spicey but other than that can eat most things but don't eat much fatty foods. Also stop reading the horror stories on the Internet as it will make you worse!! I know it's easier said then done but most people do ok without the gallbladder. Good luck and take care xxx

• Posted

Hi, thanls for your reply,

I am just really upset and traumatized by all this its all happened so fast! One minuite im having a bit of pain from "trapped wind" next minuite i need an operation and am never out of pain, i just feel so helpless i am absolutely terrified of being put to sleep its one of my biggest fears so i no im going to panic when it comes to it, and i havent taken the tramadol or antibiotics for a few days and im still being sick literally 5 minuits ago, the anti sickness make me drousy so i really cannot win,

I hatee taking so many tablets, i just want to no if the pain should be constant like it is and also if i should be so sick? Im feeling like i cant cope already and just constantly crying and down i just feel like ill never get better, and thats only after 3 weeks i cant imagine suffering as long as you did xx

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

Sorry you are suffering. I have had bad trapped wind and stomach ache the last 2 days. It kept me awake quite a bit last night. I have been reading that beetroot and a handful of nuts is good for gallbladder so will start taking them.

I know what triggered it so I guess it's a gentle reminder not to eat it.

Hope you get it sorted soon. I have had 6 operations and am still here to tell the tale so please don't worry. Tell them your concerns as they are very good and might be able to give you something prior to calm you down.

• Posted

Leanne, I do hope you are much better by now. I also have terrible nausea before my GB came out. It was miserable. Unfortunately it stayed that way but is somewhat better 18 months post-op. I think my case is unusual as most people don't have the problems that I had.

Take care and I hope you were one of the majority.

• Posted

Nancy-

How long after your GB surgery did you get nausea for?  Did you happen to also have occasional fatigue?

• Posted

John, the first 2 months after GB surgery I felt ok but fatigued. After that I got sick as if I had the flu. It went on for 18 months.   That part is over now, but I got depressed being so sick every day. I am dealing with that now. 

Your nausea will pass; just don’t let yourself get depressed. 

• Posted

I have anxiety and depression after gb unnecessary surgery. Diet is restricted so much. Also have ibs. How did younget out of being depressed
    • Posted

I am still dealing with it. I take Prozac but have side effects. I take Immodium for IBS. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Nancy-

I am now almost 4 months after surgery and I still get random nausea and fatigue, some days worse than others.  I just don't feel 100% and have that blah feeling.  These symptoms all started after my gallbladder surgery.  I didn't have these symptoms before. 

Doctors have checked B12/iron/regular bloodwork and have found nothing at all.

I am wondering if I am still recovering from the gallbladder surgery, or if its something else.   

Did you get any feedback from your doctor or surgeon?  Did your symptoms go away over time?  If so, how long did they take to go away?  

How long did it take for you to say you are back to 100%. 

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks   

• Posted

Have you been tested for HPylori? I didn’t get better after gallbladder removal and tested positive for HPylori 3 months later. 
    • Posted

Two yeaars since gb removal.  Still same symptoms but have controlled diet massively, no dairy,nofat,no gluten.  The diarrhoea seems to have settled but surgeon was useless, try fibre, huh made it worse, try medication, gave terrible side effects.  I still get random nausea And gp gave me med tomhelp.  It did but nausea does not go away forever unfortunately.  The fatigue i have had to learn to live with, it has caused me to be down and i have anxiety too but anti depressants Arent the answer as they upset diet regime.  I find cutting out red meat and sticking to fish and plain food has been best option.  I saw a dietitian who guided me. Hope this helps, this op is not as simple as is made out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.